Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
If you previously owned an iPhone, a lot people will also have bought apps. So it doesn't surprise me that those people would buy another iPhone, otherwise their apps would be useless.
Also the iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4 have a very good user experience (iPhone 3G not so much with the latest iOS updates), so I can understand people are satified with the product.
And iOS is steadily increasing in functionality (build in and using apps), making it more and more difficult for any new platform to compete.
Also if the iPhone 5 will have an A5 processor it will be a lot more powerful than most other phones (a LOT more powerful than N9!).
Also I think that the form of the N9 matches iPhone rather closely (most closely matching Nokia phone in any case.
Don't get me wrong, N9 has a lot of original features, but for most people the choice between N9 and iPhone 5 would be no-brainer: iPhone, especially if similarly priced.
hopefully the prevalence of android and also other platforms with browsers supporting html5 will help kill the closed garden app system.

I am praying so.

The Following User Says Thank You to quipper8 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Yeah all the (strongest) rumours are def. pointing to quite a conservative release, hw-wise.
I think Apple may have made a blunder there...
They needed a very strong hw release, as everything's been heating-up so much hw-wise in the past 6mth.
Then again iOS5 is one of their single-biggest software releases, if not the biggest.
so begins the long slow decline of apple on mobile back to a similar niche to what they have on laptops and desktops. Other companies are releasing better spec'ed products for less money with less restrictions and have effectively emulated the 'magic' of touching and swiping fluidly on capacitive glass.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to quipper8 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by quipper8 View Post
hopefully the prevalence of android and also other platforms with browsers supporting html5 will help kill the closed garden app system.

I am praying so.
this might have something to do with the odd bookmarking system of the n9(making an 'app' icon by default)

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
<SNIP>
Also if the iPhone 5 will have an A5 processor it will be a lot more powerful than most other phones (a LOT more powerful than N9!).
IIRC that's widely agreed as one of the "definites"
But everything else is apparently a very minor bump.
Will dig-up a few articles in a tick, if I've got a minute.
Posted them in this thread before....

Also I think that the form of the N9 matches iPhone rather closely (most closely matching Nokia phone in any case.
Don't get me wrong, N9 has a lot of original features, but for most people the choice between N9 and iPhone 5 would be no-brainer: iPhone, especially if similarly priced.
It'll def. have to be quite a bit cheaper, and marketing will have to be agressive.
The former may happen (not hard to beat Apple pricing), not too confident about the latter.

Originally Posted by marxian View Post
The problem is you need to buy overpriced fruit hardware to run it. I'm not interested in helping to pay for Steve's diamond-encrusted platinum zimmer frame.
Hackintosh!?
I've done it, doesn't always pan out so well though.

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by marxian View Post
The problem is you need to buy overpriced fruit hardware to run it. I'm not interested in helping to pay for Steve's diamond-encrusted platinum zimmer frame.
not only that, after you have bought fruit hardware, you also have to pay fruit tax every time your app sells in the fruit store.

Not only that, if you are some type of content subscription service, you have to pay fruit tax on your subscriptions generated in app...

which is why big companies like financial times and others are already opting for html5 development instead of native app in app store

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to quipper8 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Even if there only was one available app(Qspot) for n9 I would still buy the n9, don't need lots of applications, I rather of one fun project running.

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=736

I've always found this for iOS compared to Android too:

My Linux Maemo device wasn’t great in running games, and I’ve used Android devices and find that games are generally sluggish. The only devices I found gaming capable are from Apple. Being curious of gaming performance, I tested out Need for Speed : Shift and I was surprised on how smooth the framerates were, certainly unexpected.
But then again it's prolly changed a lot since gingerbread & all the beast phones.

Source:
http://www.goldfries.com/goldfries-a...-media-launch/

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-09-21 at 17:25.

Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
I've always found this for iOS compared to Android too:

But then again the new beast phones have prolly changed that.

Source:
http://www.goldfries.com/goldfries-a...-media-launch/
even games on the latest Symbian phones with graphics processors are really very nice, in my opinion.

The Following User Says Thank You to quipper8 For This Useful Post:

Tags
disapoint, eflop, epic win!, laggy interface, n9 rox, so much win, wateriswet, who cares, whyyyyy??????