Posts: 41 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Kirkland, WA
Typing "sudo gainroot" shows this:

Posts: 589 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ london
air

it wont give you any feed back

once you have done the fix echo 0 etc(which if done correctly wont give you feedback so you have 99% successfully implemented it)

type

cat /sys/power/enable_off_mode

if the value underneath shows 0 you have done the fix if it shows 1 you havent

this is only a temp fix so when you reboot/ power off /run out of juice, you will have to do the echo again..

to enable the vitual keypad you press blue arrow then ctrl same time u dont have to shut the keypad.

Last edited by mysticrokks; 2010-01-06 at 15:34.

Posts: 41 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Kirkland, WA
just thought I'd let you guys know that I have installed the new updated firmware and restored the config file to factory settings. I will be testing to see if I get any reboots.

EDIT: Ughhh, 5 reboots in the last half hour... I guess this firmware doesn't fix the problem.

Last edited by gravis86; 2010-01-12 at 03:02.

1.2009.44-1 firmware definitely do not fix the bug as said before but there's something you could test after the upgrade. But just if you have seen disabling enable_off_mode to be useful/workaround with 42-11.

Set enable_off_mode , sr_vdd1_autocomp and sr_vdd2_autocomp to 1 in /etc/pmconfig file and reboot. What it means is that then you enable SmartReflex power saving feature.

When SmartReflex is enabled, enable_off_mode (AFAIK off_mode, whether it's enabled or disabled) seems not to have any effect to the random rebooting bug (https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=6334). No random rebooting after doing this which seems to be interesting.

The Following User Says Thank You to tavellan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 819 | Thanked: 806 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Oxnard, Ca.
What program do you edit and open up that /etc/pmconfig file with without changing its format or messing it up?

Posts: 589 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ london
Originally Posted by tavellan View Post
1.2009.44-1 firmware definitely do not fix the bug as said before but there's something you could test after the upgrade. But just if you have seen disabling enable_off_mode to be useful/workaround with 42-11.

Set enable_off_mode , sr_vdd1_autocomp and sr_vdd2_autocomp to 1 in /etc/pmconfig file and reboot. What it means is that then you enable SmartReflex power saving feature.

When SmartReflex is enabled, enable_off_mode (AFAIK off_mode, whether it's enabled or disabled) seems not to have any effect to the random rebooting bug (https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=6334). No random rebooting after doing this which seems to be interesting.

thanks for that. have you noticed if u get better battery usage thisw way

Posts: 43 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
Hi guys I checked my device after it rebooted, it did it just as i finished reading when to check it lol, it had the watchdog problem so I have disabled it permanently but I was wondering will nokia fix this issue? or would it best to return the phone for a new one?

For me that will involve sending it to America and I'm in canada which will take ages! but there is only so long I can wait before a new one is not an option.

Does anyone know if this can or will be fixed soon?

Nothing really new. What I have seen (reading posts in bugzilla) is that some people seems to have beta testing version 1.2009.51-1 which will provide the real workaround for this issue. Just have to hope that Nokia will get it out soon with some official announcement/explanation about the bug.

Followed discussions so far, this seems to be a bit trickier problem which is something between the hardware and software... it's very difficult to draw the line and takes time to find out and fix.

You have two options:
1) You can try to wait and survive with these workarounds... this is what I have done and going to do since I am pretty pleased to the device and user experience itself (+ it's open for any kind of hacking)...
2) ...or you can try get replacement, though that might take some time as said. I believe that most of the non-technical skilled customers who are having the bug have done so. Don't know how willing the company or the resellers are to do so but maybe it's quite easy since nobody can't really do anything to fix it. Of course there might be some country specific rules.

If the support people do recommend workarounds (e.g one I posted) or they have fixed it with one, it's not good enough... One worry is that I believe there's also certain possibility that you could get back the brand new device with the same bug...

Originally Posted by mysticrokks View Post
thanks for that. have you noticed if u get better battery usage thisw way
Yes I did, though I haven't measured it. It's not a huge difference in very active daily use (e.g. Web browsing a lot via WiFi and 3G) but the difference is seen in idle times.