Notices

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by ArnimS View Post
Good news! With fOSSil's help I found (_finally_) the SDL call that triggers the problem with Xsp doubling and sdl. It applies to it2006, 2007 hacker edition and latest bora for n800 equally.
So which call caused the problem?

Posts: 1,107 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Germany
Originally Posted by fanoush View Post
So which call caused the problem?
mu

Any drawing to screen broke it, unless the updated area was 320x240.

A simple program to demonstrate the effect:

http://pupnik.de/aliens-1.0.2_Nokia.tgz

Discussion here (wherein the problem is simply denied)

http://lists.maemo.org/pipermail/mae...ead.html#10087

So far no-one has been able to show - using the aliens source above - how to update small regions in SDL without breaking xsp. (it2006 and 2007he)

Sorry, I was not clear. Yes, I know about the problem you had. I was interested in the solution - i.e what you changed to make your code working.

As I remember it was not denied, people told you that maybe you are doing something wrong (i.e. draw outside of halved coordinates etc.). So what was the problem exactly?

Thanks.

Originally Posted by fanoush View Post
Sorry, I was not clear. Yes, I know about the problem you had. I was interested in the solution - i.e what you changed to make your code working.

As I remember it was not denied, people told you that maybe you are doing something wrong (i.e. draw outside of halved coordinates etc.). So what was the problem exactly?

Thanks.
The solution was to update full 320x240 rectangles, every frame.

Well, the packages from the .fi website work just fine on my N800, even with the speech pack, 3DO music, and the remix music addons.
Very addictive game and it reminds me of the old PC game Starflight.

Originally Posted by ArnimS View Post
The solution was to update full 320x240 rectangles, every frame.
Thanks for explanation.

Hey, guys. Thanks for the great work on this!! I've been playing Ur-Quan on my PC a lot during the past week (thanks to this thread for pointing out it was available..I played either SC or SC2 a long, long time ago). Yesterday, I decided I should get it working on my N800, too. So, I downloaded ZerionSeven's package and the content files and attempted to play. I initially had problems with ZerionSeven's launcher getting uqm to run, but after launching uqm manually from xterm & playing w/ the settings, it works. It doesn't work completely, though. I get no sound from uqm. When loading, it says:
Initializing SDL audio subsystem.
SDL audio subsystem initialized.
Opening SDL audio device.
Unable to open audio device: No available audio device
Sound driver initialization failed.

So, I have to use the "--sound=none" option. Do any of you know how I can get this to work?

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Arnim:

I'm at work right now so I can't try any of the links provided.

THANK YOU. I started this thread over a year ago I think and I'm still just as excited to get UQM working. I bought Star Control 2 in 1991 (4x1.44s I think!) and gaming has never been the same since.

If you need any help in testing, I know how the game should behave inside and out:

hedgecore geemail com

(Let's see if that one gets around spam spiders)

I'm tweaking the sound for best performance right now. combat is supposed to run at 24 fps, and with all tweaks on, i see 22-28 fps right now. it is ~hard~.

The Xsp doubling is rock solid. I can hit the menu key, kill the process, do anything i want (on it2006) and i don't screw-up the display.

The onscreen button implementation has one flaw still - if you hit the edge of a button and move the thumb off it before releasing, the button gets stuck down.

As soon as the onscreen buttons are stable i'll put together a testing binary for you hedgecore. This game needs* players who can actually beat the enemies and evaluate the feasibility of combat (Super Melee).

I'm very tempted to add a difficulty slider to compensate for the suboptimal controls. Thanks for the interest and support.

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Tell ya what, just for you I'll take out every other ship using just a Pkunk Fury.

*haaaalelujah!*