Closed Thread
So are you implying that because the councilors awarded themselves a device they are not to be trusted. Are you suggesting that people will be less inclined to pledge money/web space etc as the councilors might just make a break for el'mexico with the loot?

Consider how absurd this argument is please.

So all your words boil down to:

Regardless of whether they deserved to win or not, it was not fair for them to award themselves an award because they were the judges. This is despite being made the judges by Nokia.

Is it less fair of them to enter for the awards that they were to give out than to remove their opportunity to win by not allowing them to enter?

Last edited by vi_; 2012-06-26 at 14:53.

Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
Originally Posted by vi_ View Post
Yes, that is what is being said. Them only being in the council for 1 month is inconsequential. To get into the council they had to already prove themselves.
let's do the math, there were 7 people in elections, while AFAIK one didnt provide too much info about himself. So even if only 1 person would be good enuf(not a fact, just an example) you still needed to get 4 more right? so it's obv that you had to choose the less of bad to collect other 4. Or let's put it as math question for children.

You have 7 fruits, 6 apples and 1 pear. Pear is tasty and sweet, while apples are not ready and bitter. You need to pick up 5 to make the most sweet salad you can. How many % of sweetness you can get?

Or like it was said, in Russia even after politics fixed the votes, they still had a lot of votes, as there were not that much options anyway. if you A is better than B it doesn't mean it suits right, it's just suit better than A =)

So are you implying that because the councilors awarded themselves a device they are not to be trusted. Are you suggesting that people will be less inclined to pledge money/web space etc as the councilors might just make a break for el'mexico with the loot?

Consider how absurd this argument is please.
Not like that, but in some point it takes off most motivation and trust and yes less people would be just less willing to donate or support community, as people who would ask it would be council.

Edit: lemme quote myself :

while here the conflict of interests exactly between personal benefit and community.
If once personal benefit was chosen it might be chosen once more. As old proverb says : A friend in need is a friend indeed

Last edited by ZogG; 2012-06-26 at 14:54.

So you are saying there was only 1 'good' candidate and the rest are fodder?

If you feel that the council is of such a low quality and it is of importance to you why did you not run for office yourself? Why are you not taking part in the process, making your voice heard on the mailing list, IRC, TMO, etc?

The Following User Says Thank You to vi_ For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
So you are saying there was only 1 'good' candidate and the rest are fodder?

If you feel that the council is of such a low quality and it is of importance to you why did you not run for office yourself? Why are you not taking part in the process, making your voice heard on the mailing list, IRC, TMO, etc?
Can't speak for another person, but I removed my own name due to wanting candidates that would be a great fit for the job.

This did not happen it seems.

Posts: 2,102 | Thanked: 1,937 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Berlin, Germany
There is no conflict of interests, because it never was a 'code of conduct' announced!
Nokia gave the devices away, and they never said the judges should not receive any of them.
The council members have all applied for a device, because they are part of the very community.They are not some sort of 'elder statesmen' having retired and living from the benefits of their rich contributions here!

The Following User Says Thank You to michaaa62 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,583 | Thanked: 1,203 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Everywhere
when its will end? Please? I just think about maemo.org, where it gonna be next year, i dont give a f**k about this award, lets move on and please to all Fremantle developer, give harmattan more love, its on same boat, dying on the maemo ship!!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ibrakalifa For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by michaaa62 View Post
There is no conflict of interests, because it never was a 'code of conduct' announced!
Nokia gave the devices away, and they never said the judges should not receive any of them.
The council members have all applied for a device, because they are part of the very community.They are not some sort of 'elder statesmen' having retired and living from the benefits of their rich contributions here!
true no one own here anyone anything, but what than makes us community and need in council?

For other arguments, i think it was explained several times in two threads, but it seems people are stuck on repeating the same excuses again and again in loop.

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by geneven View Post

I personally would have appointed some people deemed objective observers to give the awards

Since the current crowd are so oblivious to the obvious, I guess it is time to abandon hope, as I previously said.
I'm not oblivious, then or now.

When it started, the awards were going to be decided by Estel and Woody because they were not going to request awards:

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...2&postcount=20

That was fine with me and I said so. But it changed after that, including that Estel later changed his mind and decided to request an award.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
I'm not oblivious, then or now.

When it started, the awards were going to be decided by Estel and Woody because they were not going to request awards:

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...2&postcount=20

That was fine with me and I said so. But it changed after that, including that Estel later changed his mind and decided to request an award.
But after you saw that it's already 4 of 5 in there ,could you at least and re think that it can't work and should be decided between you who would give up device or other optins or maybe take prev council as judges or other well-known stars of maemo to do it?

There is always an option. And we judge not you but choice, as we are community and you represent us.

Closed Thread

Tags
clarity, council fail, dishonesty, outcry, titfortat, trollmageddon, trolls, untrustworthy, whereisthelove