Posts: 455 | Thanked: 782 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by legoman666 View Post
Why are you all complaining that html5 video is not working on the N900 yet? It does work and has been working since PR1.2RC as far as I can tell. Go to youtube and enable html5 video: http://www.youtube.com/html5

Then find yourself a video that's html5: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQp5l4-sfFA
No, it's not working, YT HTML5 video works only in WebM-enabled Mozilla browsers, and MicroB ain't one of those AFAIK...

All youtube html5 videos are available in h264. Some are also available in webm but it is not the default.

No Mozilla browser supports H.264 either, so, no, MicroB cannot access YT HTML5 either way. If you want H.264 on the web, Flash is for now the only option (short of downloading, of course).

Originally Posted by zwer View Post
No, it's not working, YT HTML5 video works only in WebM-enabled Mozilla browsers, and MicroB ain't one of those AFAIK...
Hm, it was working before. I guess you just have to luck out and find a video that uses h264 instead of webm. Did youtube switch to webm only?

H.264 video won't work either, no Mozilla browser supports it nor it will. They were quite clear on that.

YT will play H.264 video in a Flash player when it doesn't find suitable HTML5 video for your browser, maybe you just didn't notice it the first time.

Posts: 431 | Thanked: 239 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
So.. my conclusion is don't forget about flash and keep pushing Nokia to bring Flash 10.1 on this platform if you want to enjoy the video over the web in the future.

If you have basic understanding of commercial world you can get to this same conclusion. Any of content providers (BBC IPlayer, Hulu etc) will never throw their content to even HTML5 open video solution available for commercial reasons. Flash is the only a guaranty of content protection for them. You can probably see new ideas bubbles up base on HTML5 in the future but I don't think commercial world will join to this game. If will they will find solution how to protect this part anyway.

Personally I prefer Open Source solutions for ideological reasons. But because I'm living in real world (commercial world) as everybody here need some job and money to survive. Open Source is like utopia that will never gonna happen if majority will not support it. Always will be bunch of people screaming how bad everything around is but that will never help.

The sad true is, many of you here are open Source lovers. Assembly, C++, Python, java, Flash, html (and many other languages) developers. Fighting against each other depend of how close your technology is to your ideology. And measure it by how your technology is close or open. After being 3months here as member of this community I clearly see this is only divide and conquer approach. Nothing constructive to bring Open Source to reality. Yes I'm Flash developer probably fare away from this idea in your opinion. But these days nothing left from this idea to me and even if you disagree or agree with me the true is we are minority(margin) that can even talk about it... Consumers are don't care. "Divide and Conquer" is something that corporations who keeps technologies in hand, like the most. And I'm amazed the fact that so many serious developers still can't understand this simple programing rule. And how perfectly is being use against us from decades.

Please stop this pointless war who is better or worst. Who is open or close. Just use what you like and stop playing this game over and over again. Joining this tech wars you just proving yourself where you are. Noting else, nothing further or constructive at all.

Last edited by devu; 2010-06-09 at 22:35.

Posts: 1,148 | Thanked: 613 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Toronto
maybe MicroB doesnt have webM support but the latest version of extra codec package has now wee need someone to port Download helper addon for MicroB and we're good to go

FYI

"I'm a N900 user, can I haz Flash 10 plz?!11!?" © Jaffa

Elopocalypse started on 11.02.2011

Originally Posted by zwer View Post
H.264 video won't work either, no Mozilla browser supports it nor it will. They were quite clear on that.

YT will play H.264 video in a Flash player when it doesn't find suitable HTML5 video for your browser, maybe you just didn't notice it the first time.
It worked with HTML5 before.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
God! Can't I just have ALL HTML support disabled and go purely Flash+Silverlight+Javascript+Java??

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 431 | Thanked: 239 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
God! Can't I just have ALL HTML support disabled and go purely Flash+Silverlight+Javascript+Java??
hehe, Yes you can .