Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
@khertan: and to add just a bit to what fms has illustrated, it's not just about holding the device. But to be able to hold and use the device securely and comfortably while doing so. The thumb has to be able to reach and cover all the screen estate without compromising the grip or comfort.

FBReader will be in landscape mode only?

(it's one of the sponsored ports to maemo 5 http://maemo.org/news/announcements/...c4d7b308a308a/)

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Portrait mode and one hand operation is important in certain cases (yes, making & receiving calls) but what are you preferred uses cases? I'm curious about the real feedback we will get on this from real Maemo 5 users.
One thing I've always done or wished to do with my phones is www browsing in portrait mode. I mean, done with the E90 and the Sonyericsson p800, wished with the other communicators and at times with tablets.

There have been times I had to walk and keep something in one hand (including wife's hand :-) and had to find quickly something on the web, maybe an address or a phone, sometimes had to reserve a ticket for a trip or a show... Well you can imagine other uses from your own experience.

Being able to switch the browser in portrait mode - with optional page elements re-organization to fit into a narrower width - could be a bonus (not a showstopper, though).

Other apps or use cases that could enjoy an optional or switchable portrait mode:

* sms - texting apps - it happens you have to use them when one-handed
* shopping lists - when you're pushing your cart and keeping your baby quiet, hands are never enough
* maybe the calendar, at least for browsing (not editing)
* calculators, at least for the main operators + - * / and for currency conversions

After examining my symbian phone and my tablet, I can't think of other ones

Last edited by debernardis; 2009-09-01 at 07:52. Reason: improving English I hope

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
I'm happy sharing with you my personal experience with the N900 using the apps you are mentioning if you open a new thread about portrait mode use cases.

The Following User Says Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
I'm happy sharing with you my personal experience with the N900 using the apps you are mentioning if you open a new thread about portrait mode use cases.
I added an idea to Brainstorm, as you suggested.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fms For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
OK, here's the new thread - looking forward to read your use stories

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...377#post319377

The Following User Says Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 38 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Finland
I have a much broader question for you - is the Nokia N900 the best "phone" product you have ever used?

I have had all the communicators and now own an E71 (best ownership experience so far) and have already ordered the N900...

Speaking of which - do you have any idea when the N900 will ship in Finland?

Thanks.

Posts: 8 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
So it isn't free, it costs 10 EUR.

500 MMS of 100 kB each is 50 MB. 1500 SMS is like not even one MB. That is together 51 MB. They have to be received as well though, but I assume a 1:1 ratio, so I double it to 102 MB.

That still means you have 148 MB to burn, while MSN (IM alternative for SMS) does not even count. So obviously Twitter and the like is cheaper.

For SIP or proprietary VoIP a similar calculation can be made.

I'm not sure this case is true in every situation though, and the ability of choice, backwards compatibility and supporting a popular standard is a good thing,

Meanwhile, time for Portugal to wake up.
Nice exercise but a wrong one.

SMS and MMS are not charged to the data plan. Or MSN. Or data connections made within the operators portal.

For €9,99 you get unlimited calls between phones using the same data plan, 1500 SMS and 500 MMS monthly.

Add €10 and you get 250MB at 4 Mbits

Meaning that for €19,99 you get:

- Unlimited calls between phones with the same plan
- Free MSN
- 1500 SMS
- 500 MMS
- Unlimited access within the operator net portal
- 250 MB of data connections at 4 Mbits (Twitter and Facebook for example, irc, telnet, ftp(?))

All this on PrePaid plan.

Checking Vodafone NL PrePaid I could only find this:

http://www.vodafone.nl/prive/prepaid/meerwaarderen/

Just compare the numbers and than let me know what market needs to wake up.

Posts: 1,070 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by Zargon View Post
Nice exercise but a wrong one.

SMS and MMS are not charged to the data plan. Or MSN. Or data connections made within the operators portal.

For €9,99 you get unlimited calls between phones using the same data plan, 1500 SMS and 500 MMS monthly.
Actually, there's no limit for SMS and MMS in my PrePaid plan (Moche, TMN), and I only paid €4,99 per month, with unlimited calls between phones using the same plan (>80% of my friends and family). Portugal has a very competitive market in this area, but data planes, still a rip-off in here .

Last edited by VDVsx; 2009-09-01 at 10:59.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by jalladin View Post
Hey Benny,

what exactly were you getting at with this comment...
Did I leave any room for interpretation?

Originally Posted by jalladin View Post
if its what i think it is i'm glad to see i'm not alone here
I guess not - it's a matter of simple mathematics, given there's a user base of ~20.000 depending on which you count (talk.maemo.org or www.maemo.org). Even with the most conservative guess (3%-5%) you get several hundred up to 1.000 gay/lesbian users here.

(Although it might be that the usual statistics don't apply here: gay men usually use Apple. OTOH, 3%-5% is too low, anyway, based on my personal experience ...)

EDIT:
Oh, or did you mean your "not alone" as in "not the only one who thinks Peter's really good looking"? No official statistics on this, sorry. Time for a poll, maybe... (Architengi? Your turn...)

Last edited by benny1967; 2009-09-01 at 10:58. Reason: Add another thought...

Tags
fremantle, maemo, n900