Active Topics

Thanks Nathan, this is great.

I got the image working and all the script worked. Now I tried QtCreator, but upon trying to build HelloWorld, it gives an error:

make: g++: Command not found.

Probably have to install compiler or something..

Also, not sure about how to then compile and run/debug everything inside scratchbox, but I guess you were working on that one. That would be huge. Again, thanks for your efforts.

Hmm, I'll have to try that again -- I built and reverted a million times (it seems -- gotta love the undo disks features). I even have a 2.5 gig "apt-cache" drive that I use so that all the packages are local since pulling them takes forever even on a decent connection

I focused primarily on getting Scratchbox working and getting everything installed properly. I don't recall actually trying QT and compiling outside of scratchbox on this version of the image -- I wanted to make sure that the tutorials on the wiki (bookmarked in the browser on the VM) worked properly...

Give me about an hour.... I'm back at square 1 right now (the 550 meg clean drive) -- I need to re-install everything and see what I broke or forgot. ;-D

It might be as simple as using synaptic and adding g++ as a package you want. (I'll add it to the install QT script if it is something that simple. <g>)

Nathan

Last edited by Nathan; 2009-09-08 at 23:01. Reason: Added notes

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nathan For This Useful Post:
have you considered creating a torrent for the download? I'd be happy to participate and be a pseudo-permanent seeder for it.

Originally Posted by texaslabrat View Post
have you considered creating a torrent for the download? I'd be happy to participate and be a pseudo-permanent seeder for it.
I've considered it. -- . I'll plan on seeing if I can arrange that with the next version (with the final release of Fremantle). It makes a lot more sense to ship it as a mostly final image rather than this version that is very "early" release-ish using the beta SDK. ;-D

Nathan.

Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
I've considered it. -- . I'll plan on seeing if I can arrange that with the next version (with the final release of Fremantle). It makes a lot more sense to ship it as a mostly final image rather than this version that is very "early" release-ish using the beta SDK. ;-D

Nathan.
understood send me a pm if/when you do get ready for it (in case I miss any news in a "normal thread") and I'll fire up the good ol' transmission client I don't mind seeding a couple of iterations if you want to provide incremental updates as well...whatever you're comfortable with. I've got plenty of disk space and a fair amount of upstream bandwidth.

Originally Posted by pillar View Post
Thanks Nathan, this is great.

I got the image working and all the script worked. Now I tried QtCreator, but upon trying to build HelloWorld, it gives an error:

make: g++: Command not found.

Probably have to install compiler or something..

Also, not sure about how to then compile and run/debug everything inside scratchbox, but I guess you were working on that one. That would be huge. Again, thanks for your efforts.
Ah, it does look like I left it out -- I have updated the script. You can open a new terminal and type:
Code:
  sudo apt-get install g++ libfreetype6-dev libgtk2.0-dev
And it will install the missing g++ and libraries the QT needs outside of scratchbox.

Nathan

The Following User Says Thank You to Nathan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Finland
Thank you for all the hard work you have done, Nathan.

I had couple of issuses with the vpc image, possibly because I'm a newbie in vpc and linux:
1) My mouse didn't work out of the box, virtual machine just couldn't capture it (MX518). I googled, and found this solution:
----------------
In /boot/grub/menu.lst
Replacing:
kernel …… splash
with:
kernel …… i8042.noloop
-------------------

And mouse works after that.

2) VPC image didn't have a network card setup. I had to go to preferences, and select vpc's network card as a first nic. Maybe it was like that by design, or something else... I used RC version available in here: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/

Didn't have time to test anything else, yet.

Last edited by esakom; 2009-09-09 at 05:47.

Nathan: That worked, now the build is successful.

Also, like esakom mentioned - it is important to configure your network card with the virtual machine before running the scripts. I forgot the first time and scratchbox script just deleted itself. Just something to remember.

The mouse has been working for me without any modifications.

Well, I just submitted a boat load of (minor) fixes and modularized the scripts a lot to make them easier to maintain. (I haven't fully tested them all -- I will do that tomorrow; so if it breaks -- sorry about that... )

For those who have already pulled the image and ran the setup scripts you will need to do this next set of steps manually. If you haven't run the Scratchbox install scripts, then when you do it will handle this for you.
  1. Double click on your Home Directory
    Double Click on your Maemo_Install Directory
    Double Click on the Update_From_SVN script. (Wait)
    Double click on the Desktop Directory
    Double click on the Virtual Machine Updates

This will put the VMU link on your desktop and fix a couple more configuration issues that I have found since I released the initial code.

This new script should allow you to keep your VM in sync will any new fixes I release w/o having to manually type things in the command line. ;-)

---

pillar -> I had a couple bugs in the initial install script -- it should have been checking for network and then canceling if it wasn't detected. I have attempted to add error checking around a lot of areas and several of them I made the same mistake of forgetting to exit the script when I detected an error. By modularizing the code I fixed I believe all the missing "exit" on error issues.

esakom -> Weird I've never had a mouse capture issue either. I will try adding that as a default option on my VM and see if the mouse still works, if it does then I have no issue leaving that as the default.

esakom -> as to the networking, yes -- you have to configure it on the VM, it won't work out of the box because VPC links to your unique device id for which network.

--

Nathan

The Following User Says Thank You to Nathan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 605 | Thanked: 137 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ La Rochelle, France
Do you use Ubuntu Jaunty ?
if so did you install the patched xephyr ? the default one crashes when you click into an entry field ...

The Following User Says Thank You to fredoll For This Useful Post:

Tags
development, fremantle, maemo, maemo 5, programming, sdk, virtual machine, virtualpc, windows, windows 7