Notices

Posts: 25 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Minnesota
Ive tested the stylus pop up keyboard on Diablo and it still doesn't work. But it works really well with a bluetooth keyboard.

Though with Gnumeric (Exel Like Program) and Abiword (Word Processor) all we need next is some kind of Presenter program (Like Power Point) and there will be a fully funtional office. Then the Next thing to do would be to add a front end so you only have to launch one app and get the choise of what to do. just an Idea.

Thanks
I can finaly use the Nokia N800 for what I bought it for!!

Last edited by T-unit; 2008-07-25 at 02:23.

Hello??????

I answered your question in the post before you asked it.
AbiWord on Maemo beta now available - contact me to help fix bugs!

oh opps sorry about that. I forgot about the prevous post.

Hi everyone! I'm very new to this, but am hoping to get AbiWord on to my newly flashed N810. I'm having some difficulty, however, as I can't seem to have the extras-devel repository installed. I am recieveing the error:

"Unable to install. Incompatible application package."

When I open the Application Catalog tools, I see the following :

Nokia catalog
Nokia Catalog (3rd party software)
Nokia System Software Updates
maemo Extras
Chinook Extras
maemo Extras

those all look active. Then there is

maemo - failed to refresh

Is there anything I can do to fix this and install AbiWord?

Thanks!

I have attempted to keep up with this thread and it's predecessor... so if this has already been addressed, I apologize.

Is the only way to save a document in a format other than .abw, to open it in some other format to begin with?

I have quite a few documents in .rtf format. I chose this format for it's portability. With AbiWord finally available (even in beta form) on the N800, I am finally able to perform one of the main functions that I wanted to be able to do on a compact device... In a sense I have been disappointed for some time as I was able to create and edit documents and spreadsheets on my old NEC Mobilpro for several years. To me the N800 was an effort to add a more robust OS as well as the resultant pool of applications. But `til now, the basic functionality has not been available. I am an application developer but I have little-to-no ability to develop Linux apps; or I'd be glad to help.
If there is some protocol by which I can create new documents in .rtf format, or some equally portable, natively supported format available in AbiWord, I'd be pretty thoroughly satisfied based on my previous tests of the application.
Thanks all for the incredible effort to date.
Geoffrey

@middleda
You don't need both Maemo Extras entries, so turn one into the Maemo Extras-Devel repository needed for AbiWord (change extras to extras-devel in the URL and change the name). Then, try installing. I hear that it doesn't work on Diablo yet due to a missing package, I'll get that done soon.

@gshubert
That is correct, that's the only way. You should just be able to enter the new extension (enter the name as whatever.rtf or whatever), and that works on the desktop. I think I know where it's going wrong (we need to set the file format to "automatically detected" rather than "abw" to let it figure it out on Maemo) but haven't had a chance to look into it further.

The Following User Says Thank You to megabyte405 For This Useful Post:
I think I have a simple protocol for creating new .rtf documents but haven't had a chance to test it yet. I have an empty 'template' .rtf. When I need to add a new document I will copy and rename this 'template'; then type in the new .rtf... Not too inconvenient.

Thanks for all of the work and help.

Geoffrey

Yeah, that will work - I have a feeling I posted that workaround already, but it might have been in the other thread.

I'm a newbie to Abiword, so I do not know whether I'm about to mention a known issue or not. I just loaded Abiword 2.6.4 on my N800. I cannot make Abiword store in RTF format, and I believe that when I open an rtf file (written by the openOffice writer 2.3), I get a blank screen with no text.

I expected Abiword to support RTF, based on comments I saw on the web. What's the status, for the N800?

Thanks.
BY THE WAY: it took me just about forever to figure out how to get the onscreen keyboard loaded, by pressing the square button amid the cursor keys. How many newbies will you lose over this issue? There's lots of room onscreen to display a message to tell me how to get the keyboard.
- toby robison, author of the novel http://ravensGift.com

The Following User Says Thank You to tobyr21 For This Useful Post:

Tags
abiword, office