Notices

Posts: 579 | Thanked: 471 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Austria
I have now also succeeded in installing xmaxima, an open-source alternative to Mathematica and Maple, under Easy Debian. That part actually is completely trivial: just "apt-get install xmaxima".

Then it took me a while to find out why I couldn't have my input evaluated. Pressing the return key just did nothing. Finally I found out that under LXDE the return key had the value KP_Enter instead of Return, which for the other applications didn't seem to make a difference. Fixing that with
Code:
xmodmap -e "keycode  36 = Return"
solved the problem. I then used xmodmap also to have square brackets and other special characters on the hardware keyboard, and then everything worked.

I certainly prefer doing symbolic math on a laptop computer since it's quite tedious to type complicated expressions on this tiny keyboard. But the program itself runs very smoothly - one can even rotate those 3D plots with the cursor (=stylo)!
Attached Images

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rebhana For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
gwj: I have mapped Ctrl + . (period) in LXDE to trigger window move. You can then move too-big windows around. Works fine for me.

Sorry for not seeing this thread earlier.

EDIT: I love seeing others getting excited by this. Honestly, the N900 is the first Maemo device powerful enough to run these desktop apps. I almost use my N900 exclusively as my main computer these days...

Last edited by qole; 2010-01-25 at 00:22.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Is it possible to make the keys working in the same way, as in maemo (double press of shift or alt locks the keys)?

Hey guys
I just installe Easy Debian but the IMG file that was downloaded on my N900 is only 290mb or so? Is it normal? It isn't 1.5gb at all...
I used the IMG file from maemo extras, not devel, but the IMG file should be the same, right?
Thanks for your help

Last edited by gtessier00; 2010-03-24 at 14:57.

Pleasee... Someone must know? If 300mb or so is normal, or what happened? Do I have a good version?

Thank you...!

Normal.
Just continue with the setup.

The Following User Says Thank You to dack001 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 579 | Thanked: 471 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Austria
Originally Posted by gtessier00 View Post
Pleasee... Someone must know?
For the benefit of those having stumbled upon Easy Debian through this thread, more complete information is available on this active thread and this wiki page.

The Following User Says Thank You to rebhana For This Useful Post: