Active Topics

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by godofwar424 View Post
How does that make it vapourware?

Because it took them a year to produce something decent?

Seriously?? You realise most Operating systems are in the work for several years before they are even Release Candidate ready..

Time doesnt make it vapourware, vapourware is stuff that never goes anywhere, not stuff that takes awhile to be made..
Tick-tock! Meanwhile, Android--the very operating system this aspires to maintain compatibility with--evolves and these jokers have to play catch-up yet again and can claim it'll take them some MORE time to catch up. THAT's what he's pointing out. This isn't a whole operating system--it sits on TOP of one and supposedly provides compatibility with system calls. If it's not already ready to be used after such a big promotion, it's not unreasonable to think that it might end up being vaporware or at least irrelevant by the time it finally "releases." You could argue that Duke Nukem Forever isn't vaporware, but it might as well be. Tick-tock.

Originally Posted by kyllerbuzcut View Post
It's the same with hardware buttons. The trend is to have less and less. No, give me more you idiot manufacturers.
I still lament the omission of D-pad and functional buttons on the face of the unit the way my N800 did. Feh!
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
yet another reason go android device then. i dont see why you people want too stay with n9 if there is "no qt apps" and want android apps instead?? are those Android existing phone so bad?
I don't see why you keep saying that we're better off with an Android device. I also don't see why you keep babbling about how you can't understand why people want to stick with the N9. You've been saying this for quite some time now, and it's becoming very obvious that you are either trolling or just plain stupid.

Did it ever occur to you that people don't just look at the apps, when purchasing a new phone? Maybe they like how it looks. Maybe they like the camera. Maybe they like the price point when the opportunity to buy one presented itself to them. Brand loyalty? Customer experience when they needed to have their phones fixed? Or maybe they bought the N9 waaaaaaay back when before Elop announced they are switching to Windows Phone, and these same people don't want to buy a new phone, just because Elop is going in a different direction? There are so many factors, not just apps.

In all honesty, if you keep this narrow, and unbelievably ridiculous mindset of yours, you will never understand why other people still stick with their N9s. You will just keep asking and asking and asking and you won't understand it. Ever.

It's better to have "AN OPTION" (aka a choice whether to boot into MeeGo or Android), rather than have "NO OPTION" at all.

How'd that feel bro?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lifeintheblitz For This Useful Post:
As someone who now owns a "flagship" Android phone (SGS3) and an N9, I can say I would very much like to have Android apps on my N9 and also that there are many advantages of an N9 over Android, the most important of which is that MeeGo is a real linux. I was completely floored when I went to the command line in Android and discovered how many basic linux commands are absent.

Not only that, MeeGo is roughly a million times less cluttered than android's OS...things like having a squircle for bluetooth or plane mode or a clock/weather and notifications on the screen without waking it, etc. just make MeeGo a much nicer OS IMHO.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mize For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Mize View Post
As someone who now owns a "flagship" Android phone (SGS3) and an N9, I can say I would very much like to have Android apps on my N9 and also that there are many advantages of an N9 over Android, the most important of which is that MeeGo is a real linux. I was completely floored when I went to the command line in Android and discovered how many basic linux commands are absent.

Not only that, MeeGo is roughly a million times less cluttered than android's OS...things like having a squircle for bluetooth or plane mode or a clock/weather and notifications on the screen without waking it, etc. just make MeeGo a much nicer OS IMHO.
I would as well, but this would be slower if it works, shell in shell on linux we are talking about. And as danramos pointed out, different versions, late releases, always chasing, this does not look realistic, but would be nice in theory.

Did this thread get merged with the one about ACL? The topic should be changed, because I was all happy thinking "Cool, new excellent news?!?! What could it be?" but then saw that it was the same topic that I had posted on about them specifying that they were planning specifically to support Harmattan.

I would suggest the topic be changed to "Android Compatibility layer for Harmattan?! Awesome!"

Even when I read "ACL for MeeGo" on the other thread, I was thinking it meant Access Control Lists. Curse being an administrator sometimes... well most days. But at least I'm a Linux System Administrator instead of a Windows one. I think I'd even go (more) insane if that were the case..

slaapliedje

The Following User Says Thank You to slaapliedje For This Useful Post:
Truth to be told, with or without the apps, I can still live with my N9. It has those essential functions you need. I know what I signed up to the moment I bought my N9 on the first day, no updates, no future. Still, I am willing to get it, will you do the same to your android/iPhone? Will you get an android ICS or gingerbread that cannot be upgraded? Perhaps an iPhone that promises no updates in the future?
Perhaps not, that's why you can't understand the charm of a wonderful phone.

The Following User Says Thank You to JethroSang For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Mize View Post
I was completely floored when I went to the command line in Android and discovered how many basic linux commands are absent.
The rest of your criticism seems more hardware related than Android related but... It's your lucky day, then! Good thing I'm here!

BusyBox is here to save the day!
http://play.google.com/store/apps/de...ricson.busybox

or, if you prefer a more full and proper Debian install...
http://guardianproject.info/2011/06/...an-on-android/

You're welcome!

Originally Posted by JethroSang View Post
Truth to be told, with or without the apps, I can still live with my N9. It has those essential functions you need.
That's nice... I guess? But then why are you telling us this here in this thread? It seems utterly uninteresting. I might also add that it has about as much relevance as someone popping in to comment that, truth be told, they can still live with the old flip-phone they bought in 1999 that makes phone calls just fine because THAT is the essential function you need. Thanks for volunteering your prescription to Luddism, however. We'll keep that in mind whenever we see you around.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
yet another reason go android device then. i dont see why you people want too stay with n9 if there is "no qt apps" and want android apps instead?? are those Android existing phone so bad?
simple for me yes, I can't stand using Android, any UX. While it's generally a good phone I still don't like the multitasking, home button and back button. I prefer the N9s UX, is that so bad really? I mean if ACL ever happened, I'd only want a handful of apps at best, and they include the random trendy app

somebody said they have nothing to show for it? Well theres a demo of it running on a Meego Core. Yeah they might still not release it, but isn't it better than nothing?

Moderator | Posts: 3,716 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
I've just mailed Openmobile ACL about releasing this for Harmattan.
Seems like they also have something for consumers
Check this out:
http://openmobileww.com/tv.php

Waiting for their reply!

Posts: 138 | Thanked: 152 times | Joined on Jun 2012 @ Switzerland/Zurich
Originally Posted by HtheB View Post
I've just mailed Openmobile ACL about releasing this for Harmattan (...)

Waiting for their reply!
I've emailed them more than a week ago with the same questions but I haven't got an answer still - hopefully you'll be more successful

Tags
android clones, clone_wars, hope...