Posts: 387 | Thanked: 566 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Dublin
http://translate.google.com/translat...-1.485238.html

This was posted earlier but what i noticed is they have down the bottom right on page 3:

Others:
Run Java applications

I'm just wondering if thats just google translate messing up javascript or if it can run java applications? anyone able to read original untranslated version and see? i didn't see anything about java applications on the developer information for the N9 or a mention of it having the java license(forgive my ignorance on this but isn't there a special license needed for mobile java, hence not available on the n900)

Last edited by smegheadz; 2011-09-23 at 11:05. Reason: typo

Posts: 196 | Thanked: 224 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Africa
Originally Posted by Lindegaard View Post
because of Windows 8, the ecosystem, MS Office 2012/365, xbox live ect - need more reasons?
Microsoft ported Office apps to Qt, for Belle. Wouldn't a good return on that investment be build them for Harmattan?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to buchanmilne For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 706 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on May 2010
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
You like to constantly bring-up that old chestnut don't you.

Is that how you make all your decisions in life.
By how popular something is in the mass media?
Good luck with that working out for you...

It is rather irritating how it's not going to India, given how well it supposedly trending there.
And yet it's going to China, despite how poorly it's trending there compared to the iP5.

I sense a bit of defensiveness in your statements. The trends show that there is no sustained rise as you see for iphone 5....hence likelihood that this will sell well is low. It has nothing to do with decisions I may or may not make. I know that you are disappointed that your Meego babe is not getting a good traction. Given my problems with NOKiA software in the past, I would like to see who slept with N9 for more than just few minutes, and how well it really performs. Its for NOKIA to regain customer trust. People vote with their dollars.

Posts: 49 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cape Town
I played around a bit with the N9 at the Cape Town launch last night and I have mixed feelings about this phone. Don't think I'll be getting one though. It is a beautiful device, it was very responsive and the camera was fast. Click to take a picture and it's immediately ready to take another. I took 5 or 6 shots one after the other and there was no delay in between at all. The swipe UI was a bit confusing at first, it felt like something was missing but it didn't take long for me to get the hang of it. It works well. Personally though, I still prefer having multiple desktops onto which I can put shortcuts and widgets (the N9 swipe is supposed to be an improvement on that 'flawed' design, apparently). The real deciding factor for me though is the lack of a physical keyboard. I understand the N9 is designed to be used easily with one hand (and it is) but I couldn't type a single line with the virtual keyboard, without making mistakes. To be fair, it's probably something you get used to, and I'm used to the N900 keyboard, but I found the keyboard on the N9 cramped and hard to use. If all you're ever going to type is tweets, sms texts and facebook status updates, it may be ok. The NFC with the 360 speaker worked well, I was suitably impressed! I'll hang on to my N900 for now though.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to joelus For This Useful Post:
@buchanmilne

I see nothing that states it's in Qt.

Originally Posted by buchanmilne View Post
Microsoft ported Office apps to Qt, for Belle. Wouldn't a good return on that investment be build them for Harmattan?
OTOH, why should we use MS Office on Harmattan? Calligra Office suite (spin-off from KOffice) is integrated in Harmattan.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to marrat For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 706 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on May 2010
Originally Posted by joelus View Post
I played around a bit with the N9 at the Cape Town launch last night and I have mixed feelings about this phone. Don't think I'll be getting one though. It is a beautiful device, it was very responsive and the camera was fast. Click to take a picture and it's immediately ready to take another. I took 5 or 6 shots one after the other and there was no delay in between at all. The swipe UI was a bit confusing at first, it felt like something was missing but it didn't take long for me to get the hang of it. It works well. Personally though, I still prefer having multiple desktops onto which I can put shortcuts and widgets (the N9 swipe is supposed to be an improvement on that 'flawed' design, apparently). The real deciding factor for me though is the lack of a physical keyboard. I understand the N9 is designed to be used easily with one hand (and it is) but I couldn't type a single line with the virtual keyboard, without making mistakes. To be fair, it's probably something you get used to, and I'm used to the N900 keyboard, but I found the keyboard on the N9 cramped and hard to use. If all you're ever going to type is tweets, sms texts and facebook status updates, it may be ok. The NFC with the 360 speaker worked well, I was suitably impressed! I'll hang on to my N900 for now though.
thanks for your comments. I am afraid that N9 VKB is not as good as iphone. That is a deal breaker for me

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by buchanmilne View Post
office peace f ****! use latex

Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
The Microsoft jail:

FOSS guard: 'Psst. Hey MS prisoner. I can help you get out of jail. I have the keys to your cell. Would you like them?'

MS prisoner: 'Nah. I'm OK thanks. I don't mind doing as I'm told, just as long as Steve Ballmer is generous enough to give me bread and water. Besides, all my friends and colleagues are MS prisoners, and I wouldn't have any way of dealing with them if I were to leave.'

My website

GitHub

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by BigBadGuber! View Post
I sense a bit of defensiveness in your statements. The trends show that there is no sustained rise as you see for iphone 5....hence likelihood that this will sell well is low. It has nothing to do with decisions I may or may not make. I know that you are disappointed that your Meego babe is not getting a good traction. Given my problems with NOKiA software in the past, I would like to see who slept with N9 for more than just few minutes, and how well it really performs. Its for NOKIA to regain customer trust. People vote with their dollars.
No defensiveness at all, just amusement with your constant attempts to get attention.
I buy products on how well I perceive their overall value to be.
I cannot determine that until I can give them a thorough test run.
I don't base how good they'll be on opinion polls, unlike you...
As for "people vote with their dollars", that's a flawed argument if I've ever heard one.

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-09-23 at 13:02.

Tags
disapoint, eflop, epic win!, laggy interface, n9 rox, so much win, wateriswet, who cares, whyyyyy??????