Posts: 607 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Finland
First i ran apt-cache show ubuntu-mobile

Then i installed ubuntu mobiles dependacies, they are:

Code:
alsa-base, alsa-utils, bluetooth, bluez-gnome, cheese, claws-mail, contacts-snapshot, dbus-x11, desktop-file-utils, fbreader, galculator, gnome-ppp, gnome-volume-manager, gstreamer0.10-alsa, gstreamer0.10-plugins-base, gstreamer0.10-plugins-good, gstreamer0.10-x, gtk2-engines-sapwood, hildon-control-panel, hildon-desktop, hildon-theme-mobile-basic, language-pack-en, liferea, marquee-plugins, matchbox-keyboard, matchbox-window-manager, midbrowser, mobile-basic-flash, moblin-applets, moblin-keyboard-manager, moblin-media, network-manager-gnome, ppp, seahorse, tasks-hildon, wvdial, xorg
Of course, i did not install packages like mobiln-media and wvdial, because they are missing some depends and they are useless anyway.

Then i installed mobile-application-service, i think that package should be one of ubuntu-mobile dependacies, because ubuntu mobile needs it.

Then i edit /usr/bin/start-hildon and changed the script to use mas, witch is not in /usr/bin/ it is in /usr/share/mobile-application-service/.

The hildon freezing, i told some posts ago, is some kind of a bug.
Hildon starts correctly only if useFlash is set to true in /usr/share/mobile-basic-flash/desktop_mgr.js

The Following User Says Thank You to meizirkki For This Useful Post:
BTW, even if the moblin interface does not work, it is fun to play with it.
Microb should work since it is matchbox?

Finally, i got optional desktop that is able to run microb!!

Posting this from microb in mobiln desktop!

I will surely upload more pics to picasaweb

all the buttons work too, zooming, fullscreening and menu-button opens menu.

The big problen was to kill maemos hildon and matchbox, since when i run that basic script to do that, it closes ubuntu mobiles hildon too. BIG thanks to penguinbait (once again ) with his iceWM port, i was able to run ubuntu mobile without Xephyr

Last edited by meizirkki; 2008-11-08 at 17:39.

Posts: 253 | Thanked: 104 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Midwest, USA
I'm still interested in getting this going too. I'd been working on getting it going on mine earlier this week, but eventually got to busy. Maybe I'll get another chance later this weekend. I'm still on call right now though..

Specifically, I've been looking for a way to get a rootfs of ubuntu mobile (ARM) set up on my Ubuntu desktop (intel). I tried to debootstrap and ran into mount point problems. I tried seting it up from within other ARM environments using QEMU, but it hasn't worked yet. I know this is possible, but I'm not that good at QEMU problems. Anyway, the reason I'm working on this is that if we can get a rootfs, we can use the Mamona Image Creator to create a flashable Ubuntu image...which could be a lot of fun to work with. It seems that the MIC from mamona currently is able to take some of the closed source drivers from Maemo and use them in the new OS.

Best of all, it would be running without any Maemo or deblet overhead.

Last edited by neatojones; 2008-11-08 at 18:16.

Maybe debootstrap and install moblin packages on tablet, Then transfer rootfs to pc and finish work there?

Wow! mamona image creator looks really intresting!

I believe that ubuntu mobile rootfs fits in 500 mb, but i would use it in my n810 internal sd... Because of installation space...

Posts: 253 | Thanked: 104 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Midwest, USA
Originally Posted by meizirkki View Post
Maybe debootstrap and install moblin packages on tablet, Then transfer rootfs to pc and finish work there?
That's what my next plan was. We'll have to see though. As far as the size of the install goes, I was going to try and find a way to reduce the size while still making it as useful/easy to use...though I realize may not be possible. Basically, remove some of the packages and then allow choose which ones to re-install later. It might also be possible to use both the internal flash and the flash rom by utilizing mount points. IE: using internal flash as a mount point for /var and /home... as they can get pretty big.

What about imagefile for /var and /home

Another imagefile joke: EasyMaemo!
maemo rootfs in imagefile, then chrooting great apps from maemo, like maemo mapper.

Last edited by meizirkki; 2008-11-08 at 19:07.

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
meizirkki & neatojones - you should come on #maemo on freenode and come help out with our proof of concept project, think it'll be interesting for you.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Thanks for the tip!

Tags
mer, ubuntu