Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
At the moment the Maemo Devices team is focused in the Maemo 5 release and any resource available jumps to Harmattan. If you need an official word I can't give it but if a recommendation is enough then I recommend you to organize yourselves and make a list somewhere with the list of things you still need from Nokia.

Last edited by qgil; 2009-09-20 at 18:55.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Who will be our hero, our champion, our SSU-foo master?

SD69, will you shoulder the burden, buckle the armour and lead the troops?

Someone should bring this up at the next sprint. Maybe we can get an eager new council member to help, too.

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by qole View Post
Who will be our hero, our champion, our SSU-foo master?

SD69, will you shoulder the burden, buckle the armour and lead the troops?

Someone should bring this up at the next sprint. Maybe we can get an eager new council member to help, too.
I will volunteer and promote, organize, etc., but I think a developer type should mentor the project. I am not a programmer and didn't even fully understand Jaffa's 5-point plan, but I did catch the part about non-developers being able to help.

The Following User Says Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Anyone interested in having a BoF session about this at the Summit? Saturday morning looks like a good time and still has two slots open.

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by lma View Post
Anyone interested in having a BoF session about this at the Summit? Saturday morning looks like a good time and still has two slots open.
I'm in. Is definately a project worth discussing. Also in terms of community variants of Fremantle.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following User Says Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lma View Post
Good idea, especially to get some people invvolved. Unfortunately, I won't be able to attend. But I started a wiki page for Diablo community - and we can add and work on a page for software update and BoF session.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
I'm in. Is definately a project worth discussing. Also in terms of community variants of Fremantle.

Anyone else? It doesn't look like we have enough critical mass to book a BoF session yet, but let's at least meet "unoficially" during one of the breaks. Shall we say Saturday 13:00 outside N810 (also a good opportunity to grab Jeremiah)?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Offshoot thread about opening up more portions of code is here.

Posts: 34 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Bulgaria
BTW, something that I*think has not been said yet...

In my opinion Mer and Diablo are not necessarily two alternatives. I think it should not be difficult to build a version of Mer that includes the old libraries of Diablo and is binary compatible with Diablo and maybe even has the libraries of Fremantle only as an option. The choice Matchmox/Fvwm/whatever can be made after the installation of the OS even without restart of the OS. If the user selects Matchbox, the result would be an improved Diablo with possibility to install the software both for Diablo and Fremantle.

Originally Posted by Fontus View Post
BTW, something that I*think has not been said yet...

In my opinion Mer and Diablo are not necessarily two alternatives. I think it should not be difficult to build a version of Mer that includes the old libraries of Diablo and is binary compatible with Diablo and maybe even has the libraries of Fremantle only as an option. The choice Matchmox/Fvwm/whatever can be made after the installation of the OS even without restart of the OS. If the user selects Matchbox, the result would be an improved Diablo with possibility to install the software both for Diablo and Fremantle.
Although there is overlap, I believe that Mer has already dropped binary compatibility with Diablo.

Read and contribute to:
http://wiki.maemo.org/Diablo_Community_Project

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:

Tags
backintime, diablo cssu, diablo turbo