Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
I'm in a dilemma here... My interface is in Qt. Unfortunately, the release firmware contains an old version of it, which is missing out a lot of UI goodies (for example, it doesn't even have finger scrolling, ugh). So, I have the choice of pushing that into extras, which would be a pain to use and only cause a lot of frustration. On the other hand, if I use the new-n-shiny version of Qt, my App will be confined to extras-devel, out of the reach of ordinary users... The PR1.1 firmware update which is supposed to happen this year (not much left of that, eh, Nokia ? ) should contain a newer version of Qt, so basically that's what I'm waiting for now in order to make a proper release.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 236 | Thanked: 223 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ NE UK
Release early, often, etc...

The Following User Says Thank You to kwotski For This Useful Post:
As long as it adds functionaliy, I would think an early release with caveats would be welcome.

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
I'm in a dilemma here... My interface is in Qt. Unfortunately, the release firmware contains an old version of it, which is missing out a lot of UI goodies (for example, it doesn't even have finger scrolling, ugh). So, I have the choice of pushing that into extras, which would be a pain to use and only cause a lot of frustration. On the other hand, if I use the new-n-shiny version of Qt, my App will be confined to extras-devel, out of the reach of ordinary users... The PR1.1 firmware update which is supposed to happen this year (not much left of that, eh, Nokia ? ) should contain a newer version of Qt, so basically that's what I'm waiting for now in order to make a proper release.
Hmm, that's a messy situation, I agree. Could you statically link the latest Qt into your app until the new Qt becomes available officially?

Is this going to be a problem for all Qt apps?

Originally Posted by pelago View Post
Hmm, that's a messy situation, I agree. Could you statically link the latest Qt into your app until the new Qt becomes available officially?
Whoa, that's a hefty 50-100MB extra we're talking about here...

Is this going to be a problem for all Qt apps?
I see some potential problems in upgrading (i.e. some apps using the old, some the new version), but let's not jump to conclusions on stuff that has work-in-progress status.

The Following User Says Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by buurmas View Post
As long as it adds functionaliy, I would think an early release with caveats would be welcome.
The caveats are severe, like missing widgets and inability to set certain parameters, combined with stylus/keyboard only navigation, in addition to IIRC 'stock' Qt not being optified. Really, it's more trouble than it's worth ATM, especially if PR1.1 does land in the next 10 days.

The Following User Says Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 129 | Thanked: 60 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Castello d'Argile (BO)
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
Whoa, that's a hefty 50-100MB extra we're talking about here...
When you're statically linking a library, the linker will not add unused code to the final object: only used functions will be copied, so it's quite likely the extra size will be much much lower, comparable to dynamic linking.

I'd give it a try, worse that can happen you prove me wrong

I'd certainly be happy with an extras-devel release to try out

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lardman For This Useful Post:
Long story short - current distributed 4.5 sucks and 4.6 has a bug that causes locks in my dbus code. Two possibilities:

a) PR1.1 includes a more recent Qt 4.5 that actually includes most of the things that make Maemo 5 what it is. In this case I push a 4.5 version all the way to Extras upon PR1.1

b) PR1.1 still includes a buggy and/or outdated Qt 4.5, in which case I move to 4.6, no Extras version until April, -devel version when a 4.6 that includes all the necessary git patches lands in -devel (or, Qt Mobility gets another release with more Maemo 5 support).

@aboaboit: Qt is a seven headed monster in that respect. I use 4-5 Qt modules extensively, so they WILL bring in a whole lot of the code, maybe not 100MB, but certainly more than I would be comfortable with.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
this does sound like a great app.

Ive thought about GPS set profiles a lot over the years, especially for things like at the cinema or at work. it would be great if you could: the first time you went to an area, select add new GPS Profile Location, it would then turn on GPS (if not on) and get a lock on your location if possible and turn gps back off again if not on before. You could then set the area of the GPS profile so 100m radias of location 1000m radius, city, etc. You could then also set accuracy. for instance maybe you need your phone to know the second you leave somwhere so for this GPS should be on when you are in this location to make sure you have the most up to date information. or you could have low accuracy so the phone could use the cell towers and when it detects you have moved initiate the previouse profiles (or selected second profile i.e. enable "this" profile when out of GPS location") obviosuly it should also be able to run apps based on location and turn off features. for instance when on the home wifi i dont need gps because im at home so it could turn it off.

also do you think the app could detect if you were moving at a rate of speed? say over 15 MPH, maybe could trigger a traveling profile with a set time delay so for instance you are moving over 15mph and stop at traffic you have a time delay of 10 mins before the profile will change which starts counting down you start moving again above 15mph and the timer stops and starts again from the top next time you stop moving. i only thought about this as someone mentioned auto texts respons's somehting like im driving in my car at the moment if your message is urgent please call me.

hope some of these features make it into an app.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stevebratt For This Useful Post:

Tags
cron, power save, scheduling, shepherd