Active Topics

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
(reading, learning and do-ing - having a PC available with Linux or a LiveCD is handy too!)
Just chiming in, me being the crack-pot developer an'all : You don't even need a live CD. A copy of Vmware Player and the default Ubuntu image will do nicely. No need even to shut down the pc.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by einstein View Post
@Penguinbait:

1st, we don't have a return policy here. 2nd, I purchased the device as an quick-online-web-checking kind of a thing were a laptop would be to much trouble. I've read quite a few reviews before deciding to buy one. That's the reason I didn't buy an N770 in the first place! And thats's why I said I was dissappointed. It's not the 'quick-online bla bla' thing I thought it would be.
I am a bit of a gadget freak, I have a lot of them lying around. Most of them work as designed/marketed, but the N800 clearly does not. My girlfriend for instance cannot use the device like it's suppose to:

"It says: Internet Browser closed unexpectedly, did I do something wrong"? No dear, you have to start it up again, and try again. Eventually it'll work. I think...

"It says: Weather updating. But I can't start anything."
Oh, just power cycle it, that's normal...

etc etc

Sorry, but that's not a market ready device. She won't even touch it now and starts up the laptop instead.

Tweaking/hacking the device won't cure problems like that.
As for the device being Linux: the problem here is stability. That has nothing to do with the OS at all. I hate Windows Mobile, and yet, it always does what I expect it to do. It doesn't crash/hang/freeze/reboot/bad touch screen on me. Ever. Like my (antique) Palm, my gameboy, my celular phone, my calculator and a lot more portable devices. They are flawed, but work as aspected.

This thing isn't stable. Not even close. Period. Don't start discussing wether or not I should've bought it in the first place, that's not the point here.

I agree: new users should test this device. A good device sells itself. A bad device doesn't.
I understand and agree with much of the frustration here. However, many of the counterpoints have validity too. Your statement that the N800 is "never" stable is just flat wrong. It is far too subjective a remark to be cast out that broadly.

Nokia is feeling out this market, and has certainly made some unfortunate missteps. However, there is also a significant good faith effort being out into rectifying shortcomings. There will be more going forward. There will be more hits, and more misses.

Anyone who has ever been an early adopter understands these things. You made a choice to be an early adopter, and that requires research on your part rather than leaping into a purchase you may not be ready for. I'm not trying to be harsh, just stating objective reality. I can sympathize with you on specific issues, such as what app was broken by what OS update, but I cannot sympathize with your broad rant. If the device doesn't seem ready for you, then you were not ready for the device. That's how it goes in the early stages.

If the next iteration garners the same reaction, then I will concede you have a point-- but I believe Nokia is learning from this experience.

I strongly suggest to the general public that everyone perform due diligence before making this sort of investment. There are certainly enough formal reviews, and definitely enough info here in this forum to aid potential purchasers in making an informed decision. Google is your friend. Take advantage of it.

Posts: 18 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Mar 2007 @ A moon of planet Nokia
The point was and is: the device is flawed and some of us think that that's not something you might expect from a €400,- device.
And that's something you agree to or not. But why people start discussions in this thread about 50Mb's ISO's I can't understand.

Posts: 18 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Mar 2007 @ A moon of planet Nokia
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
I understand and agree with much of the frustration here. However, many of the counterpoints have validity too. Your statement that the N800 is "never" stable is just flat wrong. It is far too subjective a remark to be cast out that broadly.
Agreed. Well, the device is marketed as an Internet Tablet. So it's 'core business' is Internet browsing. Let me rectify my broad remark a bit then:

The Internet browsing on the N800 can't be called stable.

Would be buyers should try one before they make the purchase. Like I said, a good device sells itself. That's not a rant but quite reasonable I think.

Posts: 355 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Helsinki, Finland
The point was and is: the device is flawed and some of us think that that's not something you might expect from a €400,- device.
My point exactly. How many of you developers out there paid the full retail price for the N800? I would guess not many, however those that do expect a bit more. Since I have had my new N800 (my second), and after upgrading. It has rebooted itself once while watching a video. Now I am wondering, was it the video that caused this, was it the upgraded software, was it the moon streaking across the sky, or sea tides. No idea. The thing is, for the money, more is expected.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
And that's something you agree to or not. But why people start discussions in this thread about 50Mb's ISO's I can't understand.
As Texrat said - it's an early adopter device, something you would have discovered had you investigated prior to purchase. The fact you are not willing to accept it as such suggests you are not an ideal candidate for an early adopter device - your mistake. The device is not perfect, but not entirely flawed either - but then if you were expecting a perfect device you'll be lucky to find that from any manufacturer.

As for the 50MB ISOs... sigh.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post
My point exactly. How many of you developers out there paid the full retail price for the N800? I would guess not many, however those that do expect a bit more. Since I have had my new N800 (my second), and after upgrading. It has rebooted itself once while watching a video. Now I am wondering, was it the video that caused this, was it the upgraded software, was it the moon streaking across the sky, or sea tides. No idea. The thing is, for the money, more is expected.
That "developer" chip you have on your shoulder must be causing you considerable mobility problems.

Agreed. Well, the device is marketed as an Internet Tablet. So it's 'core business' is Internet browsing. Let me rectify my broad remark a bit then:

The Internet browsing on the N800 can't be called stable.

Would be buyers should try one before they make the purchase. Like I said, a good device sells itself. That's not a rant but quite reasonable I think.
As I pointed out to Karel a while back (and received his wrath for it ) that's still at least somewhat subjective. I've had some other functionality and stability issues but my internet experience has been almost flawless IF the novel stuff is ruled out (java, Flash 9, etc). Yes, I realize those are mainstream tools but I shouldn't need to deal with them for the bulk of my internet use, and don't. I can live without Youtube on my tablet. Easily. In fact, there's only one website that currently frustrates me and that's www.wellsfargo.com, since it depends on java. So until that changes I'll do my banking on my desktop PC and use the tablet for everything else-- including ebay, cnn, my investment broker, the occasional food recipe, google, instant messaging and of course this forum.

That "developer" chip you have on your shoulder must be causing you considerable mobility problems.
ROFL!

Mil, that was one of the wittiest snaps I've seen on this forum.

Posts: 355 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Helsinki, Finland

I get around quite fine. In fact I work with developers everyday and I don't have to change their diapers at all. Hmmmm......maybe they are more mature........Anyway, as my question went unanswered, it is possible to assume that I am correct in my statement. Game, set, match.

Second, before I bought the Holy Grail of Tablets, I did do research. Read reviews, talked to people that have it. The reviewers maybe didn't play with it long enough to have to send theirs back. Something to make note of next time, "how long did you have it".

Anyway, this is going round and round. You have your opinion, and I have mine. Who cares? The only way to be proven right will be determined by the units shipped an the revenue generated.