Closed Thread
It's all typical circle-jerking behaviour. Trolling stopped standing for what it originally meant to ages ago. It now stands for "I'm inconsiderate of your viewpoint and would rather try and make you look bad".

This is the point that I give up on the thread because people come on saying "MAN, THIS THING IS GREAT!!!111 I USE AN EXTERNAL GPS AND ITS FIEN!!"

Right. So you buy something that *advertises* internal GPS to use external GPS. I don't need to be called a troll to have my point internalized by the fan club: That's a load of asinine BS.

I don't care what class of device you purchase - high end or low. With electronics, there's the expectation that it will at least be able to perform basic UI manipulations without incurring input lag and long pauses of unresponsiveness.

Calling me rude or uncooperative because I won't lower my standards for your sake is fairly backwards. Calling me a troll is a waste of your energy as I paid for the device and am more than entitled to put up truthful information about it. Truthful information that others can confirm.
I'm not splitting hairs here, this is the kind of stuff anybody could expect of any electronic device.

On the subject of trolling, I'd like to see somebody else do a count of the number of baits thrown out in this thread since I started it. Some in regard to my name, some speculation on whether I'm single, some about how I'm a sucker for paying $400 for something that's $200.

There's the true meaning of trolling right there. But the intent to lie and intimidate rings too appealing for most people here. I'm glad you could get over the N810 being a slow unresponsive brick, it's a testament to your manhood all around.
Sadly, I have better things to do with my time than watch menus slowly redraw and my updater to hang constantly because of bad *nokia* images, repositories, packages, etc... I have better things to do with my money than buy devices to supplement the N810's shortcomings, the bottom of the box advertises every fair expectation I make.

The N810 is simply not fit for purpose, as advertised.

No denying that, heckle all you like.

The Following User Says Thank You to Omega For This Useful Post:
Posts: 480 | Thanked: 378 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Chicago-ish
Like I said... advertised where? And to do what? Maybe if you had specific problems, we could help you...

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
1) the device was expensive; $400 is really a lot for a slow surf-tablet; this cannot be denied

2) the device does not live up to your expectations (it hasn't reached maturity for mainstream marketing yet)

3) not all people know what to do with the device. you obviously don't, but why did you buy it then? Nokia was never advertising for the N810 as it's not ready for mainstream

4) cry or whine as much as you want, but still, you perfectly fulfil the definition of a troll, so don't get upset when people start to call you like that

The Following User Says Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pycage View Post
1) the device was expensive; $400 is really a lot for a slow surf-tablet; this cannot be denied

2) the device does not live up to your expectations (it hasn't reached maturity for mainstream marketing yet)

3) not all people know what to do with the device. you obviously don't, but why did you buy it then? Nokia was never advertising for the N810 as it's not ready for mainstream

4) cry or whine as much as you want, but still, you perfectly fulfil the definition of a troll, so don't get upset when people start to call you like that
If anyone is a troll, it's you. Disagreeing is not trolling and just because you have no solid ground to refute what I'm saying (or read any of it it seems), doesn't make me a troll either.

See, you've reduced this to a simple discussion of status. You have nothing to bring to this argument except hatred and disrespect.

Hi,

Has anyone, including Omega, considered one thing?

Maybe the unit is defective and needs to be replaced?

I just base this on the symptoms and the fact that Omega looks to be in the minority as for having the issues listed in the first post.

I would call Nokia, if it is still under warranty, explain the issues and get it replaced.

Just a suggestion there, though.

As for the reactions of members here, when it looks like you are attacking their judgment in devices, they get a little or a lot defensive, just a fact of life.

Could the OP have been a little more diplomatic on how they worded the first post? sure but they were venting, letting the anger go.

This is after all, supposed to be a support forum, or so I thought.

Omega, sorry you are having issues with your IT and, apparently soured on the platform but maybe you will consider the newer IT when they are announced.

David

Originally Posted by TrueJournals View Post
Like I said... advertised where? And to do what? Maybe if you had specific problems, we could help you...
On the box:
"Helps you find your way with built-in GPS."

That's a joke. The GPS is a joke, even with A-GPS. You move and your lock is lost. Totally helpless, I could find my way better with a hunting dog and a Ouija board.

Internet calling with built in web camera. Funny that the device doesn't even ship with installed software to do any of that. Only stubs to install underdeveloped clients. It doesn't even come with a snapshot program.

