Is there a maemo IRC channel or something - I just think it might be easier than growing threads exponentially.
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

Originally Posted by Bratag View Post
Is there a maemo IRC channel or something - I just think it might be easier than growing threads exponentially.
Yes
http://maemo.org/community/irc/

Maemo community on channel: #maemo
Server: irc.freenode.net

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by Bratag View Post
Yeah, many of us hang out on #maemo on irc.freenode.net. Keep the tone sober and non-trollish though
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

Danke. As soon as I have anything to contribute I will check it out.
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

Posts: 42 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Denmark
So the general advice is to charge the N900 to full before turning it on for the first time?

Originally Posted by Venomrush View Post
so far from what i can tell
people who are not having the mic issue did not charge their device before turning it on for the first time
I am sorry but I can't imagine there being any link between charging and failure of the mic.
Most people won't wait for the device to be charged before playing with it, nor should they.
If 90% of people don't wait before use and 2% of people have a failed mic there is a pretty good chance that the 2% of people with failures didn't charge their device, it does not prove a link.
I would have thought looking at whether the mic is properly detected with correct drivers loaded would be a good first step.
I would also say that if plugging in an external mic works then you have proved to some extent that the software is fine. I would guess that it might be a hardware problem. It may be a batch of microphone were used that were bad and that final pass out testing did not cover checking the microphone (quite likely I would have thought).

Perhaps if you can post up your serial numbers then someone at the factory can work out what hardware was put in these.

Last edited by impatient; 2009-11-25 at 16:28.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to impatient For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Ulrik View Post
So the general advice is to charge the N900 to full before turning it on for the first time?
Yup best to turn it upside and spin around three times whilst chanting maemo, maemo, maemo...

If it's a dud then it's a dud best to find out sooner rather than later!

Originally Posted by impatient View Post
It may be a batch of microphone were used that were bad and that final pass out testing did not cover checking the microphone (quite likely I would have thought).
If what people are saying about the driver not loading then it's fairly unforgivable for those units to have even made it out of the factory. Failures that can be detected in software are the easiest and most obvious ones, the microphone being a fairly critical component in the case of the N900.

Posts: 322 | Thanked: 305 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Espoo, Finland
If what people are saying about the driver not loading then it's fairly unforgivable for those units to have even made it out of the factory. Failures that can be detected in software are the easiest and most obvious ones, the microphone being a fairly critical component in the case of the N900.
damn you taiwanese... and Nokia!

If only the community knew it could have written a "Check everything on your N900 works" app and had it in extras ready for release

The Following User Says Thank You to sharper For This Useful Post:

Tags
audio, broken, dead, doa, fail, failure, lack of quality control, mic, microphone, n900, n900 recall, no audio