Active Topics

Posts: 213 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Rota Land
Saw this minutes ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRl2IlMP588

i wish we could update the N900 to solely run on Meego CE

Posts: 64 | Thanked: 58 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ United States
hmm.... well it's pretty much the same thing as it's been for the past couple of releases, not too much new here (even in the way of performance). I'm using a class 10 microSD

If you're dead set on trying this, don't think youre getting a whole new phone....

That being said, uninstalling NITdroid locked me out and requires I reflash, so I decided to install Meego CE to my eMCC for the hell of it (I had to reflash anyway, I'll just do it after meego now )

I'll post my results when I get it up and running.

Last edited by antman8969; 2011-06-23 at 21:23.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to antman8969 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 64 | Thanked: 58 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ United States
Well, all done...

It's definitely more responsive than with the external sd installation. Startup is better and everything works for the most part, but it isn't night and day.

People keep hoping that this is a Maemo replacement, and that just isn't the case, nor is it intended to be.

now to go reflash to Maemo...

The Following User Says Thank You to antman8969 For This Useful Post:
seems like using internet via 3g is not avadible yet as there are no boxes for inputing service provder settings.

also get alot of icons turning to a red box.

apart from that all working pretty good considering the older images i have tried .

keep up the good work

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
I hope this hasn't been asked again but if somebody knows give me a quick answer. Has the designation of mmcblk's changed since SF edition? I have uboot from shr project and SF boots fine. Now I copied the summer edition and it gives me an error to choose the correct partition.

Posts: 434 | Thanked: 990 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Australia
Originally Posted by mistman View Post
seems like using internet via 3g is not avadible yet as there are no boxes for inputing service provder settings.

also get alot of icons turning to a red box.

apart from that all working pretty good considering the older images i have tried .

keep up the good work
Apn config is available from network settings (under WiFi and Bluetooth) I'm with Telstra in Aus and simply entered the apn name and hit the active context button to trigger 3g data.
Spent most of yesterday at work surfing the web via 3g on it.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to onethreealpha For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by onethreealpha View Post
Apn config is available from network settings (under WiFi and Bluetooth) I'm with Telstra in Aus and simply entered the apn name and hit the active context button to trigger 3g data.
Spent most of yesterday at work surfing the web via 3g on it.
here in the uk for o2 i tried just the username and password hit connect and nothing an nowere to input more settings like accsess point and such.

also carnt get out of silent mode even when loud profile has been activated .

Posts: 434 | Thanked: 990 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Australia
Apn config is a work in progress.
Obviously works for some and not for others, but O2 in UK comes up frequently in mobile forums as a pita to connect to.

Remember this is still a testing (beta for want of a better word) image. team is working hard to bring us a good product.
also things like apn for mobile data were not in the original scope for DE and have only recently been added.
things like ringer profiles and sms/calendar event alerting are of lower priority than things that break the ux.....

Well, given MeeGo CE a try for the very first time and pretty much as the video shows it's a very nice WIP OS - got a lot of potential and the guys working on it have done a superb job so far, getting it to deal with the N900. Big thumbs up from me.

It isnt ready for general use, or close to being a Maemo replacement, as it has it's bugs and quirks (eg. camera wont focus, calendar app rotation has a mind of its own etc) but as others have said before it is not intended to be the finished product, not yet anyway, more a platform to show case MeeGo.

It was really nice to try something new and different on my N900, great experience and not difficult at all to do (did uboot on MicroSD class4 BTW), it ran really well. Looking forward to future releases. Keep up the good work guys!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ikirk For This Useful Post:
I am having some trouble with running the current summer release of meego, though I had not tried any other releases before.

I have successfully written the raw data into the mmc and flashed with the given kernel in this release. However, although I am able to see the 1.2 Community Edition Logo without backlight, some texts start to emerge. Since there is no backlight, I can barely read them yet as far as I could read, some errors about EXT4-FS are written in those texts.

So here is my question, what did I possibly do wrong?