Active Topics

Posts: 276 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bath, UK
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
OK, let's do it subjectively using the list I provided as a basis for prioritisation - but it won't be the be-all-and-end-all.

Dave: I know you've got a lot on your plate, so suggest that it's something the council does as a group; although we'll liaise with the content committee where appropriate.

How does that sound to everyone?

Thanks in advance,

Andrew
Sounds fine with me.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Arrg, I'm going crazy waiting for the results!

I'm scheduled to attend a big Serena user conference in Houston October 8-- but my finger is poised over the cancel button in the off chance I should get Amsterdam sponsorship.

Ok... whom do I bribe?

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Okay... after mulling this over for a while I have decided to swallow my pride and submit myself for sponsorship. Heck, I'll even put together a short presentation called "Community Engagement and Effective Communication". Alright, where do I sign...
Have you submitted a talk proposal? I don't see one at - http://wiki.maemo.org/Maemo_Summit_2009/Submissions

Unless you are trying for sponsorship for something else?

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I was going to, but after seeing thoughtfix's proposal shot down I realized anything I had to cover would be too soft for the audience. My inclination would be to do a community engagement sort of talk... and I can envision the thumbs down for that.

I dunno... I was hoping I could get sponsored for post count.

EDIT: you guys know I'm being semi-facetious... right?

Semi because I really would like to go... and I'm open to any suggestions for compelling reasons I could use. In all seriousness, I am a subject matter expert on change and content management and would love to talk on that topic, but it would have to be at a high level (ie, not specific to Maemo). Thoughts?

Last edited by Texrat; 2009-08-03 at 20:25.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 263 | Thanked: 679 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Lyon, France
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
OK, let's do it subjectively using the list I provided as a basis for prioritisation - but it won't be the be-all-and-end-all.

Dave: I know you've got a lot on your plate, so suggest that it's something the council does as a group; although we'll liaise with the content committee where appropriate.

How does that sound to everyone?
Sounds great. Could you keep your discussion public, by any chance?

Thanks,
Dave.

I was going to, but after seeing thoughtfix's proposal shot down I realized anything I had to cover would be too soft for the audience. My inclination would be to do a community engagement sort of talk... and I can envision the thumbs down for that.

I dunno... I was hoping I could get sponsored for post count.

EDIT: you guys know I'm being semi-facetious... right?

Semi because I really would like to go... and I'm open to any suggestions for compelling reasons I could use. In all seriousness, I am a subject matter expert on change and content management and would love to talk on that topic, but it would have to be at a high level (ie, not specific to Maemo). Thoughts?
If you submit a proposal on what you would be talking about we can work from there. The content committee will give thoughts and suggestions to help you make it a compelling talk for the summit.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Baloo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 263 | Thanked: 679 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Lyon, France
Hi,

I don't mind a community engagement talk, but it would have to be framed right.

I don't want a presentation that can be summarised as:
  • Here's all the stuff Nokia's doing wrong
  • Here's all the stuff the community should be doing
  • Here's how to make everything better

A good community engagement presentation for me grows out of action rather than reflection. Allow me to explain.

My 'Documentation co-creation" session will talk about the successes we've had with installing MediaWiki and using it pretty effectively, integrating tmo content into wiki.maemo.org, proof-reading official documentation like the HIG, and bringing Nokia produced documentation to a point where it will be in the wiki for Fremantle, and has been available as early pre-releases for quite some time.

I won't be talking about how life is all rosy, but I will be saying "we have the tools to make a difference, we have the people to make a difference, we have been making a difference, now let's hit the home run".

If there were an area where, through your work, you have perceptively improved the Maemo community, and you believe that there are (a) lessons to be learned from that and (b) more work to be done that you want to "sell" to people, that would be an interesting talk.

Cheers,
Dave.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dneary For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by dneary View Post
Sounds great. Could you keep your discussion public, by any chance?
We'll follow the model the content committee have used, I think.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by VDVsx View Post
Also the council should take into account the karma value, IMO karma from applications&bugs is more valuable for the community than karma from tmo posts for e.g.
I've been thinking on this, and isn't this the purpose of karma weighting?

Given that:
  • karma exists specifically for assisting in summit sponsorship and device program decisions
-and-
  • the karma weighting system exists so that karma reflects the relative value of various contributions to community
then either:
  • karma scores should be used as-is by the sponsorship committee
-or-
  • the existing karma weighting system is broken and should be reworked prior to the time when the committee begins making sponsorship decisions

Last edited by sjgadsby; 2009-08-04 at 15:07.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 64 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Cambridge/London
I'm going to start looking at the possibility of securing 'discounts' on accommodation and flights for all delegates, not just those sponsored. (If that's ok? It's something I have to do for the day job anyway.)

(So total numbers extrapolated from last year would be useful. That and (new) media coverage.)

I'll set some time aside tonight to read up on the summit wiki.

Has anyone looked into this already yet?

Last edited by tonypercy; 2009-08-04 at 14:49.

Tags
summit