Active Topics

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by NokiaN9KickYourAss View Post
I don't know Qt but from what I've seen so far I'm not impressed and a bit confused. I can't really see the upside with it?
ALOT of news in Qt5. Also BB10 and Ubuntu using Qt5 means less problem port apps between them.

Also Qt5.1 just got beta release and that one is even better multiplatform QML theme based controls/"widgets" also for desktop:

http://blog.qt.digia.com/blog/2013/0...es-in-qt-quick

so in case of Qt the future is bright. **** Android SDK and eclipse hell.

The Following User Says Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by Morpog View Post
Comments by Sfietkonstantin about that slides: http://sfietkonstantin.wordpress.com...s-on-jolla-ui/
If that's 100% correct, then based on this exchange, it's very good news:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...85#post1345385

I doubt Qt5x support is for the version of Sailfish that's being used on the 1st Jolla device.
But if it is... then they really do deserve a "slow clap"...

Originally Posted by NokiaN9KickYourAss View Post
I don't know Qt but from what I've seen so far I'm not impressed and a bit confused. I can't really see the upside with it?
How can you be unimpressed if you don't even know or understand what it is?
Anyone who's had a bit to do with the maemo/meego community over the past 2yrs+ (user or dev) usually has a pretty solid understanding.

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-06-26 at 18:01. Reason: typo

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
If that's 100% correct, then based on this exchange, it's very good news:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...85#post1345385

I doubt Qt5x support is for the version of Sailfish that's being used on the 1st Jolla device.
But if it is... then they really do deserve a "slow clap"...

How can you be unimpressed if you don't even know or understand what it is?
Anyone who's had a bit to do with the maemo/meego community over the past 2yrs+ (user or dev) usually has a pretty solid understanding.
Sounds like you need to learn to pay attention a bit more...
QtQuick 2.0 is not avaible on 4.8 it was introduced in Qt5.0. And in the slides they import QtQuick 2.0 my guess is they soon will release a new alpha SDK... I really hope before summer end.

So why not ship Qt5 on first device? Were not talking about Nokia with plenty of bureaucracy. Actually it would hurt as to not have Qt5. QtDeclarative engine is rewritten in QtQuick 2.0 to be fully OpenGL.

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2013-06-26 at 17:27.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
I fully agree on this. If somebody wants to run android applications, let them get an androd device to run the software on. Cheapest android phones&tablets start from $50.
The merits of Jolla are elsewhere, android compability is just a nice add-on.
maybe you haven't used an Android device recently?
the number of apps, even though completely excessive still offers functionalities that are simply not available on any Maemo device & probably never will on Sailfish neither

it would be stupid from Jolla not to include Alien Dalvik, as it may allow them to attract Android users that have found apps & been using them for years.
if they can export the data (possible in many apps) move it to the Jolla device and re-import it there in the same app, that might help getting "casual" users.
get out of your FOSS (ivory) tower.

The Following User Says Thank You to misterc For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by misterc View Post
the number of apps, even though completely excessive still offers functionalities that are simply not available on any Maemo device & probably never will on Sailfish neither
Out of interest, and for the benefit of the people in Jolla/Mer and app developers, could you enumerate the top 5 or 10 apps that you believe make an Android device unique?
I haven't used Android except for briefly interacting with friends's devices, and I couldn't find anything that is absolutely useful, so I'm curious...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ggabriel For This Useful Post:
One of the best android apps are simply the support they've been given- jawbone, parrot ar, smar****ches, fitness devices, and others.

The Following User Says Thank You to Akkumaru For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by ggabriel View Post
Out of interest, and for the benefit of the people in Jolla/Mer and app developers, could you enumerate the top 5 or 10 apps that you believe make an Android device unique?
I haven't used Android except for briefly interacting with friends's devices, and I couldn't find anything that is absolutely useful, so I'm curious...
The app options of is excellent. But it's individual, so you can't pinpoint just a few. But to me androids killer features are:
-Flash still woks extremely well even if abandoned.
-The ease and options for GUI customizations are superior. So many pacs, themes and launchers .
-the screen sizes.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb

it would be stupid from Jolla not to include Alien Dalvik, as it may allow them to attract Android users that have found apps & been using them for years.
if they can export the data (possible in many apps) move it to the Jolla device and re-import it there in the same app, that might help getting "casual" users.
well, if those apps would work as expected. But we already know from BB that they don't. So what do you thik it would be the reaction from android turnover when he realizes that his favorite apps from android doesn't work as expected even if the jolla was advertized as "compatible"? He will switch back to android and never look back.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Well, android is not my cup of tea, but my son has nexus7 that I maintain (as I have not let him create a google account) so I do know pretty well what jellybean looks&feels like.
Granted, he uses it mainly as gaming platform, and there are plenty of that stuff available on droid. However I do not play games, really.
Other than games, well I do not really see anything useful there on droidland.

I don't think so... basically the same reason others have stated here. If the integration is not perfect then it will rather upset the casual user more than strengthen resolve to switch to Sailfish.
As for data, that's completely different. I fully support that applicatin data (and not the applications) should be exportable/compatible/open formats.

I am verrrry happy in my tower, thanks for asking

Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
Originally Posted by RX-51 View Post
About hardware Jolla will have to compete with - here are the cheap ones coming: http://www.engadget.com/2013/06/23/g...arphone-leaks/
yup mtk is the boss on affordable department damm spd mstar and rdx should be sent to grave.

Tags
"pretty soon", funniest line, jolla, pipo party, sailfish, tmo red