Active Topics

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
The headphone jack and the usb placing is rather annoying with Landscape mode. Basically if you charging the device and listening to the music at the same time while texting someone then its totally a mission. My battery is nearly 12hours long now. To be precise its 9hours and its down to 35% with my extreme usage. lol. Wifi, checking emails, text messaging none stop, play some videos, some music, some game, take some video and pictures (a few) constantly learning how to use it.

It's doing pretty well I guess. This is my first charge by the way.

There are a couple of things that are still sub-standard compared to my N800, particularly that I haven't yet found a way to completely replace how I use fit-to-width mode with the OS2007 Opera browser (the N900 browser is good for gmail in browser, double-tapping when reading a message, but the only way I've found to read slashdot/palm is to temporarily increase the font size).

But other than that -- I like the N900 more and more, as I find how to do stuff, and getting the right apps installed (eagerly waiting for the upcoming Nagios application). It's way better than I thought it would be. I basically got one so I could still hang around here and be of some use (can't repackage stuff for Maemo 5 if you've only got an N800! ). And as I don't have any battery issues either it's all great.

What I'm missing most at the moment is email, which I simply can't use at the moment because the current version can't download headers only. No email is the major missing point. I read private mail via gmail, but I need to read work mail too, which needs imap and a better mail client than what's currently available. When that one gets fixed I'm close to 100% -- Maemo mapper is next in the waitlist, but I always have my N800 for that anyway.

Happy camper here!

Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
I haven't yet found a way to completely replace how I use fit-to-width mode with the OS2007 Opera browser (the N900 browser is good for gmail in browser, double-tapping when reading a message, but the only way I've found to read slashdot/palm is to temporarily increase the font size
Hit Ctrl+Shift+i to get the browser to reflow the text. A button or context menu item for this would be much easier though.
Agro ... : |#---------] Relic(s) : N900, MacBookPro, NSLU2, N800, SheevaPlug, Eee-901, Core2-Quad, PS3
"In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they're not."
--
Beware of extras-devel.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fnordianslip For This Useful Post:
Posts: 589 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ london
i love it to pieces..

i have an iphone, and the usability on the go with the nokia (sitting in traffic etc)- isnt close to the iphone..

i have spent hours trying to fix the reboot problem- but its done now -

i have installed the vgba emulator- and that took me ages as well. the feeling when the code started running down the sreen was great..

i am enjoying this machine, its nice to actually learn about stuff,

in a wierd way i am glad that i had problems(emulators wnet from the app manager, power reboot problems)- as i feel as though i have accomplished something..(still feel abit conned mind!)

i am gonna start playing about with linux because of this phone- so all is good,

things i love

the open source os
the geeky side of the phone
the media player and the fm transmitor
the phone/skype intergration
the im/text intergration
the screen is gourgous- not missing the capactive screen at all- its also nice to have a really precise creen for apps that need it(htc hd2's problem- a reason why i sent it back and got this phone)
the customisation of the home screens
the community
the phone feels solid
the full browser

things i dont like
as a phone not great- but adequate
feel abit conned (and have had to buy another battery)- by doing the reboot fix costs me a power save mode.
more apps needed(esp games)
emu's not running perfect yet
would love to get my work email pushed to my phone.
gps software could be better- although its as usable as the iphone's
needs a dedictaed iplayer(as it cant handle the full browser one)

Originally Posted by fnordianslip View Post
Hit Ctrl+Shift+i to get the browser to reflow the text. A button or context menu item for this would be much easier though.
Thanks! That worked. Now when I zoom it reflows.

But it's the most tricky key combo I've tried yet.. I just don't have the fingers for it. Button or config for this would indeed be much better.

Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
Thanks! That worked. Now when I zoom it reflows.

But it's the most tricky key combo I've tried yet.. I just don't have the fingers for it. Button or config for this would indeed be much better.
I had high hopes for fit.text.to.screen=true in about:config, but it didn't work for me. I even tried rebooting
Agro ... : |#---------] Relic(s) : N900, MacBookPro, NSLU2, N800, SheevaPlug, Eee-901, Core2-Quad, PS3
"In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they're not."
--
Beware of extras-devel.

Sadly enough i cant dig much into the "geek" part of the phone, but i got mine today, and i'm SO happy =D.

It took some time getting used to having to put abit more force when i press, most likely still will. But yeah, i love it to bits =D
and it's working just fine, no problems so far xD

I will be getting my n900 on Saturday and had just one quick question.

I text more than I talk, so was wondering what is the easiest way to get to sms on the N900? I'm use to my E71 where I type a contact name and the contact appears along with the options of calling, texting, etc...

If I place a contact shortcut onto my homescreen, can I set it to do either automatically call or text pending on the contact once pressed? Or does it give me a list of options once I press the icon?

Thanks guys!

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
Originally Posted by Frank29 View Post
I will be getting my n900 on Saturday and had just one quick question.

I text more than I talk, so was wondering what is the easiest way to get to sms on the N900? I'm use to my E71 where I type a contact name and the contact appears along with the options of calling, texting, etc...

If I place a contact shortcut onto my homescreen, can I set it to do either automatically call or text pending on the contact once pressed? Or does it give me a list of options once I press the icon?

Thanks guys!
Click on the multi task virtual button, If you have a text message waiting for you then you should see it there. Else create a short cut on the screen. tab on an empty space area on the screen, the configuration setting will appear at the top. Click on the task bar then add short cut to Conversation.

Done! tha'ts what I did. I add the short cuts to my home screens. Do not put too many on your main home screen. Else it will slow you down when you start up the device.

Lol take a look at my first owner impression
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to maxximuscool For This Useful Post:
Posts: 78 | Thanked: 31 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Hafnia
Just got mine, and overall very nice product, better put together than feared, feels better than my N97, even though I like the slider mechanism better from the N97.

Just sync 1608 songs with WMP11, impressed with the speed, with my N97 it just took ages, but now done in very short time.

Keyboard is very good, better than on N810, but I still like the one on N97 better, not for the feal but for the d-pad, and really miss long press for sybols/numbers, strange they removed that feature since it was on the N810.

Anyway just happy with my new companion, nice to get a speed boost from the sometimes choppy N97, and a real WEB2.0 browser in the pocket, man this thing rocks!

Tags
first impressions, fremantle, impressions, initial impressions, maemo, maemo 5, moderator, n900, out of box, out of box experience, please merge, review, shiny