Yeah i agree, i'd like to understand this too, prehaps its caching for apps like ie? On the winmo devices we had programs like oxi close and hybernate to clear ram etc, this worked pretty well, i just dont know what we can do about the virtual memory filling up.

My phone is unfortunately back to being unresponsive. Its even been rebooted since I first posted since it ran out of power once and shutdown.

I now have 10 windows open and the phone has slowed down and I just missed a skype call. The browserd went from 20% of mem to over 35%. Anyone seeing similar usage? Again I'm not hitting up flash or other heavy sites.

I'm still running the load applet -- maybe I should disable it?

I also noticed hildon-desktop jumping up to 10%+ when I switch between desktops though it doesn't go higher than that.

sorry one more comment. It seems that browserd stays at ~20%+ even after I switch to the terminal and all the swapping should be over. None of the page I have loaded have dynamic content like flash or adds so no idea why browserd is still eating up cycles. At least this is the first concrete issue I've been able to detect by checking top.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by slender View Post
Not exactly surprise but after reboot my N900 is bit faster. Lets see after couple of days what kind of stones it founds to carry :P
Yesterday my N900 actually did slow down noticeably. It was very sluggish after I woke it up in the morning (kind of like its owner). After a bit it returned to normal performance. I'm assuming there's something to it being on for a long time (in my case not shut off for over a week) and going to sleep for lengthy spans during that period.

Originally Posted by masq View Post
My phone is unfortunately back to being unresponsive. Its even been rebooted since I first posted since it ran out of power once and shutdown.

I now have 10 windows open and the phone has slowed down and I just missed a skype call. The browserd went from 20% of mem to over 35%. Anyone seeing similar usage? Again I'm not hitting up flash or other heavy sites.

I'm still running the load applet -- maybe I should disable it?
Which browser are you using?

I'm using the default browser (microB??). the phone is pretty damn sluggish now & I've closed most of the windows. Tomorrow i'll try closing everything & see if that works or if it needs a reboot.

U can type in TOP in Xterminal to see which program used up the system resource which cause the slow down.

Hey guys, sorry im late, i've fallen fairly ill and am completely miserable with the flu...

Status Report!

Day 5 : The device finally decided to stop taking it reduced program opening times (another second at best) and a weak ability to multi task, along with that i had one of the most important apps die on me, Media Player will no longer willing to function.

Although the device was rather snappy, swap memory was constant over 200mb and ram was always hitting 70% (Unknown reasons, again we need an app similar to windows mobiles oxios close app/hybernate.)

Specific apps however still revealed the device could still handle pressure, youtube, flawless playback, screen orientation changing without audio stuttering, text recieving without delays or problems with media player muting and playing text messages.

New problem occured, seems my device is intent on locking phone pad in portrait mode, quite strange, but i do enjoy using the N900 with one hand.

(Did i mention i dropped the n900? it sucks :/, minor skuffs, my useless leather case didn't protect it as well as i thought it would, i want to order a new metal rim.)

This is the 7th day officially but, 5 days then i restarted to restore audio function, another day, device acted the same as the first day (Heavy multitasking, no problem, flawless to the bone.) I then powered off to give the hardware a break for a night (So a nice clean 10 hours rest.)

So basically 5 days uptime, then restart and another day uptime and now i'm back to 10 hours and 33 minutes, the N900 lasted fluently for 4 days, before swap memory and ram hitting a point where the device just thought, get lost..haha.

Today, CPU usage 2.3 to 2.9% constant! (Wow) definately settled down!

Will probably be powering the device down daily to keep it running at full speed, and i shall be seing what a defrag and optimise does to the device now.

Last edited by Catacylsm; 2010-02-07 at 21:21.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Catacylsm For This Useful Post:
Posts: 253 | Thanked: 184 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Bristol, UK
Originally Posted by lynxus View Post
I did have a problem recently where if i unlocked the N900 and then clicked ANY app on the main screens, It would take about 5 seconds for anything to happen.

A restart fixed this.
I'm getting this quite a lot at the moment too. The haptic feedback is instant but there's a big pause before anything else happens. By the time xterm/conky actually launches (~5 sec), the delay has gone.

The delay applied to task switcher windows and desktop icons alike. If I remember right though, swiping between desktops was still okay.

A reboot fixes it for maybe a day or so before it becomes noticeable again.

Tags
you're a mess