Active Topics

On the topic of Intel's MIDs, I can't help but think they are aiming a bit too high in the specs front. Their target for minimum memory and processor speed is very, very high which will not have a good impact on price point. Isn't a benefit of the Internet that the hardware accessing it can be really simple?

Many props to Intel for trying, (and I hope they have success for the sake of Ubuntu Mobile) but I for one think they are aiming a bit too low, creating systems more like small laptops (with conveniently mass produced processors) as opposed to handheld / pocketable computers.

As for the N800, the fact that Nokia released an N810 and seems to be pushing out a successor along that same product line is the reason why I for one feel safe getting an N800. It has very similar (nearly identical) internals, and it seems they will be keeping that up along the N8** series for now. I, for one, doubt Nokia would release completely different hardware within such a short space from the release of a new N8something tablet.
The N800 series seems to be doing the trick, so hopefully the next one up will be quite a revelation (ginormous multitouch screen with seamless attachment, fully working 3D hardware and Clutter-powered interface, please!), instead of a mere evolution.

Last edited by Picklesworth; 2008-03-14 at 02:18.

Originally Posted by brontide View Post
Oh, they stack up... haven't you seen the pictures? Those MID's are huge and thick, great for stacking.
Well, I do not think that shrinking physical dimensions will be that much of a problem. The power consumption will be a real problem though. Ultimately, a Mercedes Benz can't compete in mileage with a bicycle, no matter how fast it goes.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by Picklesworth View Post
As for the N800, the fact that Nokia released an N810 and seems to be pushing out a successor along that same product line is the reason why I for one feel safe getting an N800. It has very similar (nearly identical) internals, and it seems they will be keeping that up along the N8** series for now. I, for one, doubt Nokia would release completely different hardware within such a short space from the release of a new N8something tablet.
The N800 series seems to be doing the trick, so hopefully the next one up will be quite a revelation (ginormous multitouch screen with seamless attachment, fully working 3D hardware and Clutter-powered interface, please!), instead of a mere evolution.
Either some forget, or still don't trust Nokia after the 770-to-N800 leap-- but the drive toward increased hardware abstraction is real. Each OS release just solidifies that.

Next you will see a maemo OS support 3 devices simultaneously. Let that sink in.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
oh crap...

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Same here, I agree that the N800 will still be supported. Remember, you could even flash the N810 image with a little hacking

Nokia may discontinue (already been done?) the N800 to persuade people to buy the N810 instead but the N800 and N810 are too similar to make firmware updates N810 only.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by tso View Post
oh crap...
Crap???

We're talkin' PLATFORM here, babee!!!

Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
the N800 and N810 are too similar to make firmware updates N810 only.
Not to mention the upcoming N8mmmmppphhh--

Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
Nokia may discontinue (already been done?) the N800 to persuade people to buy the N810 instead but the N800 and N810 are too similar to make firmware updates N810 only.
Nah, N800s are still being sold everywhere, just not as much in stores. Making firware updates N810-only would be dumb, as the two devices are nearly the same :/.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Crap???

We're talkin' PLATFORM here, babee!!!

Not to mention the upcoming N8mmmmppphhh--
so, cheese or rat poison...

Posts: 305 | Thanked: 154 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ Colorado
The main thing that I hope Nokia adds support for SOON is printing. For many features it works for Nokia to say 'that can be downloaded as an open source addition" but not for printing. Why? Because even though it is easy to install printing (cups) support on the NIT, none of the apps support it in their file menu. Nokia needs to rapidly add printing support before there are too many third party apps that don't support it in their file menu.

Any comments Rat?

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by BruceL View Post
Any comments Rat?
Bleh, printing is kinda pointless in these devices, and the size requirements for something like CUPS (or even somethin smaller) are a little excessive for the amount of storage and RAM we have available. Besides, who the hell uses paper documents anymore? I haven't printed anything for at least 6 months.

Really, of you need to print, sending it to a networked machine is damn easy.