Updates and the repositories are a nightmare, barely working most of the time. I have to continually attempt updates. That was before Nokia tossed the N810 off the back of the truck as well (as evidenced by countless threads here).

The UI is unresponsive.

Is it just me, or do most people here just not have the ability to read what I say?

I say nothing about the keyboard, the wifi, the bluetooth. Those are all fine. But all of you here seem to think that I'm just doing a hatchet job on the device. The truth is, it is it's own hatchet job.

Don't expect me to take on your lower standards.

Originally Posted by harpgliss View Post
Hi,

Has anyone, including Omega, considered one thing?

Maybe the unit is defective and needs to be replaced?

I just base this on the symptoms and the fact that Omega looks to be in the minority as for having the issues listed in the first post.

I would call Nokia, if it is still under warranty, explain the issues and get it replaced.

Just a suggestion there, though.

As for the reactions of members here, when it looks like you are attacking their judgment in devices, they get a little or a lot defensive, just a fact of life.

Could the OP have been a little more diplomatic on how they worded the first post? sure but they were venting, letting the anger go.

This is after all, supposed to be a support forum, or so I thought.

Omega, sorry you are having issues with your IT and, apparently soured on the platform but maybe you will consider the newer IT when they are announced.

David
I've been more than dipilomatic. Take a look at the insults and jeering going on, that warrants a far worse reaction than my politeness so far.

Just because I make some hard-to-swallow assertions doesn't mean I'm rude. It means I can factually contradict people here who are content to eat mud.

It's not my job to adopt low standards, it's not rude to refuse to do so either.

Again, let me remind you of the insults I've endured so far in this thread. I think it's fairly telltale.

Hi,

Originally Posted by Omega View Post
I've been more than diplomatic.

I was only referring to your original post as for the possibility of being being more diplomatic.

If you had been a little less "intense" in your first post, some of the reactions and the overall escalation of the thread into one long volley of attacks may have been avoided.

This was my point of my post above, not a further attack on you or your point of view.

David

Originally Posted by harpgliss View Post
Hi,

I was only referring to your original post as for the possibility of being being more diplomatic.

If you had been a little less "intense" in your first post, some of the reactions and the overall escalation of the thread into one long volley of attacks may have been avoided.

This was my point of my post above, not a further attack on you or your point of view.

David
Hey, thanks. Meaning something well can sometimes come on strong, for sure.

I also forgot to mention that I have no problems with the overall DESIGN of the device, the SCREEN, the buttons (which some might!) and the KICKSTAND.
Those were pretty well placed. The touch-responsiveness was probably more due to be like an iPhone, but I don't care. I like using the pen.

Still doesn't change the severe and crippling issues as it blocks actual functionality and functional use of the device. Which is unacceptable, not for $400.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by Omega View Post
You move and your lock is lost.
This has not been my experience. In what environment or environments have you tried using the GPS?

Internet calling with built in web camera. Funny that the device doesn't even ship with installed software to do any of that.
"Any" implies multiple items, but you've only listed one: "Internet calling with built in web camera." Responding to that one item: the N810, like the N800 before it, ships with Internet Call installed, and that application does exactly what is stated on the box.

It doesn't even come with a snapshot program.
Correct. It's not "advertised" as doing so though, and there's one readily available in the Extras repository.

Updates and the repositories are a nightmare, barely working most of the time. I have to continually attempt updates.
Simply enabling the Extras repository should get you nearly everything available for the tablets. It's on a fast and reliable server, so it shouldn't give you trouble.

If you've set up additional repositories from Gronmayer or elsewhere, then that's the source of your trouble. The unreliability of, and conflicts between, those other repositories was the impetus for creating Extras.

If you have added only Extras, then it's not likely a server issue. Your Internet connection or your tablet itself may have issues that need to be resolved.

The UI is unresponsive.
That's subjective and a bit vague, so it's open to debate, as evidenced by much of this thread.

...do most people here just not have the ability to read what I say?
There may be some of that. On the other hand, it seems that when people do calmly post inquiries and suggestions in attempts to help you, you gloss over them in your rush to again point out less, shall we say, helpful responses.

Don't expect me to take on your lower standards.
That's fairly antagonistic.

Last edited by sjgadsby; 2009-03-30 at 14:31.

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
n810 is a ripoff, n900 is useless, nokia ripoff, not as advertised, paid too much, unresponsive