Notices

Hi thanks so much for working with me here...

I did a complete reflash (both the kernel and the emmc or whatever it is called). Then the first thing I did was go to app manager and install advanced-power. Its a no go again, I have no candle in on the top left or when I tap on that area.

Again this is after a complete reflash and with the absolute first (and at this point only) thing I have done being installing advanced-power (which installs advanced-power-monitor I have figured out). Hmmm I am beginning to thing this has nothing to do with my phone.

At this point I have nothing but these repo's as it is a fresh install...
Nokia Applications
Nokia System Sorfware Updates
Ovi
Maemo.org

as for which repo I stay at, or have as my default, I don't understand...I had all the repos you mentioned installed previously, does that mean that the most risky (ie, devel correct) becomes the default repo?

I had very few apps installed, (that I installed myself that is) probably less then 20.

I wonder if anyone else has done a complete reflash and then tried to activate advanced-power. btw these are the files I used and I am in the us....

RX-51_2009SE_10.2010.13-2.VANILLA_PR_EMMC_MR0_ARM.bin
RX-51_2009SE_20.2010.36-2.002_PR_COMBINED_002_ARM.bin

At this point I would just live without the great app, but if this really is just me, then obviously there is something wrong with the device that effects more then one app right?

So can I assume this is a result of
a) pr 1.3 and
b) doing a complete reflash

perhaps I don't understand it correctly, but a complete reflash of both kernel and emmc wipes the device to factory defaults...so it is does not work after that and there are no other problem apps, then it is a function of either pr 1.3 and this app correct?

boy I hate the default battery status.

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Sorry I didn't reply yesterday.

I didn't notice you had posted another post.

Anyway, if it installs badly on a clean install, the only thing I can imagine is perhaps the Advanced Power (/Monitor) doesn't actually install some dependency, or the right version of some dependency, that it needs for properly changing the status menu, and/or doing some other things...

At this stage, it is beyond my area of expertise.

At this point I have nothing but these repo's as it is a fresh install...
Nokia Applications
Nokia System Sorfware Updates
Ovi
Maemo.org

as for which repo I stay at, or have as my default, I don't understand...I had all the repos you mentioned installed previously, does that mean that the most risky (ie, devel correct) becomes the default repo?
Anyway, yeah, that's what I meant. Apt-get will always try to get the latest version of something - which means if you have testing enabled, the newer versions in testing are taken instead of versions in extras, and if you have devel enabled, the newest versions are taken from there. I asked because I was wondering if perhaps you were installing it from extras or testing. I'm not sure where all the dependencies reside for this app, so I thought maybe the bug happened because it needed something in Devel... (but then that doesn't explain why it got promoted to extras if it's dependencies couldn't come with it.)

I've done two Fiasco reflashes, one because I bootlooped and one to upgrade to PR1.3. Never reflashed EMMC though. I never had Advanced Power be the first thing installed - though after upgrading to PR1.3 it was among the first 20 things or so I installed.

when are you going to fix the difference issue? there is always 5% less than reality

"live today like you were going to die tomorrow, plan for tomorrow like you we going to live for ever.."

The developer of this app doesn't have an N900 anymore, and I don't have the python skills to start making improvements.

Also, before saying there is always 5% less than reality, answer: Do you have power kernel, and if so, do you always have bq27x00_battery loaded upon boot?

Near as I can tell, there are two issues involved. One, bq27x00_battery reports a similarly named value to HAL as BME does. See this post two pages ago in this thread. http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=603

Two, bq27x00_battery seems to fetch a slightly more accurate value than BME does. Always. I don't know why. Maybe Nokia made BME under-report in order to create an extra 'safety' layer - N900 will be recharged and/or shutdown earlier if the N900 reports a lower battery value than it actually is at. In the case of the shutdown part, this means longer before the backup reservoir of energy is wiped out. Honestly, frak if I know. What I do know is that the BME value and the bq27x00_battery percent-battery-left value is always different, with the bq27x00_battery one being higher (different use cases and circumstances can make that difference anywhere between a couple percent, to 20% under rare circumstances. I once spent an hour and a half using my N900 with the battery reporting 0%).

So, moving on: As far as I know, this means that your normal battery applet also always underreports.

What can be done about it? The way I understand, the best thing is for the applet to check if you're using bq27x00_battery. If that module is loaded, then you use the value it reports. If it's not loaded, you use the BME one like normal. I haven't checked the SVNs lately - I don't know if the developer is doing anything else with this thing right now. If I have the time, I will eventually figure out how to do it and submit the patch to him.

Last edited by Mentalist Traceur; 2010-11-05 at 20:37. Reason: Typo

how do you run this application, i downloaded it but alas it doesnt seem to start, even though start apmonitord says its all started ... confused~!

Well, if it installed fine, there's no "running". If you install Advanced Power, it just replaces your battery status menu applet, adding some extra info next to the icon that pops up.

If you just installed Advanced Power Monitor, without Advanced Power, then nothing will happen. Advanced Power Monitor runs in the background and gets battery data, etc. Advanced Power Monitor, in turn, takes that data and displays it in place of the replaced battery applet.

So, the question becomes, did you install Advanced Power (which will install Advanced Power Monitor as a dependency) or did you only install Advanced Power Monitor (which will not install Advanced Power with it, and thus will just run in the background doing nothing - though you can query it from the command line, I think)?

If you just installed Advanced Power Monitor, then install Advanced Power as well - and you should be able to see what it does.

I am also having the same issue with PR1.3, Advanced Power just removes the battery indicator. Of course that could be because the battery charging on my replacement phone is broken in the extreme.

In essence, if I plug it in with a usb cable, it complains that the device is drawing more power than the cable provides, and battery graph shows it as really low on the charging. The phone does charge after leaving it plugged in for a long time, but as soon as I unplug the phone it says the battery is 0% Then I reboot it and it says it's at 97%.

Talk about odd. So I don't know if the major problem of it not charging properly (which by the way, it seems to only have the pulsating yellow light while the screen is off, unlike my old one that would have it as long as it was plugged into anything...) has anything to do do with why the Advanced Power isn't showing up, or not.

I've sent an email in the wee hours of the morning to Nokia Care. May have to call them up and get a repair... again... I already sent this phone back once, and have now only had it back for two days.

slaapliedje

Well, first off, Advanced Power tends to take a little long to initiate in my experience.

Also, in my experience, the yellow (it's actually technically orange - yellow looks a bit different, and in my experience is always a sign of an error - but you'll know it when you see it. If your device is still working, and shutting down/not-booting, you're probably getting the orange light - but it's similar enough to yellow when you have nothing to compare it to), anyway, that light never blinks when charging when the screen is on. I am pretty sure it only flashes when screen is off (I think the logic is, when it's on, you can see the battery icon).

So overall, I'm not sure how much of your problem is your N900 being broken right now. It doesn't seem too bad.

*Sigh* I really don't know what's going on with Advanced Power wiping out everyone's Battery icons from the status menu.

Did you install from Devel, Testing, or Extras?

strange update. I tried again today to install this time with my phone charging (which has been rebooting while recharging but I guess that is another issue). well it did not appear again...and by mistake I hit the top right (that brings up the little circle that unlocks the desktop) and as soon as I did that the advanced-power candle appeared. hmm but as soon as it appeared I clicked on the status menu (whatever it is called)...and all my custom items such as simple brightness, wifi switcher, 2g/3g switcher and ssh server on/off...all were now gone. but a reboot brought them back....so now by virtue of mistakingly hitting my screen everything is cool. well for now anyways

Tags
applet, battery, python, statusbar