Poll: How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB
Poll Options
How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB

Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by Alecsandru View Post
Sorry for stepping in , but I also have some questions:
wouldn't be cheaper to mace pcb in one place , buy pieces from another and ansamble them in another place?
How you can make a dam quad in china including display , software etc , and priced under 500?
I know that omap3 desire , but is the time to move on , build a powerfull board and fit it inside n900 casing ,
You're free to start your own project based on this concept. We have a pretty clear-cut project specification that includes omap3 SoC and using the established workflow and resources from GTA04 project.
/j

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2013-09-28 at 18:05.

The Following User Says Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
452 votes on poll (aka "preorders")
>=700EUR: 65 (plus the ~10 'hidden' votes resp vote changes)
>=600EUR: 91 ( " )
>=550EUR: 104
>=500EUR: 159

I'm musing what we could offer to get the "500ers" on board - maybe deferred payment on the preorder, combined with a ~10% discount compared to the final pricetag? 2 years of warranty?

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2013-09-28 at 18:35.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
wait, what? are you proposing offering an optional discount?

The Following User Says Thank You to wolke For This Useful Post:
oh, you mean for everybody, but mostly as an incentive to bring along the stragglers. sorry, thought you were crazy instead of me.

The Following User Says Thank You to wolke For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,118 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
I'm musing what we could offer to get the "500ers" on board - maybe deferred payment on the preorder, combined with a ~10% discount compared to the final pricetag? 2 years of warranty?
[IRONY]
Then I'll raise my offer to 500
[/IRONY]

Seriously: the more I follow this thread I feel I want/need one, too...

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

Last edited by peterleinchen; 2013-09-28 at 19:34. Reason: insert irony tags to make it clear for fabry and others

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 155 | Thanked: 309 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ The Netherlands
Voted (800). I've been following this thread since day one and I think it's an awesome project.
Just hope you guys and the maemo5-fremantle porting taskforce can pull it off.

n900user259

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to n900user259 For This Useful Post:
I just heard about Neo900 and I'm very excited about it, when can I preorder? Still using an n900 on daily basis.

The Following User Says Thank You to ext For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,378 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Göteborg, Sweden
I am a 500'er sorely tempted to raise to 700. My hesitance relates to the porting enterprise that is separate from the hw effort. Further, joerg_rw noted that the neo900 will not come with fremantle installed. Financially I need a neo900 that can function as a phone with relative ease and that means the fremantle porting work must have succeeded to some point by the neo900 delivery date.. But will it have done so? That point is a crucial one for me...

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to handaxe For This Useful Post:
just finished moving my 18 to 24 months "old" primary N900 to my "test device"

old config
  • power kernel
  • NO community SSU
    (had it on old test dev and didn't feel it was improving things, but it was stable, so...)
  • two swap partitions on µSD
    (switching from cli every now & then
  • too many apps i once installed but never used
  • until last may i had nearly 2 yrs history of chat, SMS, calls & all (el-vi.db was over 20MB )
    mid may started using glogarchive but it does not work for me (struggling w/ the 20MB as well?)
  • since a few weeks it tends to stop responding & requires a reboot or even a battery stop

new config
  • power kernel + CSSU Thumb2
  • two swap partitions on µSD
  • only those apps that i used on a regular basis in the last few months
  • started with empty el-v1.db

long story short...
i already spent 100€ on the Jolla pre-order, thus i'll probably stick with that.
both my N900s are still in decent shape & fully usable 4 me, so if Thumb2 (& the slimmed down config ) work, i may wait until June 2014 before getting a Jolla device
a Neo900? with 512MB RAM, 1.2 GHz CPU (or more ) and... i paid ~400€ for a white N9, going to pay ~400€ for Jolla device but... IF my N900 works properly with Thumb2 i may well simply keep that.
if on top of that Jolla device gets a QWERTY hardware keyboard, maybe it's time to move on?
appreciate the effort of the Community, but... 700€? that's more then i ever spent on a mobile
too much for me i'm afraid.

on the other hand, if there is no (satisfactory) QWERTY other half and Thumb2 does not improve things, i may consider spending 450€ for a beefed up N900 successor
maybe 500

Posts: 257 | Thanked: 2,053 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by handaxe View Post
I am a 500'er sorely tempted to raise to 700. My hesitance relates to the porting enterprise that is separate from the hw effort. Further, joerg_rw noted that the neo900 will not come with fremantle installed. Financially I need a neo900 that can function as a phone with relative ease and that means the fremantle porting work must have succeeded to some point by the neo900 delivery date.. But will it have done so? That point is a crucial one for me...
I don't think Fremantle port won't be ready before Neo900 is released to the public, but even if it won't, then you'll still have QtMoko and SHR available, which both should "function as a phone with relative ease". They already work great on GTA04 and have some working ports to N900, so Neo900 compatibility should be there from day one.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dos1 For This Useful Post:

Tags
neo900, thank you!