Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 642 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ California USA
Originally Posted by qole View Post
The tablets just don't have the horsepower for decent recording. I expect the new device will have sufficient specs to do some good recording.
Two years ago when I got my N800, the Maemo Recorder picked up voices across the room. After OS updates, it somehow became less sensitive so I stopped using it.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
The tablets can be used for recording voices, yes, but the quality just isn't there for music recording. Maybe with sufficient storage (a couple 32GB SD cards in an N800?), we could record decent quality uncompressed audio, but the tablets just don't have enough oompf to manipulate the audio in any way, like multi-tracking or whatever.

So I guess you could use the tablet like a microphone and record music, but you'd have to transfer it to a desktop computer to do anything with the audio.

Posts: 139 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Winnipeg, Canada
Actually, capacity isn't the issue (as I'm sure you know). Stereo audio takes about 10MB/min when recorded at uncompressed, CD rates (16bit/44.1kHz). A pair of 32GB cards would give you about 100 hours of uncompressed recording time. Switching to 24/96 would cut that to a mere 35 hours or so (not that the device could resolve anything significantly better at those rates).

Then, of course, you'd need a bigger battery...

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Yeah, latency is the biggest issue. Heck my dual Opteron workstation chokes on some of the audio I feed it-- tablets have a way to go before they can make respectable audio processors... but I can see it happening.

I'm hoping (and almost expecting) that Rover will be just fine with 16/44.1 stereo recording. The power shouldn't be an issue (I used to do this on a Mac IIx back in the day), so assuming it's possible to get quality audio in (specs say 16bit/48kHz) and that PulseAudio works as advertised, this might be the device that finally does the trick.

And about time, too... porting Audacity to the 770 was the reason I joined this rag-tag bunch, back in 2005. The good news is that there are now competent programmers here (unlike me!) who can likely make it happen. Exciting times!

Yeah, but I won't go below 24/44.1 and prefer no less than 24/88.2. Maybe another tablet generation or 3...

Audacity on a tablet though... ooo!

Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
I won't go below 24/44.1 and prefer no less than 24/88.2
You have very sensitive ears.

Tim

Who knows, it may be possible to use a class-compliant USB interface for the audio. Then 24/96 is no problem at all. You know, if you want to record music for bats, or whatever...

Seriously, I do all my projects in 24 bit (24/44.1), but very, very few mics/preamps/speakers work beyond 20kHz, so why waste the bandwidth? Unless you're doing special effects, in which case every bit helps (literally!).

On a different note, it's been reported that Les Paul passed away today at the age of 94.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/8200385.stm

For those unfamiliar with his work, Les Paul is credited with inventing the (solid-body) electric guitar, as well as the multi-track recorder.

2 words: Nyquist Theorem.

5 more: Rest in peace, Les Paul.

Tags
maemo musicians, music, musician, recordings