Active Topics

Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by roger_27 View Post
leaks will be slower than final, because test versions are compiled for debugging. there is still alot of cleaup both in code and in packaging before it goes out for real.

Believe me, I'm a software developer.
good point. So now I'll try to get that leaked version, just to have access to the debugging versions of some closed Nokia pieces. Might come in handy later, when the real version needs some investigations

cheers
jOERG

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Dr. Peter Venkman: "Back off, man. I'm a scientist."
YoDude: "Don't hassle me I'm local."

As roger_27 implied and joerg_rw outright said:

Snagging this for possible future back doors is about its only value to folks like us. No single thing in PR 1.2 is so bad as to compel me to switch to something that could negatively affect the performance of a lot of things that are tweaked now in PR 1.2 and that I rely on every day.

Things like FM transmitter and some kernel mods, not to mention some newer QT apps I'm beginning to enjoy.

Hopefully, just as what happened when PR 1.2 was leaked, there is enough info in this leak so that some of the tweaks can be updated and ready for us when the real deal drops.

SLN member # 009

Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
So, some Chinese dude uploaded some random firmware and claims that it is Pr 1.3... and you believe him...

Even worse... how can you guys flash something coming from a random untrusted site on the net to your phones?

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Venemo For This Useful Post:
Does anyone have idea regarding the voice navigation on ovi maps in the update.. i guess that is also quite important update and should be included in the firmware...
plz help guys.. or i will have to purchase sygic maps..

Last edited by abhi.17oct; 2010-10-21 at 00:17.

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
Originally Posted by Venemo View Post
So, some Chinese dude uploaded some random firmware and claims that it is Pr 1.3... and you believe him...

Even worse... how can you guys flash something coming from a random untrusted site on the net to your phones?
That's why you monitor there conversation (google translator) and wait for someone else to try before you do and confirm that he is safe lol. It's the same thing as someone cracking software on their computer, or downloading .exe files from some site then installing it on their PC, little does he knows how safe the file could be, or what harm could be done to his computer and his privacy. Still he insist and try it out anyway.

That's just human nature, we are one risky race on this planet. Everyone is a gambler at some point right

There is a risk but risk is worth taken if you don't try it out then you wouldn't know. The chinese dude is either a Nokia employee in China branch or he could be a friend of one of the China testers branch.

Last edited by maxximuscool; 2010-10-21 at 01:02.

anyone else having trouble installing Sygic maps with this "leaked" firmware? i am getting unable to install.

Originally Posted by Venemo View Post

flasher which we use to flash our firmware do some tests before flashing our phone so it's not like we will be flashing some junk file to our phones. So we can install it and do some tests and get a look at features.

at max a chinese dude may put some virus on our phone to steal your information but when u flash you phone freshly then what will be there to steal????

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
Originally Posted by Viny View Post
anyone else having trouble installing Sygic maps with this "leaked" firmware? i am getting unable to install.
Nop, why don't you install it from Nokia OVi store?

Originally Posted by vickyg View Post
flasher which we use to flash our firmware do some tests before flashing our phone so it's not like we will be flashing some junk file to our phones. So we can install it and do some tests and get a look at features.

at max a chinese dude may put some virus on our phone to steal your information but when u flash you phone freshly then what will be there to steal????
True that. But remember that flashing OS is only just OS. The Opt and eMMC are still untouch. Unless flashing eMMC as well

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by woody14619 View Post
Those people would be using the term bricked incorrectly then.
yes they have, as have about everyone at itt/tmo as long as I've been there/here....
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

The Following User Says Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:

Tags
chuck norris, firmware, pr1.3