Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by joelus View Post
I played around a bit with the N9 at the Cape Town launch last night and I have mixed feelings about this phone. Don't think I'll be getting one though. It is a beautiful device, it was very responsive and the camera was fast. Click to take a picture and it's immediately ready to take another. I took 5 or 6 shots one after the other and there was no delay in between at all. The swipe UI was a bit confusing at first, it felt like something was missing but it didn't take long for me to get the hang of it. It works well. Personally though, I still prefer having multiple desktops onto which I can put shortcuts and widgets (the N9 swipe is supposed to be an improvement on that 'flawed' design, apparently). The real deciding factor for me though is the lack of a physical keyboard. I understand the N9 is designed to be used easily with one hand (and it is) but I couldn't type a single line with the virtual keyboard, without making mistakes. To be fair, it's probably something you get used to, and I'm used to the N900 keyboard, but I found the keyboard on the N9 cramped and hard to use. If all you're ever going to type is tweets, sms texts and facebook status updates, it may be ok. The NFC with the 360 speaker worked well, I was suitably impressed! I'll hang on to my N900 for now though.
Very interesting to read your post and i feel many will think the same as you once they get there hands on the N9.

You know it is thanks to people like jalyst that have hyped this device up that much that people are convinced it is the best thing since bread.

MANY people are going to be dissapointed with this N9 i tell you and i am waiting for all the fun to start when they all getting them one by one and reporting back on here hahahahaha.

Thankyou for your HONEST opinion of your trial with the N9.

Posts: 196 | Thanked: 224 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Africa
Originally Posted by Reffyyyy View Post
@buchanmilne

I see nothing that states it's in Qt.
But, it does here.

"Our new CEO has extremely high confidence in this and the reason is that Microsoft is writing Office on Symbian with Qt. Stephen Elop had about 400 engineers developing on Qt, so he came into the job with a very positive and practical experience on using Qt. And I think that's made a big difference as to how far we're prepared to jump."

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to buchanmilne For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by momcilo View Post
No, but glad to see somebody noticed it.

It is related to the qgil's article: The four wheels spinning MeeGo 1.2 Harmattan

This may be a red pill.

Apparently AEGIS is the fifth wheel nobody from Nokia bothered to advertise to community.

The one that is:
  • unnecessary
  • unprovoked
  • undesired

I've started the following thread because of curiosity and mild concern.

But once the Harmattan Beta 2 release, the concern is getting stronger.

"there is no spoon."

The key question is:
What will be the final security policy (including the bootloader, kernel, and the rest of it) on N9?
Still very much an open question as far as I can tell.
Final chapters, tragic or sunny, are yet to be written.

Originally Posted by marxian View Post
The Microsoft jail:

FOSS guard: 'Psst. Hey MS prisoner. I can help you get out of jail. I have the keys to your cell. Would you like them?'

MS prisoner: 'Nah. I'm OK thanks. I don't mind doing as I'm told, just as long as Steve Ballmer is generous enough to give me bread and water. Besides, all my friends and colleagues are MS prisoners, and I wouldn't have any way of dealing with them if I were to leave.'
HAHAHA very GOOD i laughed sooo much at this.

I never ever had any problems at all hacking anything to do with microsoft and i honestly think that WP will be as hackable as hell when it gets out so there is THAT side to it that i am sure that many will already know.

Prison? what prison

Originally Posted by momcilo View Post
No, but glad to see somebody noticed it.

It is related to the qgil's article: The four wheels spinning MeeGo 1.2 Harmattan

This may be a red pill.

Apparently AEGIS is the fifth wheel nobody from Nokia bothered to advertise to community.

The one that is:
  • unnecessary
  • unprovoked
  • undesired

I've started the following thread because of curiosity and mild concern.

But once the Harmattan Beta 2 release, the concern is getting stronger.

"there is no spoon."

The key question is:
What will be the final security policy (including the bootloader, kernel, and the rest of it) on N9?
Do you honestly think it will be open???????? and yes many question marks and for good reason too !.

Originally Posted by BigBadGuber! View Post
thanks for your comments. I am afraid that N9 VKB is not as good as iphone. That is a deal breaker for me
LOL you already got smashed with this argument long ago.
You have no credibility...

How about actually having one in your hands to compare to iP4 before making such absolute statements.
Not that it'd make a difference to your opinion, iPhone would still win out, even if the N9's VKB was better.

Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Aegis is like that door in Raiders of The Lost Ark. It only goes in one direction. The closing of the door has been triggered, and there's no opening it again. You're locked in, and there's a big stone ball with Eflop's face engraved on it that's ready to squash you. The only hope is that one of the bright community devs can find a whip at the last minute.

My website

GitHub

Last edited by marxian; 2011-09-23 at 13:00.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
You know it is thanks to people like jalyst that have hyped this device up that much that people are convinced it is the best thing since bread.
LOL okay... WTF are you smoking!?
I've only countered ********...
I'm not interested in hyping anything.
Amazing powers of hypocrisy right there.
At least I try to add something of value sometimes.
All you ever do is spout crap that makes no sense.

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
HAHAHA very GOOD i laughed sooo much at this.

I never ever had any problems at all hacking anything to do with microsoft and i honestly think that WP will be as hackable as hell when it gets out so there is THAT side to it that i am sure that many will already know.

Prison? what prison
You fail at comprehension, once again.

Your only understanding of "hacking" is that it involves adding invaluable thought bubbles in epic threads.
It ends right about there....

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-09-23 at 13:04.

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by marxian View Post
Aegis is like that door in Raiders of The Lost Ark. It only goes in one direction. The closing of the door has been triggered, and there's no opening it again. You're locked in, and there's a big stone ball with Eflop's face engraved on it that's ready to squash you. The only hope is that one of the bright community devs can find a whip at the last minute.
Trying you're very best to "fan that flame" I see, touche`

Tags
disapoint, eflop, epic win!, laggy interface, n9 rox, so much win, wateriswet, who cares, whyyyyy??????