Active Topics

Poll: Which OS will be the first choice on your Nokia N900?
Poll Options
Which OS will be the first choice on your Nokia N900?

Posts: 119 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Brazil
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
That appears to sum up the overall sentiment. But I would add "avoids or reduces confusion".

(poll needs an "either one" option)
I would add the option "Dual Boot" in this poll as well!!!

Or going more insane... how about build a ARM-based hypervisor based on Xen or KVM to run both at the same time!??? That way we could have not only multi-tasking, but multi-OSing

Originally Posted by qgil View Post
MeeGo will be released officially for the N900, since the N900 is the reference ARM hardware of the MeeGo project. See http://wiki.maemo.org/What_can_we_re...or_my_N900_.3F and related questions in that wiki page.
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Maemo 5 users will have choices. Some of them will prefer to stay with Maemo 5 updates, some of them will prefer to jump to MeeGo updates (probably with different flavors to choose depending on your preferences).
@qgil, just to be clear, does this mean that Nokia has now a final decision to support the "end user" version of Meego on N900?

The first post could be interpreted as the Meego developers version already available right now (without graphical UI), but the second post was more direct. But the wiki page currently states that Nokia hasn't either confirmed or denied Meego official support on N900.... Maybe there was no time to update the wiki, so can you please tell what is the official position from Nokia?

If this is confirmed, I suggest to also publish in the http://maemo.org/news/ section, since it would be a more direct way than through posts on the forum.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to russo_br For This Useful Post:
Personally I want maemo.

Probably after ~6 months when MeeGo reaches PR 1.2 too I'd be interested in a dual boot.
No beta testing can replace real world customer experience and suggestions. No need to rush MeeGo.

Either way if nokia supports this officially this is indeed a gesture of good faith from them and I'll think trice before I change to another brand.
If not... well I'm unfortunately used to that.

Posts: 229 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Bulgaria
I think it is interesting question.

With current Maemo 5 stage we are as laboratory mouses - we have good mobile device, but with not all functionality - not so good phone functions (phone book, sms, profiles), not good GPS maps, etc.

So, I personally prefer MeeGo - I know that at this moment it is not polished, but has good future and it is worth to invest in it. We will still feel as laboratory mouses for while, but will have faith that soon will get good and up to date OS with excellent functionality.

Regards.

The Following User Says Thank You to jorjino For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Bec View Post
Personally I want maemo.
Probably after ~6 months when MeeGo reaches PR 1.2 too I'd be interested in a dual boot.
No beta testing can replace real world customer experience and suggestions. No need to rush MeeGo.
I think most of us were aware that Maemo was a platform in development and it would take sometime to be mature/polished. The Meego announcement was changed the scenario since it is clear that's where Nokia and Intel will invest most of their resources on its development.

But let's face it, those who adopted Maemo probably like to be early adopters and thus participate in all the O.S. polishing process. So the same users will probably be tempted to install Meego 1.0 as soon it is launched, specially if it comes with attractive new features and UI, which is what everybody expects.

Originally Posted by Bec View Post
Either way if nokia supports this officially this is indeed a gesture of good faith from them and I'll think trice before I change to another brand.
Me too!! Meego won't be exclusive from Nokia, so they need to differentiate from competitors. More than a gesture of goof faith, it is a business decision which defines whether old customers will remain loyal to Nokia or not.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by brera View Post
what either option do you want? And how change a poll?
Like I said: "either one". A "don't care" selection. Unfortunately polls can't be changed; my comment was an FYI.

Banned | Posts: 206 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Vancouver
If intel can provide me with an OS that provides basic apps such as email, calendar, and media player that do more than the bare minimum that one would expect from such an app I'm in. Also portrait mode. It makes me irrationally furious when I have to put down what I'm doing to send a single-word sms reply when every review I read for the N900 said that portrait support was promised to come "any day now". I feel kind of ripped off and MeeGo has the promise to remedy all this.

Last edited by ZShakespeare; 2010-04-22 at 14:05.

I'm always willing to try new things so yeah MeeGo 1.0

Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
The moment MeeGo surpasses Maemo 5, I won't hesitate to switch.
Until then, good old Maemo.

Originally Posted by russo_br View Post
I would add the option "Dual Boot" in this poll as well!!!

Or going more insane... how about build a ARM-based hypervisor based on Xen or KVM to run both at the same time!??? That way we could have not only multi-tasking, but multi-OSing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNo6pn-dnSQ

does anybody know what happened to this very cool vmware development?

Tags
continuity, support, you wish