Active Topics

Posts: 10 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Austin, TX
I think Nokia needs to stop playing the chasing game. Instead, create a new, cool, high end phone/gadget that "wow" end users. Hire someone with great imagination from Hollywood to throw some cool idea of futuristic handheld devices (thinking the portable panel used in research center in Avatar that transfers information wirelessly from the workstation and take control from the panel ) to the product design team.
Human being likes attractive/beautiful stuff by nature. But how many of Nokia phones in the market nowaday have good appearance ? There may be more sales of N900 if it is half as thick and have a larger yet ideal screen size.
Stop chasing, Nokia. And start creating.

The Following User Says Thank You to gnoel.nivlac For This Useful Post:
Posts: 152 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Shanghai, China
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
Re: Trolling

It takes two to tango.

If your opponent throws you a mean serve, don't return it if you don't plan on playing tennis.

If you don't want to see a particular topic gets debated upon and gets some limelight, don't frickin answer it.
Hey, buddy,

at least, we can learn something from the discussion.

By reading other guy's thoughts, we can broad our view, right ?

Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
I sure hope Nokia does not want MeeGo to compete in the Smart Phone market.
A Smart Phone isn't that the name for the typical year 200X mutation of mobile phones into internet computers running on way too low end hardware to compete with desktops, hence needing thin clients and specially written light apps?
Devices, first feature packed "smarter" phones, in a later stage especially designed for and happily used by advertisement centered companies to lure users into the use of data mining "free and low cost software" linking ip , gps, account info, mobile network data info into gigantic databases of user profiles?

What today is high end about such a Smart Phone? It is just as mainstream as a keyhanger and imo some of those Smart Phones should be freely distributed as the user already pays by using the integrated services.

If MeeGo is going to be anyhing like Maemo today or better I will most probably be making phone calls only from my computer that fits in my pocket.
Chances are MeeGo will be a first choice OS for those computers.

If only some nano wire or tube battery tech would make a breakthrough.

Posts: 10 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Austin, TX
Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post
If MeeGo is going to be anyhing like Maemo today or better I will most probably be making phone calls only from my computer that fits in my pocket.
Chances are MeeGo will be a first choice OS for those computers.
Yes, a powerful OS packaged in a PRETTY enclosure is what I need.

Posts: 293 | Thanked: 372 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Westside
Originally Posted by lanwellon View Post
Hey, buddy,

at least, we can learn something from the discussion.

By reading other guy's thoughts, we can broad our view, right ?
based on this and your previous posts, it seems like there's not much "broadening our view" going on.

"The Cake Is A Lie"

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to frostbyte For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
I think the biggest competitor to MeeGo is:

WP7 and WebOS, and also ChromeOS, UNR, Jolibook.

I think the market is big enough (developers/apps/sales wise) for 3 major smartphone divisions. This is no doubt dominated by Android and iOS.
So who becomes the third wheel is as important as ever, and WP7 is showing a headstart. Ofcourse the other OS's can survive as minor alternatives like Symbian/RIM (internationally wise).

But MeeGo is also having difficulty/competition on the other end (tablets/netbooks) and things there are more cloudy (hard to guestimate).
Very agreed with your point.

And I think iOS/Android/WP7 will be the ' BIG 3 ' on the market.

Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
I'm guessing if MeeGo was as ambitious as WP7:
(eg/ they finish (v1.2), released with at least 5 different smartphone choices, at the time WP7 was released, paid developer of popular iOS/Android apps to port in Qt.)
I'd say MeeGo would be in a bigger headstart than WP7, and that if they were effective in their execution of the entire platform, they would definitely become the third most popular.

Right now they will have a hard time to become the fifth, let alone third.
If they were as ambitious (as stated above) but released when Android 2.1 was released (Jan 2010) I'd say they could've potentially been the second most popular (and yes I know MeeGo was only announced Feb, but just saying).
Unfortunately and obviously, Nokia is still focus on Symbian now.

not putting all its efforts on MeeGo.

Qt is a good tool for porting Apps between platforms,

But it is not that easy, Qt can not solve every problem.

Nokia just waste 6 month and many resource to create another rpm package manage OS.

But not focus on more apps, ovi store, and more mobile internet stuff, like voice search, better ovi maps.

And made it far behind Android / iOS now.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lanwellon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 293 | Thanked: 372 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Westside
Originally Posted by lanwellon View Post
Unfortunately and obviously, Nokia is still focus on Symbian now.
Uh yes, Symbian for Nokia is what people in business call a "cash cow". In other words, Symbian pays Nokia's bills, no reason to abandon it.

"The Cake Is A Lie"

The Following User Says Thank You to frostbyte For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,427 | Thanked: 2,077 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Sydney
iOS is the least "smart" compared to Symbian, MeeGo, Maemo, Android and Windows Mobile 6.x. (not so sure about 7 yet)

It doesn't have desktop widgets which is soooooooo useful, non replaceable keyboard (such as Swype), no smart dialling, crippled multi-tasking, lack of integration in many areas (bluetooth file transfer) etc. (well, if you jailbreak it, it's a bit more useful with ssh, sbsettings etc)

Why do I have to resort to an OS with such lack of features? Yes, it's great for my wife, child and parents due to lack of features which makes it simpler to use. But I don't get how people can say that it's a better OS compared to other smart mobile OS platforms.

Lots of apps does not make it a better OS.

Last edited by jakiman; 2010-12-14 at 06:26.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jakiman For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by jakiman View Post
Lots of apps does not make it a better OS.
But it does make it a more viable platform. The whole concept of "better OS" should never be a good measurement of how viable an OS truly is.

Case in point... Microsoft Windows. Full of bugs, full of horrific legacy support, it suffers from code bloat, has tons of exploits (more found per day), suffers from a record amount of viruses... yet it's the market leader. As a Windows user (sometimes), a former MCSE (I refuse to update) and a former Windows admin (thank goodness those clients are mostly gone)... I see very little merit to Windows.

Yet... it has the most applications and is a perennial best seller.

A better OS is Linux. 1% or so of the desktop usage is Linux. Just 1% or so.

Better does not mean more viable. More apps do.

Originally Posted by frostbyte View Post
Uh yes, Symbian for Nokia is what people in business call a "cash cow". In other words, Symbian pays Nokia's bills, no reason to abandon it.
Yes. Thats it. Exactly.

As Marko said on LeWeb, Symbian is accessible now, but MeeGo is not.

Also, Symbian takes most smartphone market share in Africa/Asia/Latin America.

No reason to give up now.

But Symbian cannot take over the high-end market.

When Android phone get cheaper, Symbian will lose the market.

Tags
ignore list, naysaying, religious wars, shutupshutup, tag along, troll master