Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
Your forgetting something here, do you remember the N900 is CLOSED source???? well guess what.... so is the N9 !.

A bill, some parts. You never sees the whole picture. Just talking ****.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 1,408 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ London
Wallstreet Journal showing Nokia love?

Meanwhile, New Scientist reports that an older Nokia handset, the N900, has become the first smartphone to power a brain scanner.

http://blogs.wsj.com/tech-europe/201...ogle_news_blog

Last edited by afaq; 2011-09-20 at 15:57.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to afaq For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
I posted that 24hrs ago But the direct new scientist article.
Interesting to see WSJ running with it though, along w/a positive spin in general on N9/900/Nokia/MeeGo.

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-09-20 at 16:01.

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Moblin actually did have a rep. at the time (for some form-factors) when it comes to Linux.
I recall several extensive writes-up from sites like phoronix that felt it stood-out from anything else around at the time.
This was before the tie-up....
It did have some good stuff to bring to the table, I can't recall it all now, pretty sure power management was part of it.
Yes, the articles (also on arstechnica, if i'm not mistaken), were mostly that the Netbook Moblin/MeeGo booted really quickly and performance was very good (optimized for atom). A lot of "quickboot" trick were later also adopted in most other linux distributions.
But I always thought the reviewers were way to easy on the OS, and doubt they actually used it for a long period of time.
I tried Moblin on my netbook even before any partnership with Nokia was announced, and continued to try the updates (and MeeGo Netbook UX) since. It never lasted long on my netbook, and I quickly reverted back to Linux Mint.
Moblin/MeeGo netbook UX was/is buggy, incompatible and incomplete and not suitable for any end user. imho.

Maemo was always based on relatively old debian components (because originally it was one of the very few distros to support ARM), so I could understand that they wanted a different solution.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bernard For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Chuck Norris View Post
Who in this thread needs a brain scan?
Free brain scan? - o/

"Gods have mercy. Cats don't..." <- Kaotik@iotech

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by IcyMoustache View Post
From a Myriad's perspective, this is the single most important moment in defining the future greatness of their company... truly... they can either sit back as kings and wait for Nokia to ask them to help; or put in some intelligent hack for Alien Dalvik on Harmattan core...

The latter will mean a sureshot path to their success, and hope they are sensible enough to follow it.
Unless there's something not quite right about it... maybe afraid of also getting sued by Oracle (like Google) if they release it? Thus, it would make sense that they would INSIST that Nokia be the customer buying for their handsets so that they can share the responsibility in a lawsuit? I don't know.. I just find it odd that they didn't sell it as a product to customers back when they supposedly had one for the N900 already.

Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
Bernard your posts speaks volumes as it is sad to read that keen developers are just not being treated in a good way at all, more so why the many are now reporting meego as dead.
Customers aren't treated well either--THAT also hurts the individual developers who hope to sell to prospective consumers. Nokia is failing from top to bottom. Incredible.

Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
But as it turns out building your own linux distribution from scratch isn't a very easy task, as was the development of SDK, UX and application set.
The problem was choosing to play the open-source card... then doing their damnest to close it up as tight as they could manage within decent time--even REPEATEDLY choosing components that weren't open-source friendly. They put so much effort into writing closed-source applications on top of the OS that you couldn't even remove without damaging the OS's functionality. Their failure can be chalked up to simply closed-minded behavior pretending to be open-minded. They wanted community but they did everything to ignore it--they don't even officially host anything Maemo, and don't bother to listen to customers or read forums. They puffer up openness but they refused to open up code and didn't want to fix many things that were reported as bugs/requests. There weren't regular security updates and you couldn't depend on Nokia for contracts, support or even spare parts.

Simply put, they pretended to adopt Linux but they didn't actually adopt any of the successful methodologies from Linux that have benefited commercial entities like Red Hat, Canonical, IBM and so on.

MeeGo SEEMED like a move in the right direction--but I *KNEW* early on that they would screw this up. I remember saying repeatedly that I LIKED what I kept hearing about it, and it was a great hope--but I couldn't shake the feeling that they'd screw it up big one way or another. So far, that appears to be the case.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
Yes, the articles (also on arstechnica, if i'm not mistaken), were mostly that the Netbook Moblin/MeeGo booted really quickly and performance was very good (optimized for atom). A lot of "quickboot" trick were later also adopted in most other linux distributions.
But I always thought the reviewers were way to easy on the OS, and doubt they actually used it for a long period of time.
I tried Moblin on my netbook even before any partnership with Nokia was announced, and continued to try the updates (and MeeGo Netbook UX) since. It never lasted long on my netbook, and I quickly reverted back to Linux Mint.
Moblin/MeeGo netbook UX was/is buggy, incompatible and incomplete and not suitable for any end user. imho.
It was def. ahead of the curve in some fundamental areas (mostly hw "optimisationy" IIRC) 18mth+ back.
But not too sure about now, I haven't been following it closely at all since then.

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-09-20 at 16:05.

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Unless there's something not quite right about it... maybe afraid of also getting sued by Oracle (like Google) if they release it? Thus, it would make sense that they would INSIST that Nokia be the customer buying for their handsets so that they can share the responsibility in a lawsuit? I don't know.. I just find it odd that they didn't sell it as a product to customers back when they supposedly had one for the N900 already.

Customers aren't treated well either--THAT also hurts the individual developers who hope to sell to prospective consumers. Nokia is failing from top to bottom. Incredible.

The problem was choosing to play the open-source card... then doing their damnest to close it up as tight as they could manage within decent time--even REPEATEDLY choosing components that weren't open-source friendly. They put so much effort into writing closed-source applications on top of the OS that you couldn't even remove without damaging the OS's functionality. Their failure can be chalked up to simply closed-minded behavior pretending to be open-minded. They wanted community but they did everything to ignore it--they don't even officially host anything Maemo, and don't bother to listen to customers or read forums. They puffer up openness but they refused to open up code and didn't want to fix many things that were reported as bugs/requests. There weren't regular security updates and you couldn't depend on Nokia for contracts, support or even spare parts.

Simply put, they pretended to adopt Linux but they didn't actually adopt any of the successful methodologies from Linux that have benefited commercial entities like Red Hat, Canonical, IBM and so on.

MeeGo SEEMED like a move in the right direction--but I *KNEW* early on that they would screw this up. I remember saying repeatedly that I LIKED what I kept hearing about it, and it was a great hope--but I couldn't shake the feeling that they'd screw it up big one way or another. So far, that appears to be the case.
You could not have said that any better if you tried ...... well said !!!!.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Try it, Dan. You know you've gotta.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Unless there's something not quite right about it... maybe afraid of also getting sued by Oracle (like Google) if they release it? Thus, it would make sense that they would INSIST that Nokia be the customer buying for their handsets so that they can share the responsibility in a lawsuit? I don't know.. I just find it odd that they didn't sell it as a product to customers back when they supposedly had one for the N900 already
Hmm you might have a point there....
In any case we still haven't heard a peep from them.
Given zilch has happend at this late stage...
I think we can kiss goodbye to it ever happening, sadly

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:

Tags
disapoint, eflop, epic win!, laggy interface, n9 rox, so much win, wateriswet, who cares, whyyyyy??????