Notices

Posts: 133 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Long Island, NY
Originally Posted by carlit0x View Post
you only need ti install lfocus_0.309-1_all.deb , download it from the phone and execute the file, then app manager will do the work for you
thanks for the quick reply...will give it a go and report back!!!

Originally Posted by carlit0x View Post
when i run this command /usr/share/lfocus/v4l2-ctl -d /dev/radio0 -f 87.5

it says /bind/sh: /usr/share/lfocus/v4l2-ctl NOT FOUND
ITs giving me the same error, (how do i copy/paste in X-Terminal?) i checked what i typed, and it matches to what it says in the guide...but still no luck...re-starting my phone and will try again see if it works (i didn't restart it after i installed the ifocus).

use copy and paste, you can paste on xterminal clicking on the top of the app

The Following User Says Thank You to carlit0x For This Useful Post:
NVM got it...forgot to turn on the FMTX before i put the command in X-Terminal!!!

how can i edit the fmboost file? when i try to open it with gpe-manager (with root) i am unable to open the file (i have leafpad installed in my n900) but i cannot select it (via open with...), so i cannot edit the fm-boost?

How can i get around this? i have MC installed as well, but have no clue as to how i can use it! (obviously imma noob)

thanks for your help!!!

Last edited by ppriyank; 2010-04-04 at 20:10.

Posts: 739 | Thanked: 220 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Surrey, UK

Here is an example of mine:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
/bin/echo 120 > /sys/class/i2c-adapter/i2c-2/2-0063/power_level
/usr/share/lfocus/v4l2-ctl -d /dev/radio0 -f 87.5
exit 0
If you are using simple-fmtx-widget and have set it up to execute fm-boost you can now turn on your fm transmitter and immediately tune it down by just tapping the widget.

Have fun!
when you have followed all the instructions and added the above to the correct file - shoul you be able to change the frequency to 87.5 with the simple fm widget?

Mine will only go down to 88
There is a way that seems right to a man, but in the end it leads to death. Proverbs 14:12

WOW finally managed to fix the boost file via MC, but when i try to use the fm transmitter, I still cannot select 87.7 as a frequency...the lowest is still 88.1 what gives?

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
I have the transmit widget with the boost. So how do i mod my fm transmitter to frequencies less than 88.1 with a single press of the transmit widget?

Thanks

Originally Posted by sachin007 View Post
I have the transmit widget with the boost. So how do i mod my fm transmitter to frequencies less than 88.1 with a single press of the transmit widget?

Thanks
it is actually already written in my previous post. if you don't know how to edit a file on the N900 try this:

there are different editors available. I for one prefer "nano". other options are "vi" (a bit more complex) and afaik midnight commander or "mc" for short. The following steps will explain how to edit files using nano.

Get superuser (root) rights. Install rootsh if not done yet, open the terminal and type
Code:
sudo gainroot
Install nano
Code:
apt-get install nano
Answer any questions with "y" for yes.

Next, open the file you want to edit, in this case /sbin/fm-boost
Code:
nano /sbin/fm-boost
You can now edit the contents of the file. after you are done type ctrl+x to exit the editor. A question will pop up on the bottom asking you if you want to save your changes. Type "y" and press enter and you are done.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mzanetti For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by mzanetti View Post
Yay! Got it!

According to the drivers documentation found on http://www.mjmwired.net/kernel/Docum...nux/si4713.txt the transmitters lower range is 76 MHz. However, the limit on mine is set to 87.5 MHz. I guess this depends on where you bought the device as 87.5 is also the lower limit here in Germany.

You can check the limits on your device/region by executing
Code:
cat /sys/class/i2c-adapter/i2c-2/2-0063/region_bottom_frequency
The transmitters properties (such as the current frequency) can be changed using a tool called v4l2-ctl. I have found a binary compiled for the N900 in this thread:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=46427
Go there, download and install the provided package (lfocus).

After installing lfocus you should have the tool v4l2-ctl installed in /usr/share/lfocus/v4l2-ctl.

Now start your FM transmitter. v4l2-ctl will work only while the transmitter is on.

Set the frequency by executing the following command as root:
Code:
This will set the frequency to 87.5 MHz. Change the value to your desire within the valid range.

PLEASE INFORM YOURSELF ABOUT THE LOCAL REGULATIONS FOR FM TRANSMITTERS AND MAKE SURE THAT YOU DO NOT VIOLATE THEM!!!

Optionally you can change fm-boost to switch frequency every time by adding the above command in the file /sbin/fm-boost. Make sure you insert it after the "#!/bin/sh" and before "exit 0"

Here is an example of mine:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
/bin/echo 120 > /sys/class/i2c-adapter/i2c-2/2-0063/power_level
exit 0
If you are using simple-fmtx-widget and have set it up to execute fm-boost you can now turn on your fm transmitter and immediately tune it down by just tapping the widget.

Have fun!
You da man!
...and why yes, I am having fun.

Just so everyone is clear on this, Installing lfocus with the v4l2-ctl tool will not magically add lower station indicators to the FM transmit tuner.

It will however, allow V4l2-ctl to change the frequency via the command line. In fact, when it makes this change you won't see any difference in the tuner. If the last frequency you had it tuned to was 106.5, it will still show 106.5. However, the N900 will now be transmitting at the frequency specified by the command you or your script entered..

The ideal set up would be to change the FM-Boost script and add the command line to it as shown in mzanetti's post.

I did this and don't even mess with ifocus or the command line once ifocus was installed. Just plug in your charger, fire up Media player, tune to 87.9 in your car, make sure FM transmitter is enabled, and then push the FM-Boost button on the desktop.
BAM! Wall to wall sound dude.

In the US the 87.5 frequency has been reassigned by the FCC for digital TV broadcasting. 87.7 is the DTV buffer frequency and 87.9 would be the FM radio buffer frequency. As a result of this reassignment, newer radios and the N900 do not tune below 88.0 as built.

So IMHO, (I am not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV.) if you are going to use one of these reassigned frequencies, be a good neighbor and stay out of the assigned DTV freq. of 87.5. If you stick with 87.9 and there are men in black driving the highways in vans with antennas sticking out of them like porcupines, the squawk they here as they drive by your set-up could be construed as just FM frequency bleed and not some one intentionally jamming an FCC assigned channel.

Edit: Through some more reading I now believe 87.9 is still an assigned FM frequency... No one uses it commercially because now most new car tuners won't go below 88.0.

SLN member # 009

Last edited by YoDude; 2010-05-14 at 01:13.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Originally Posted by mzanetti View Post
it is actually already written in my previous post. if you don't know how to edit a file on the N900 try this:

there are different editors available. I for one prefer "nano". other options are "vi" (a bit more complex) and afaik midnight commander or "mc" for short. The following steps will explain how to edit files using nano.

Get superuser (root) rights. Install rootsh if not done yet, open the terminal and type
Code:
sudo gainroot
Install nano
Code:
apt-get install nano
Answer any questions with "y" for yes.

Next, open the file you want to edit, in this case /sbin/fm-boost
Code:
nano /sbin/fm-boost
You can now edit the contents of the file. after you are done type ctrl+x to exit the editor. A question will pop up on the bottom asking you if you want to save your changes. Type "y" and press enter and you are done.
I tried to install nano via xterm but could not because it says it needs 310 mb. Anyway i am going to hold on until someone makes the change in the fm boost program.

Thanks for the help guys.