Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Some screenshots of the Mer 0.11 desktop running from a chroot (replacing Maemo desktop, but without rebooting):

Running Maemo Tear browser, and using daperl's battery status applet:

Rotated to portrait mode (doesn't display the Mer marquee bar correctly, so you can't get back to landscape)

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I'm continuing my push to get a working replacement Mer desktop in a Maemo chroot (in the same way I got the replacement LXDE desktop working). To this end, I stole wholesale modded daperl's donated code (see this thread) to give me a battery status applet and a wlan status applet. I got the wlan stuff working by copying and pasting giant portions of using the python-conic tests.

Some notes:
  • Yes, I switched the marquee around. Putting the system tray/status bar before the application list makes more sense.
  • Audio works by leaving multimediad enabled.
  • The nm-applet is useless in the chroot.
  • The theme doesn't properly load the first time; the marquee is "flat". I have to open Themes and choose Liberty for the marquee to become 3D.
  • I had to unbind the /home/user directory because the Maemo .osso/hildon-desktop directory was wreaking havok on the Mer desktop.
  • None of the built-in maemo apps work from the maemo command line, unlike LXDE. So I can't invoke chat, Internet call, or MicroB browser using the "maemo menu".
  • The wlan applet can request a connection, however, and that will trigger the Select Connection dialog. So maybe I have to invoke all of these apps via dbus? Ugh. I have no idea how to do this.

Screenshots:

Tear again, with my new applets above. The red X beside the white dot means the Internet is not connected (I took some of these screenshots while in the car, being driven through the mountains).

mYTube open. It works fine, including audio. In this screenshot, audio is muted to keep from annoying my wife, who was driving, and from waking up my daughter, who was sleeping. But it does work. Promise.

When you are disconnected from the Internet, clicking on the wlan applet icon displays this dialogue.

When you press the connect button, the wlan will either connect automatically, or, if you were in Flight Mode (like I was) or there are no saved APs nearby, you'll get the familiar Select Connection list.

Finally, I am connected. The "signal strength" obtained from connection statistics is a giant, meaningless number. I got 100% by holding my tablet beside my inlaws' AP, but when I'm at home, the signal strength seems to be a somewhat different number. Whatever. It is close enough. Note that my applet icon displays the correct number of "bars" for the signal strength (in this case, 4/5).

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Here are the current files for the batt-stat and wlan-stat applets. The batt-stat applet needs the battery-status package. The wlan-stat applet needs the python-conic package. They will work in any system tray that is at least 40 pixels high. You need to click on the icons and choose the "Quit" button before returning to Maemo or messing around with your theme in Mer, otherwise weird things happen. They are meant to be run in Maemo, to display in the chroot desktop.
Attached Files
File Type: tar batt-stat.tar (30.0 KB, 116 views)
File Type: tar wlan-stat.tar (30.0 KB, 117 views)

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Looks nice

Do you do this from standard mer chroot setup? (eg, the one descriped in http://wiki.maemo.org/Mer/Documentat...n_.28chroot.29) or are you running this from your earlier easy-ubuntu/mer image?

The Following User Says Thank You to Grimmer For This Useful Post:
Grimmer: I am using Easy Debian, a Mer 0.11 rootfs in a partition, and modified scripts from my Easy Debian LXDE As Replacement Desktop project.

My chroot is more complex than the simple chroot that is set up as part of the Mer install process.

I'll post more details about what I did to get this to work when I'm happier with the results.

I'll probably make some installable .deb files so everyone can do it. That's usually what I do

Last edited by qole; 2009-04-15 at 17:56.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Making some progress:

The status bar icon menu with the Maemo apps you can run (with Ubuntu PCManFM running in the background):

The little info balloon that shows when you select an application from the status bar menu (do you like the wallpaper? ):

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Just a note, my hosted files are going away on the evening of Tuesday, April 28th, due to the shutdown of my host, maemobox.org.

Get them now, or not at all!

qole: i spent 20 min trying to figure out how to PM you here, and finally gave up and sent a message to your flickr account.

You click on my name, and choose "send a private message to qole".

:/
when using the PM link, it shows this:
ltch, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Tags
chroot, easy debian, mer, testing, ubuntu