Active Topics

Originally Posted by ranbaxy View Post
Microsoft just bought the handset business unit. NSN and Nokia's patents will remain with Nokia - as far as I understand.
Nokia will be sitting on close to $20B in cash after this deal. Their telecom infrastructure business is quite strong. They would have no trouble buying Alcatel-Lucent for $5-6B and consolidating the infrastructure business. Markets agree with 35% gain in stock.

Prediction: Nokia acquires Jolla in a year and reenters smart-phone business with Meego!

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by sixracer View Post
Nokia will be sitting on close to $20B in cash after this deal. Their telecom infrastructure business is quite strong. They would have no trouble buying Alcatel-Lucent for $5-6B and consolidating the infrastructure business. Markets agree with 35% gain in stock.

Prediction: Nokia acquires Jolla in a year and reenters smart-phone business with Meego!
Agree. NOKIA spun off dead business and will sail into new and better territory. Good job by the Finnish board members. Elop was a tool to get rid of the old NOKIA, and he played it well. MS gets what they want, and NOKIA gets cash to go their own way.

NSN had operating losses as late as Q2 2012, if not later. How is that "quite strong"?

Posts: 192 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Austin, Tx
I dont want to live on this planet anymore...

Posts: 192 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Austin, Tx
Originally Posted by sixracer View Post

I would love to see Meego make a comeback, but I am not so optimistic

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
NSN had operating losses as late as Q2 2012, if not later. How is that "quite strong"?
It's just people trying to find something positive.

NSN was huge loss generator for years. Lately it has turned into a modest profit generator. Well, at least it has done better than phones under Elop.

Turtles seem awfully fast, if you spend lot of time with snails.

Everything has to end sometime. Nokia today (phones at least), Microsoft in a couple of years. The good thing: Nokia stock jumped 30%

The only thing that bothers me is I have no idea where to get a cool phone. The only device that is interesting is a Nexus, but a Nexus made by LG? No way.

I have to wonder though, what is MS thinking, I mean really? The poor thing with HW using MS Software is the MS Services. MS keep on making services that is good for MS and bad for everyone else: Win8, Xbox One, Win RT. It all ends up being bad for MS in the end. Nokia (the rest of it) will do just fine now, but MS will wither and die.

There are so many choices, and glad to see MS getting into it. Buy buying them, they own them and its clear they will pour resources. Hopefully its a good thing for consumers and for the price wars.

Posts: 496 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by pycage View Post
This would make Microsoft the only WP vendor left and they never had success with hardware
I'd suggest that the Xbox has been rather successful

Originally Posted by strongm View Post
I'd suggest that the Xbox has been rather successful
sssh... you can't count the XBox since it was a video game system...

At the end of the day, people that didn't see this coming probably rode the Nokia stock all the way down to less than 4 dollars perhaps from higher than 11 dollars.

Anyway, it's a semi-done deal and Elop comes back to Microsoft in time for Ballmer to "retire". This C-level musical chair and corporate takeover will be even better than Silicon Valley Pirates when it's made into a movie.

I can't wait.