Posts: 230 | Thanked: 302 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Helsinki, Suomi (Finland)
Is it only me or does it seem like Nokia's management is intentionally trying to trip N9 by excluding it from largest potential markets? (Germany, UK, US)

Maybe they don't want it to be compared to upcoming Windows Phones. Imagine if customers think that N9 is superior, then it would be really hard for them to coinvince shareholders that killing MeeGo development and going for WP is the right way to go.

I add 1+1 considering mindless PR Elop and co. made by openly dissing Symbian, while hyping WP that they don't even have yet and I can't help thinking that it's Microsoft pulling the strings at Nokia's executive board. All these decisions have only hurt Nokia and sent it's market value crashing down.

I know the saying "Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence", but are Nokia execs really that incompetent?

Vodafone have no intention of stocking it here (unles Nokia decide to launch it in the UK):

Good Afternoon Mr G,

It is my understanding that currently, Nokia have no plan to release the N9 in the UK via Mobile Networks.

Their last statement and update was that they had no plans to release it in the UK. While we would consider it if it became available, currently Nokia have not changed their position on releasing the handset.

As per your email from Mr Elop, it appears they are releasing mainly Windows Mobile 7 handsets rather than Symbian or Meego devices; and this may have impacted the possibility of releasing the N9.

If Nokia do change their stance, the Coming Soon section is where it would appear prior to release.

Kind Regards

Directors Office
For and on behalf of
Guy Laurence
CEO UK
Mobile: 08080 044 477
Email: vodafonedirectorsoffice@vodafone.com

Vodafone UK, The Connection, Newbury, Berkshire RG14 2FN Registered in England No 1471587
vodafone.co.uk

Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Well... that's obvious...
If the source updates you with how the approach went, please share.
Sounds like it could be a positive development.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oweng For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
^ Thanks, posted in the: "N9: it's finally here" thread.

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,259 | Thanked: 1,341 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
The decision is made based on devices they are planing to release in the future. But I don’t understand, haven’t they already stated that the N9 will be the last MeeGo device?

So this makes absolutely no sense.

Originally Posted by Helmuth View Post
The decision is made based on devices they are planing to release in the future.
Not necessarily.

But I don’t understand, haven’t they already stated that the N9 will be the last MeeGo device?
Nokia never said that.....
The correct English translation of what Elop said, contradicted what mainstream media claimed.
Others tried to point that out to sites like Engadget etc, but they refused to run with it.
Trawl for it in the massive... "N9: it's finally here" thread.

It's never been officially stated in English (press release etc), that "the N9 will be the last MeeGo device".
But never let the facts get in the way of a good story, says the interweb BLOGS

02 have no intention either!

Quote:

Dear Mr G,

Thank you for writing to Ronan Dunne about being able to purchase a Nokia N9 with a contract from us. I understand Nokia CEO Stephen Elop advised you they’re expecting to have this phone available through some online retailers in the UK.

I’m sorry but we’re not planning to provide this phone to our customers for either a mobile contract or Pay & Go. We review the phones on our stock list regularly and test new phones which are launched before deciding if they’re compatible with our products and services and whether we’d like to provide them to our customers. We’ve decided instead to promote other phones on our stock list which we believe will offer our customer a wide range of features and good value for money. I’m also not aware if or when other online retailers may offer the Nokia N9 in the UK. I understand it’s been largely reported in the press that Nokia don’t intend to sell this phone in a number of countries including the UK. If you’re able to obtain this phone from another provider, please be aware this may not work with an O2 SIM as our SIMs are only guaranteed to work with the makes and models of phones we provide to our customers.

For further details of the phones we currently offer, please visit your local O2 store or have a look at our website www.o2.co.uk and I hope we’ll be able to provide a phone that’s right for you. If you decide to take a new contract with us, you can do this in one of our stores, on our website or by calling our sales team on 08442 020 202 and we’d be happy to help.

Although we can’t provide the phone you’re looking for, I hope this is useful for you. For any further queries about this, please call me on 0845 330 0683. Alternatively if I’m not available, one of my colleagues would be happy to help and we’re open between 8am and 6.30pm Monday to Friday. .

Kind regards

| Telefónica UK Limited
Executive Relations
T 0845 330 0683

Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Dear Stephen,

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU.

Regards,

Angry Dev

Sent from my N950

My website

GitHub

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
"This is bad... ookayyy..."

The Following User Says Thank You to catbus For This Useful Post:
Well now that we have Mr Mackey on board there should be no problems.

Drugs are bad...

Originally Posted by catbus View Post
"This is bad... ookayyy..."

I don't think these telco's are making the decision not run with the N9, purely on the basis that it's a bad product compared to WP, as Elop subtly tried to suggest.
There's much more going on, that we're not being told about....