Active Topics

Notices

Originally Posted by amorek13 View Post
Sasler is it possible for a widget on a desktop that displays currencey maybe 3 different ones and updates automatickly?
I yet don't know how to make a widget using Qt 4.5. Well, I haven't even tried it, to tell the truth. But if someone would point me to a sample/doc about it, I might consider to do something like this in the future.

Originally Posted by klinglerware View Post
Also, you should consider adding some very basic conversions for situations a traveler may encounter: for example, basic imperial to metric measurement, clothing/shoe size, and temperature. I do realize that other applications exist for measurement conversion, but it would be nice to have the basic conversions a traveler would need all in a single application--if simplicity can be maintained. Again, the beauty of your application is its simplicity--if additional conversion capability introduces too much bloat, then it may not be worth it.
I'm already considering something like that. I'm just trying to figure out how to do it while maintaining the UI simple. One possibility is to have a setting page, not unlike the one for currencies, where one would choose the most used unit conversions. In the main window there would be two Conversion buttons (in addition to the existing currency buttons, of course) and an Unit button. By pressing the Unit button, it would change the Units in the Conversion buttons according to selected preferred conversion units.

Well, this is a working progress. But I'm planning to do something...

The Following User Says Thank You to Sasler For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by epage View Post
This looks great. I don't think I'll bother implementing currency conversions for Gonvert after seeing this.
Wow, you app has really a lot of units. Well done!

Where did you find the conversion values for all those units? Is there a good web page for it?

Originally Posted by Sasler View Post
I did some searching and found Time Genie as possible additional source for exchange rates. They also use Euro as the base currency, which would make my work easier. These are the currencies they have. They are missing some crucial European currencies, but by combining this with ECB should provide a rather good coverage. I will start working on this as soon as I can.
Yeah they have VND vietnam Dong ^^

The Following User Says Thank You to soleil For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by soleil View Post
Yeah they have VND vietnam Dong ^^
Yes, I did actually look for it, just see if they had it, because I had this strange feeling that someone had requested it...

BTW, just for curiosity, are you from there?

I'm happing to announce that a new version (0.6-1) is now available in Extras-testing. It now includes more than 70 currencies. Please vote for it here.

Thanks

Here is a list of all currencies present. The exchange rates for these will be retrieved from the internet, either form ECB or Time Genie.
Attached Files
File Type: txt currencies.txt (1.7 KB, 86 views)

Posts: 344 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Los Angeles
Really great app. Thanks!

For tax and tip, I was wondering if you could make the text any smaller ... just kidding. It is really hard to read. Could you make it bigger, or better, have a user option to display it to the left or right of the amount in brackets? Something like this perhaps:

[tip:$15.00] $115.00

or $109.75.00 [tax:$9.75]

Other requests:

1. Portrait mode
2. At least one more currency conversion bar on main screen. (Maybe make additional currency bars available in portrait mode main screen only?)
3. "Settings" bar does need to be on the main screen, normally stowed in the menu (as is update). this would free up room on the ladscape main screen.

Voted.

The Following User Says Thank You to sorodoros For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sorodoros View Post
Really great app. Thanks!

For tax and tip, I was wondering if you could make the text any smaller ... just kidding. It is really hard to read. Could you make it bigger, or better, have a user option to display it to the left or right of the amount in brackets? Something like this perhaps:

[tip:$15.00] $115.00

or $109.75.00 [tax:$9.75]
Thanks

This might be a bit tricky, given the limited space. But I'll see if I can do something.

Originally Posted by sorodoros View Post
Other requests:

1. Portrait mode
2. At least one more currency conversion bar on main screen. (Maybe make additional currency bars available in portrait mode main screen only?)
3. "Settings" bar does need to be on the main screen, normally stowed in the menu (as is update). this would free up room on the ladscape main screen.
  1. I might attempt (emphasis on the word "might") this when Qt 4.6 is out of Beta (in PR1.2 most probably), but not before that.
  2. I'm working on something that addresses this. What I have in mind, is to have preselected preferred currencies and then a currency cycle button in the main window.
  3. Yes, I'm plaining to move them in the next release.

I just uploaded the version 0.8-3 to Extras-devel. It now has basic unit conversion too!

I did some major additions/changes to the code. So before I put it to Extras-testing, I would like to get some feedback. It's fully optified and there shouldn't be any major issues. I just need to know how the UI logic (or illogic ) works. So if you are willing to help, please install it and provide some feedback to this thread.

Thanks

PS. I haven't done anything to the Help files, so there is no info how to use the new things. Then again, this is a good test to see how well the UI works, because if it's good enough, in theory, it won't need any Help. However, since it most probably won't be that good, any help with the Help files would be appreciated.