Active Topics

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by szopin View Post
just pouring some gasoline on the fire here:
http://winphone7news.blogspot.com/20...ows-phone.html

but daaaamn, with all iphones/samsungs going for the dull rectangle shape this thing could put nokia back in play with stylish design (also no need to carry your digicam with you on vacation, though this hits the wrong companies)
hot!! Go nokia

Originally Posted by szopin View Post
Just pouring some gasoline on the fire here:
http://winphone7news.blogspot.com/20...ows-phone.html

but daaaamn, with all iPhones/Samsungs going for the dull rectangle shape this thing could put Nokia back in play with stylish design (also no need to carry your digicam with you on vacation, though this hits the wrong companies)

Wow, look at the specs...

From the leaked slides, we can see that this devices will have the following specs:
4.3″ Curved Glass touchscreen with HD display
41mp sensor, Carl Zeiss lens and PureView imaging technology
080p full HD video recording and Rich Recording Technology
Dual Core processor with Adreno 320 GPU
Windows Phone 8 OS

I kid about the specs typo, guess the author of the article had his other hand busy at the thought of a WP feature phone

Somehow this just looks like a concept design or some fanboy dream phone. Maybe its the little cynic in me popping up after seeing so many supposed "leaked phones" or the doubt that if Nokia and MS wanted to push the pure view tech for windows phone, then they would have announced it for their flagship phones first?

Maybe it is, no idea how little is your cynic in you, but frankly, one of the worst things that came with iphones for me: flat, oblong, slim brick design (with apple patented rounded corners lol). Where are the flipphones, razrs, ngages... there used to be sooo much diversity (with similar offering hw/sw wise), now we not only have same sw, but design guys just took a break. Probably fanboy design, still looks amazing.

Oh I do agree, it does look like very nice design for the case. Kind of "sporty" IMO and yes I do agree that all we seem to have these days are slabs (not counting the budget candy bar phones)

But I do wonder how legit the images really are? Or if it is a real Nokia design then maybe it could be one of the many that are drawn up on a daily basis? After all they do hire guys who sole role is to draw phones all day for the R&D department.

To be quite frank, we have seen so many supposedly "leaked" handsets these days that I have learned to not get excited until an official announcement is made.

This article just reeks of Nokia/Microsoft desperation:

Now comes the hard part — selling the Nokia Lumia 900

Desperation in PR dept or marketing or R&D??? 900 is on par if not better than latest iphone. No desperation here, except maybe counting on users bored with revolutionary iDevices (ipad3 revolution in the making, revolutionary higher resolution and processor, 41mpx tops that in all possible ways). Steve left quite a mess, without his charisma noone is going to be able to sell single threaded OS as smartphone indeed. Hundreds of pages claiming iPhone size as the best will not change peoples interest in Note. Does apple still have a visionary/marketer?

without his charisma noone is going to be able to sell single threaded OS as smartphone indeed
you mean only steve jobs could have sold wp...

Posts: 1,583 | Thanked: 1,203 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Everywhere
sold wp? LoL

sold a piece of crap. Maemo is better 1000%.

Posts: 273 | Thanked: 463 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Athens
Originally Posted by Lumiaman View Post
That is yet to be seen. The doomsdayers here should remember how apple came to the brink of bankruptcy and dissolution, and rose up again. Ordinary people, as someone said above, think of a device that will give them smooth, reliable, day and nite device. Maemo and Meego are far short from that. 99% of the population could care less what the OS is, as LONG AS THE EXPERIENCE IS SMOOTH AND RELIABLE!!!!!!. Lumia 800 and 900 deliver that. I think that NOKIA will do OK.
Apple came back to life with bringing new products especialy the ipod, plus some help from MS that didn't want to be characterized as a monopoly. Nokia didn't introduce anything new besides the N9 it's same ***** different phone for the average user. And 99% of the people does care about their iphones and their androids thwey just don't care about MS and Nokia. Why would you buy a WP phone if your friends and family are using Iphones and droids and are happy with them??? You would if WP offered you something spectacular. Does it? It most definitely not. Just a iphone wannabe with a horrible logo and brand name that people hate.

Originally Posted by GrimyHR View Post
desktop becoming irrelevant? lol, what is replacing it? those "tablets" that cant actually do anything?
Yes sir. Those tablets are useless I agree but people LOOOOVE them you don't here many people bragging about their new PC but they love those Ipads. Apple sold more iPads in 2011 then HP sold Desktops. In a way it's steve jobs revenge to MS they threw him out of the desktop market and he made it obsolete.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
I just had to type this in for this conversation...
taken from Tech News Today 473 (Thu 4/5/2012), this email from Richard in Cleveland (about 47 minutes into the podcast):

Tom and Posse,
I find it a little odd that in the reviews of the Lumia 900, people have been disappointed that Nokia didn't put in the latest and greatest technology. This was echoed by Iyaz on yesterday's show. It's my understanding that Windows Phone 7 runs on very specific hardware. There is no code base to support higher resolutions, multiple cores, more than 512mb of RAM or crazy camera optics. While Nokia supposedly had more lattitude to customize Windows Phone 7, I don't think they had the access, resources or time, to rewrite the operating system to support even one of those features. Of course, this raises question of what Nokia can offer to the platform that others can't. Not to say that people CAN'T complain about the hardware on the Lumia 900 and the reviews are appropriate to point out this deficiency compared to other platforms but I think the blame should be focused more on Microsoft than Nokia for not being on the cutting edge.

Iyaz Akhtar responded to the email saying:
The reason why I think a lot of people were disappointed about the 900 is the fact that it's not necessarily as future-proof as some of these other phones should be. While Windows Phone 7 does have limitations, in the future Windows Phone 8 which is, like, I think rumored to be December--that's the big rumor--if that shows up around that time this Nokia will not be able to support some things that the next version should be able to do. When you get a phone that has a two year contract, you're stuck for TWO YEARS unless you want to pay extra. I know it's only $99 with a contract and that's an attractive kind of feature but TWO YEARS where you're stuck with last year's technology, even if the software gets better, you might not be able to get access to that and that's why I think that Nokia's still botched it.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Last edited by danramos; 2012-04-07 at 07:13.

Tags
blame others, deluded fanboys, kidsbeingkids, lumiadork, ms will die, salesdroids, the elop flop, wp blows