Active Topics

Originally Posted by xenkof View Post
I try to use it with my providers search site which uses this string:
http://212.31.123.206/iyp/iyp?iyp_aot=&iyp_ao=iyp.ax_searchwp_search1&iyp.f= wp_normal_search&iyp.d=WP&iyp.l=el_CY&iyp.v=1.1&te lfaxno=</query>
but I get a parsing error ";" expected.
This is XML. Like other SGML-based markup languages, certain character entities must be substituted. Among other things, that means < must be replaced with &lt;, > must be replaced with &gt;, and & must be replaced with &amp;

Also consider checking how much of that query string you actually need. You may be able to shorten it if you cut some parameters the server has defaults for.

Originally Posted by jdr93 View Post
this is a fun application, and i'd like to get it fully working on my machine

so far this is what i get:

~ $ callerid +1802xxxxxxx
I/O Warning : Failed to load external entity "/opt/callerid/s_ca.xml"
13:36:20: Caller location Montpelier, VT

using the program via the daemon outputs only montpelier, vt too, without any error message.

can someone give me some advice on what i have failed to do? by the way, if it matters, i only use wifi to access the web.
thanks for the help
so what is the "external entity" which fails to load? I understood this program would give the name of the caller if it could find it. No?
Have i failed to contribute some information or properly edited a file?

perhaps i should add that in the phone number example above i did have all the correct numbers, not x.

Last edited by jdr93; 2011-03-15 at 17:41.

Posts: 932 | Thanked: 278 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Kentucky
Has anybody been able to get this to work as expected?

Posts: 139 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Planet Earth for now!
Ok I'm dying to try this program, but a little bit(alot) confused in North America we need <Query> which is a database lookup site or database correct?

Then the dialing pattern which would be "1+xxx+xxxx" 1 being international where normally it is just xxx-xxxx for those in NA

So at 52 states and 10 area codes per state +/- thats 520 area codes that would need to be in the XML file to cover the US,correct?

Or am I overthinking this? Not asking for a free meal just teach me to fish better. Yeah I am a noob but trying.

Originally Posted by jdr93 View Post
so what is the "external entity" which fails to load?
It's the config file which tells the program how it's supposed to find the name of the caller. (Without it, it is only able to guess the nearest city.)

No such config exists for North America because nobody has made one. I think the point was just that it's not your fault that nobody has made one yet.

If you, or someone else, wants to create such a config and post it here, I'd include it in future versions of the program. However, it may not be an easy task, and perhaps the program will need more features for it to be possible. If so, just let me know.

Originally Posted by AgentZ View Post
Ok I'm dying to try this program, but a little bit(alot) confused in North America we need <Query> which is a database lookup site or database correct?
Currently, it must be a website for reverse directory lookups yes.

Then the dialing pattern which would be "1+xxx+xxxx" 1 being international where normally it is just xxx-xxxx for those in NA

So at 52 states and 10 area codes per state +/- thats 520 area codes that would need to be in the XML file to cover the US,correct?
Only if you need to use a different website for every state/area code. I don't think that is the case, though I suppose it's possible.

As far as I know, the international pattern would be +1xxxyyyzzzz, where xxx is the area code. I've also heard that even for normal domestic traffic, GSM signaling always include the area code. But if there are problems with area codes anyway, I'd like to hear about it and try to fix it. That's one reason the diagnostics in the terminal window can be useful, so it's possible to know what the program sees (and whether that has an area code and long-distance prefix etc).

Last edited by ovekaaven; 2011-03-15 at 22:03.

Posts: 139 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Planet Earth for now!
Originally Posted by ovekaaven View Post
Currently, it must be a website for reverse directory lookups yes.
Okay, so <query> www.reversephonedirectory,com and the the rest of the fields that you want info about <name> <address> <carrier> and what not.
I'm slow but learning

Only if you need to use a different website for every state/area code.
getting a 10 character message error

Posts: 932 | Thanked: 278 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Kentucky

Or am I overthinking this? Not asking for a free meal just teach me to fish better. Yeah I am a noob but trying.
Yup, what you assumed is correct. And if you have to include calls from canada, you'd have to add an additional 100 area codes.
Best of lucks.

Posts: 212 | Thanked: 66 times | Joined on May 2010 @ India
@ejasmudar

Thank you for the file.But why its showing my Mobile number to be in Arunachal pradesh when i am actually in Andhrapradesh.By the way it shown land line number exactly.Can you make it possible to let the deamon show the address too.Thank you verymuch.

Last edited by udaychaitanya16; 2011-03-16 at 09:16.

Posts: 800 | Thanked: 957 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ India
[QUOTE=udaychaitanya16;968776]
Originally Posted by ejasmudar View Post
Buddy, this app is currently on in development, so you can only test it out.
Unzip that file and place the contents of it in /opt/callerid/.
To run it, in xterm type
Code:
callerid --deamon
. The app will then wait for a call and when call comes, it will show a banner with details.

Thank you for the file.But why its showing my Mobile number to be in Arunachal pradesh when i am actually in Andhrapradesh.By the way it shown land line number exactly.Can you make it possible to let the deamon show the address too.Thank you verymuch.
The landline details have been taken from BSNL's site directly. But mobile number details were taken from wikipedia. It is possible that wikipedia's data may be old/wrong. Please check this page [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_...ing_in_India ] and tell me whether your number is given under Arunachal Pradesh or Andra Pradesh.

Address is not possible, because we do not have a directory look up service for mobiles/landlines. (I have found only for Kerala)

To the developer, could you please modify the behavior of his app slightly? What I want is that if the number i sidentified from the addressbook, it should first check for the note, and if it is not there, it should just act normally and display the location. Currently, if the note is not there, the app does nothing more.

My apps for N9:
LockScreenQuotes
USbS

If you feel I have helped you, don't forget to press Thanks!

Last edited by ejasmudar; 2011-03-16 at 09:53.

The Following User Says Thank You to ejasmudar For This Useful Post: