Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by onethreealpha View Post
the great thing about THE TROLL is that he proves my theory that stupidity is infinite and knows no bounds.

Just when, reeling from the latest multicoloured waste of electrons, you think that it couldn't get worse, he comes out with even more rubbish.

I think he's realised that even though I've blocked him, he can still annoy me by making me scroll past half a page of his crap.

I thought reggie was doing something about the spammers......
Your post is remarkably crazy because all i did was enlighten those who do not understand about writing to an os of a device without crashing occuring.

Carry on your stupidity see if i care.

Posts: 819 | Thanked: 806 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Oxnard, Ca.
I tink peoples is angry
Peoples is frustrated
Peoples is anxious
Peoples is impatient
I tink peoples like curvy shiny things.................like b***ies!
Next phone should be ib***ie because there is no wrong way to hold it.

Where's my pacifier?
[wanders off]

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to aironeous For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
As much as i want to agree with you i can not because of what has happened with the N900.

Not even the meego.ce team could put together a decent UX let alone an independant OS for the N900 and they have access to ALL closed code of the N900.

Do you honestly think anything will be different when already Nokia have said no support if any and once again the OS of the N9 is CLOSED SOURCE, so it is another "here we go again" situation.

People who want to buy the N9 do so for whatever reasons but for sure they all know of ill support in general from Nokia so they do with this in mind.

I say WAIT and see what happens with this N9 and its OS and the updates that may never come.

As for further development from a community or who ever.... yeah yeah yeah and look at what happened with the N900 !!!.
That makes sense.... I share the pain many of you have with N900 support from Nokia. But Harmattan in current beta2 form is way more mature than N900 ever could be. I think N9 will survive better even without any support from Nokia.

Put it in another way, if you are not convinced by Harmattan in its current form, then definitely you should wait. That's why I suggest to try the device first, if possible.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sony123 For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by sony123 View Post
That makes sense.... I share the pain many of you have with N900 support from Nokia. But Harmattan in current beta2 form is way more mature than N900 ever could be. I think N9 will survive better even without any support from Nokia.

Put it in another way, if you are not convinced by Harmattan in its current form, then definitely you should wait. That's why I suggest to try the device first, if possible.
I will drink to that for sure if it comes true and i am happy you understand us N900 owners got a bad bad deal from Nokia and i for one do not want a repeat that is why no way i am buying this N9 untill i see absolute SOLID proof, once bitten twice shy.

Thankyou for the comments.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
It's funny how Android is seen as the "enemy" but yet there's two projects that allow you to run Android apps on MeeGo.
Unfortunately Android compatibility is rapidly becoming a "necessary evil" for any platform that doesn't already have a bazillion apps in it's app store.

It may well harm (ie. slow) development of native apps on non-Android platforms that include an Android compatibility layer, but at least it would allow new and currently app-limited platforms to survive, perhaps even flourish to the point where a compatibility layer is no longer so important.

I'd much rather have an Android compatibility layer on MeeGo, than not have it and ultimately, not have MeeGo either.

As it is, the business model for OpenMobile (and also Myriad) is to focus on OEMs, which in the case of the N9 means Nokia, so I doubt we'll be seeing any Android support on the N9 in future as this would not only make the N9 hugely popular by eliminating it's biggest (perceived) weakness, but it would also massively undermine the Nokia/Microsoft WP7 effort.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Milhouse For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
This is all fine and well and talked about many times already... now, when will it be available for purchase?
Never seen this mob being talked about, when were they talked about?
Not sure exactly when, sounded fairly soon, haven't looked more closely into it.

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Later than sooner...
Wait...
It's funny how Android is seen as the "enemy" but yet there's two projects that allow you to run Android apps on MeeGo.
I don't think most of us see Android as the "enemy", most of us just want Harmattan & MeeGo proper to get a break.
No doubt we all agree a stronger MeeGo that's more akin to Android in ubiquity, would be a very positive development.
At this point it's very hard to see that happening, ever...

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-09-22 at 08:18.

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
Unfortunately Android compatibility is rapidly becoming a "necessary evil" for any platform that doesn't already have a bazillion apps in it's app store.
It may well harm (ie. slow) development of native apps on non-Android platforms that include an Android compatibility layer, but at least it would allow new and currently app-limited platforms to survive, perhaps even flourish to the point where a compatibility layer is no longer so important.
I'd much rather have an Android compatibility layer on MeeGo, than not have it and ultimately, not have MeeGo either.
Mostly my reasoning too....

As it is, the business model for OpenMobile (and also Myriad) is to focus on OEMs, which in the case of the N9 means Nokia, so I doubt we'll be seeing any Android support on the N9 in future as this would not only make the N9 hugely popular by eliminating it's biggest (perceived) weakness, but it would also massively undermine the Nokia/Microsoft WP7 effort.
Really, is it exactly the same?
I haven't looked closely into their plans yet.

At least they've clearly stated they're working on bringing it to Harmattan.
I don't recall Myriad ever saying that publicly?

They did also say in response to Qns in that story I linked to.
That licensing directly to end-users was still under consideration.

I don't get why these guys are still trying to get Nokia to buy into it, it's clear they won't with WP on the horizon.
Why not adopt an end-user model & at least then be guaranteed of some user-base, rather than zilch.

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-09-22 at 08:50.

I have heard the prices in UAE to be from 2200 aed to 2400 aed. 2200 aed is about $600 usd. So the 16gb version shud cost that. Its expected to be available for purchase in the second week of oct.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Really, is it exactly the same?
I haven't looked closely into their plans yet.

At least they've clearly stated they're working on bringing it to Harmattan.
I don't recall Myriad ever saying that publicly?
I created a thread on meego.com to which Nachi Junankar, the Chairman and co-founder of OpenMobile replied. In his replies he makes it clear that OpenMobile are targeting OEMs only, that dealing with Nokia with respect to the N9 could be a problem, as could resourcing (I assume here he means developers porting ACL to MeeGo 1.2 Harmattan - what they have demonstrated so far is ACL running on MeeGo, when of course we all know the N9 is not running MeeGo!)

As for Myriad, I've read (shortly after the N9 launched) that they could only deal with device manufacturers as Alien Dalvik would not easily install as an end-user application. This may or may not be the case, but when you consider the problems surrounding Android and it's questionable legality it's unlikely that any small development company wants to have to deal with Oracle etc. right now. So they either pass on the liability to OEMs, or they don't ship a product.

Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
They did also say in response to Qns in that story I linked to.
That licensing directly to end-users was still under consideration.

I don't get why these guys are still trying to get Nokia to buy into it, it's clear they won't with WP on the horizon.
Assuming the delays and OEM posturing are entirely due to the legalities of shipping Android code, then licensing directly to end-users may happen if the court case is settled entirely in Googles favour (probably unlikely).

Or OpenMobile find a way to ship their product without directly distributing Android source code (sort of like kernel objects/binary blobs that aren't included in a Linux distribution, but can be downloaded and installed by the end-user with a single button click - obviously any equivalent method would be non trivial for OpenMobile).

If Google do lose the court case, and subsequently clean up their code base so that it can be downloaded and used without threat of legal action, it may be too late for MeeGo and several other niche platforms.

OpenMobile can't wait too long and need to strike while the iron is hot - getting their product on to MeeGo-proper will be great and all, but the real benefit for them and us will be getting it on to the N9 as like it or not the N9 is the only thing keeping MeeGo relevant right now, which is ironic given the N9 has little to actually do with MeeGo!

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Milhouse For This Useful Post:
Posts: 819 | Thanked: 806 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Oxnard, Ca.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aironeous For This Useful Post:

Tags
disapoint, eflop, epic win!, laggy interface, n9 rox, so much win, wateriswet, who cares, whyyyyy??????