Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 485 | Thanked: 708 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Galiza
Version 1.3.7 of Hydra Widget Platform PRO (for paid users) is avaliable for download. FirefoxOS Marketplace support is included in this version.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hariainm For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Hariainm View Post
Version 1.3.7 of Hydra Widget Platform PRO (for paid users) is avaliable for download. FirefoxOS Marketplace support is included in this version.
Yep, it's finally available! (No thanks to people working for Nokia Store who weirdly denied my app 3 times at the intake QA due to their own incompetency...).

Let me know how you like it. There are still a few known issues, such as:
-The marketplace web app crashes and shows a graphical glitch (crash outside my code..)
-APIs for fetching info about installed Mozilla web apps are only dummy implementations so that the Marketplace for example cannot access info about installed apps
-Updates are not yet supported for packaged apps
-HTML5 cache is not yet supported, which means all hosted apps need to be used online

I'll try to address the three last bullets in the next version(s). The crashing issue while nasty, is not really on my turf.

Schedule for next version is totally open at the moment. I have a really really busy spring so development is done quite slowly if at all (sadly). I'm investigating possibilities to open sourcing the app, but that also takes up quite some time, which I don't have at the moment. It would be cool if I could get other developers to assist me with this, since this stopped being a 'small and simple' app quite long ago and it's still growing

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to sviox For This Useful Post:
Is there any way to run applications marked as "only in FirefoxOS"?
HERE Maps is in Marketplace but can't download it.

Posts: 343 | Thanked: 819 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Paris, France
I could not install HERE Maps as well (available only for Firefox OS) nor Pulse (API error story).

Another remark: the icon which is created is taking the Hydra icon but not the app itself so you end up with plenty of Hydra icons...

Thanks anyway, great work !

Originally Posted by P@t View Post
I could not install HERE Maps as well (available only for Firefox OS) nor Pulse (API error story).

Another remark: the icon which is created is taking the Hydra icon but not the app itself so you end up with plenty of Hydra icons...

Thanks anyway, great work !
Damn Mozilla. They have done some changes to the browser/device detection. I currently have HERE Maps (1.8.55) installed (17.3.2013) on my device but if I now open the Marketplace, it indeed says that "Only available on Firefox OS". The source codes for Marketplace are available at https://github.com/mozilla/zamboni if you want to help me find what they have changed

Hydra should always try to download any icons defined for the Mozilla app installed and use the closest match (based on size) in launcher and manager UI. Are you saying you can't see icons (besides the hydra default one) for any apps? For example, try installing Twitter and let me know if you see an icon (you should).

The Following User Says Thank You to sviox For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sviox View Post
Damn Mozilla. They have done some changes to the browser/device detection. I currently have HERE Maps (1.8.55) installed (17.3.2013) on my device but if I now open the Marketplace, it indeed says that "Only available on Firefox OS". The source codes for Marketplace are available at https://github.com/mozilla/zamboni if you want to help me find what they have changed

Hydra should always try to download any icons defined for the Mozilla app installed and use the closest match (based on size) in launcher and manager UI. Are you saying you can't see icons (besides the hydra default one) for any apps? For example, try installing Twitter and let me know if you see an icon (you should).
Icons work at least for me, what doesn't have the proper icon is the Marketplace shortcut. Not important at all to me. Do you know the URL scheme for downloading the widgets? like https://marketplace.firefox.com/app/...aged/*****.wgt

Originally Posted by Hariainm View Post
Icons work at least for me, what doesn't have the proper icon is the Marketplace shortcut. Not important at all to me. Do you know the URL scheme for downloading the widgets? like https://marketplace.firefox.com/app/...aged/*****.wgt
Getting the URL of a packaged app using a browser is easy. Just use a browser that supports an 'element inspector' feature, such as Chrome. Just point on the 'free' button, right click and select 'Inspect element'. Then expand the element to find a button element inside it, and look for an attribute such as:

data-manifest_url="https://marketplace.firefox.com/app/7eccfd71-2765-458d-983f-078580b46a11/manifest.webapp"

You need to download this 'manifest file' and open it in a text editor. The URL to the package is given in a "package_path" field such as the one below:

"package_path": "https://marketplace.firefox.com/downloads/file/201674/here-maps-packaged-1.8.58.zip"

The Following User Says Thank You to sviox For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sviox View Post
After many hours of feeling 'WTF' trying to read the source codes that were not familiar to me, I had a miniature 'Eureka!' moment. It seems that the Marketplace did some changes to prevent packaged apps from being allowed to install in Android's version of Firefox's runtime. Now this shouldn't prevent MeeGo users if you ask me...

So why did it not work?
1. I used User Agent that was made Hydra be detected as an Android device (shame on me!)
2. QtWebkit used by Hydra does not support window.matchMedia() JavaScript function used for CSS media queries (and the Marketplace uses this to check if your using a mobile device, and this condition is for some reason partially used to detect Firefox OS too...)

I changed the UA string and implemented the matchMedia() function to return correct values - and guess what? We're back in business with packaged apps!

Now if I only had the time to finalize this version and publish it... Anyhow, it's coming, sooner or later.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sviox For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 3,716 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
any updates yet for the new version?

The Following User Says Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by HtheB View Post
any updates yet for the new version?
I'm working on it. ETA 1-3 weeks, depending largely on Nokia Store intake speed.

Initial changelog for 1.3.8:
* Implemented support for update discovery and installation for packaged Firefox OS web apps
* Implemented window.matchMedia() to support Marketplace browser detection of mobile device
* Fixed Firefox OS Marketplace widget to use UA string not detected as an Android device
* Fixed trying to install newer versions of packaged Firefox OS web apps saying it's already installed
* Fixed widget details page to show it's header text with same color as other pages do
* Fixed update description document ETags to support broader character set via base64 encoding
* Fixed installing packaged Firefox OS web app from Marketplace when temp directrory does not exist

Besides finalizing the above, I'm also looking into implementing:
* Support for Mozilla API to query installed web app details
* Support for data URI icons

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to sviox For This Useful Post: