Banned | Posts: 706 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on May 2010
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
Atleast OSX is better than crap windows. MacOSX Is unixbased atleast.
The new iphone is being announced on October 4th, the Tim Cooke doing the honors: http://www.gsmarena.com/apple_to_hol...-news-3164.php

It still amazes me that people will keep buying the same form and pretty much the same experience, over and over again. Based on what is available, the iphone 5 will look very close to iphone 4 with some tweaks. I think N9 has a good chance of being a well selling phone that people want, if anything, just for being different from the iphone.

Originally Posted by BigBadGuber! View Post
The new iphone is being announced on October 4th, the Tim Cooke doing the honors: http://www.gsmarena.com/apple_to_hol...-news-3164.php

It still amazes me that people will keep buying the same form and pretty much the same experience, over and over again. Based on what is available, the iphone 5 will look very close to iphone 4 with some tweaks. I think N9 has a good chance of being a well selling phone that people want, if anything, just for being different from the iphone.
If you previously owned an iPhone, a lot people will also have bought apps. So it doesn't surprise me that those people would buy another iPhone, otherwise their apps would be useless.
Also the iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4 have a very good user experience (iPhone 3G not so much with the latest iOS updates), so I can understand people are satified with the product.
And iOS is steadily increasing in functionality (build in and using apps), making it more and more difficult for any new platform to compete.
Also if the iPhone 5 will have an A5 processor it will be a lot more powerful than most other phones (a LOT more powerful than N9!).
Also I think that the form of the N9 matches iPhone rather closely (most closely matching Nokia phone in any case.
Don't get me wrong, N9 has a lot of original features, but for most people the choice between N9 and iPhone 5 would be no-brainer: iPhone, especially if similarly priced.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bernard For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Yikes again....
http://www.engadget.com/2011/09/19/c...ced-and-specd/
Actually seems a bit limited...
From what I can garner no storage expansion, camera prolly pretty cruddy too?

How damn cool would it be...
If one day we can have harmattan (modded so it's more akin to fremantle) running on a device similar to this or nexus prime?
Prolly never gunna happen, I know

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by bbin View Post
I do agree. It needs to have support. Let's hope Nokia keeps it's word.

I've seen your really good work but I still don't understand why do you care so much about putting wp7 and harmattan against each other.

WP7 won't have qt. You are developing qt apps, right?
I dont give a **** about Nokia support anymore but I am sure the community will continue pissing on MrFlops strategy.

Just look at N900 still alive and kicking both because of CSSU and also Meego1.3-CE

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
The problem is you need to buy overpriced fruit hardware to run it. I'm not interested in helping to pay for Steve's diamond-encrusted platinum zimmer frame.

My website

GitHub

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 706 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on May 2010
Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
If you previously owned an iPhone, a lot people will also have bought apps. So it doesn't surprise me that those people would buy another iPhone, otherwise their apps would be useless.
Also the iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4 have a very good user experience (iPhone 3G not so much with the latest iOS updates), so I can understand people are satified with the product.
And iOS is steadily increasing in functionality (build in and using apps), making it more and more difficult for any new platform to compete.
Also if the iPhone 5 will have an A5 processor it will be a lot more powerful than most other phones (a LOT more powerful than N9!).
Also I think that the form of the N9 matches iPhone rather closely (most closely matching Nokia phone in any case.
Don't get me wrong, N9 has a lot of original features, but for most people the choice between N9 and iPhone 5 would be no-brainer: iPhone, especially if similarly priced.

Agree completely with you. Its a great dumbphone, doesnt have a personality, but faithfully performs its operations. Very unlike the smartass N900.

Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
Before ANYBODY dare critisise me for my posts please read the above post from marxian as it says everything from a developers point of view.

Marxian thankyou for that post and keep up the great work your doing.
Except you fail to get his main point...

He's saying if the strategy hadn't been full-steam "WP only"* long before the product had even been released.
Then there might actually be significant resources for harmattan/Qt (for the 1st time in its history).
And it might actually be in a stronger state by now, & perhaps even delivered earlier! *shock horror*

*yes Symbian remained basically the same from a closing-out existing project POV, but harmattan certainly didn't.

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-09-21 at 19:37.

Originally Posted by Joao View Post
In Australia pre-order open; 16/64 mem. 829,-/979,- $aus. (627,-/742,- Euro) Bonus a NFC/Bluetooth headset. (shop Harvey Norman)
http://www.nfc-phones.org/nokia-n9-n9-00-lankku/
harvey norman's one of the priciest retailers in australia.

Win7x is awesome, so is OSX.

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by BigBadGuber! View Post

Yeah all the (strongest) rumours are def. pointing to quite a conservative release, hw-wise.
I think Apple may have made a blunder there....
They needed a very strong hw release, as everything's been heating-up so much hw-wise in the past 6mth.
Then again iOS5 is one of their single-biggest software releases, if not the biggest.

If it does in-fact turn out to be very conservative hw-wise...
Then that's a good thing for the N9's chances of adoption on a larger scale than N900.
I doubt it'll ever be a huge successes, but I'm sure it can do better than the N900.

The avg. user that's already heavily invested in Apple's "ecosystem" is unlikely to begin looking elsewhere.
But the more technically-inclined/adventurous will definitely start to, if they haven't already.
They're the vanguard for a longer-term shift, & the conditions may be just about ripe for that to start happening.

The vast majority will go to Android, those whom are happy with their N9's will snare some on their way.
But it's N9 fans most solemn duty, to convert any would be WP users, as many as is humanly possible!

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-09-21 at 17:08.

Tags
disapoint, eflop, epic win!, laggy interface, n9 rox, so much win, wateriswet, who cares, whyyyyy??????