Active Topics

I've found on another thread a post of yours, and i think i've missed The installation of the scratchbox on the VM.

Trying this now..

I'll keep you up to date of my progress...

Thanks

Originally Posted by john_doe252 View Post
I've found on another thread a post of yours, and i think i've missed The installation of the scratchbox on the VM.

Trying this now..

I'll keep you up to date of my progress...

Thanks
There was a desktop version of the VM image with scratchbox installed but it has gone
If you have problems with obexd, try to use the latest released version tagged as 0.28.
Maybe you want to have a look here:
http://meego.gitorious.org/maemo-bluetooth
There are "-packaging" repositories that have all the switches you want to have for the maemo plattform.

Hello hschmitt,

What can be the cause of this?

Also i want to mention that the steps I've done are:

after repository cloning -> bootstrap-configure -> make

Can you please tell me if I'm on the right path?
Also if you are kind, could you guide me a little on the deployment of the openobex specially and obexd to the N900 Maemo OS, please? Obexd i think i can deploy prety easy by moving the "obexd" file to the location "/usr/lib/obex/".

If you are kind enough to provide me with your help i can test this in my car and if it works I'll write a guide for everyone here.

Thanks a lot in advance.

My regards,
I think you are on the right way.
To activate a new obexd you can just call " killall obexd" on your phone and then "/path_to_your_obexd/obexd --nodaemon --opp --ftp --pcsuite --pbap --debug"
for testing it is better to do it that way, because with a reboot you have the original version working again.
I do not know, what are the steps for deploying openobex lib. Maybe someone else can jump in?

Posts: 20 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Landstuhl, Germany
I am an Audi driver as well (using an '09 RNS-E head unit). I tested obexd with the file Ossman posted a while back (http://forums.internettablettalk.com...6&postcount=30). Below is the output of obexd's debug.

Code:
New connection from: 00:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX, channel 15
FindAdapter(0C:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX)
FindAdapter -> /org/bluez/1055/hci0
RequestAuthorization(00:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX, 10009)
RequestAuthorization succeeded
REQHINT(0x1), CONNECT(0x0), (null)(0x0)
REQ(0x2), CONNECT(0x0), (null)(0x0)
Version: 0x10. Flags: 0x00 OBEX packet length: 2660
Resizing stream chunks to 2460
Selected driver: Phonebook Access server
REQDONE(0x3), CONNECT(0x0), (null)(0x0)
REQHINT(0x1), GET(0x3), (null)(0x0)
REQ(0x2), GET(0x3), (null)(0x0)
OBEX_HDR_NAME: telecom/och.vcf
OBEX_HDR_TYPE: x-bt/phonebook
query_result: pbap query returned str-size=269851 contacts=45, missed=0

STREAMEMPTY(0x8), CONNECT(0x0), (null)(0x0)
obex_write_stream: name=telecom/och.vcf type=x-bt/phonebook tx_mtu=2460 file=0x31ed8
obex_write_stream: name=telecom/och.vcf type=x-bt/phonebook tx_mtu=2460 file=0x31ed8
PROGRESS(0x0), GET(0x3), (null)(0x0)
ABORT(0x7), (null)(0x10), (null)(0x7f)
REQHINT(0x1), ABORT(0x7f), (null)(0x0)
ABORT(0x7), (null)(0x51), (null)(0x7f)
REQHINT(0x1), DISCONNECT(0x1), (null)(0x0)
REQ(0x2), DISCONNECT(0x1), (null)(0x0)
REQDONE(0x3), DISCONNECT(0x1), (null)(0x0)
obex_handle_input: poll event HUP ERR
Interestingly, one number in my phone book ended up on the "Dialed Numbers" list on the head unit (it's the fourth number in the phone book). I know for a fact that there's no way I dialed that number... And it's the only one that showed up.

I am 100% new to troubleshooting Bluetooth, so I have no idea what happened above - but I'll figure it out and hopefully contribute to the "PBAP cause".

I will post my hcidump later.

Drew

Hello Drew,

I've tested that obexd myself, but did not get any result with it. My car is a BMW 2005 with 2008 iDrive software update.

Did you also update the openobex? the n900 has 1.4 version by default, and hschmitt says that there are some bugs fixed in 1.5.

I'm currently looking a way to compile/package/deploy the openobex 1.5 to my n900.

Hschmitt,

I've installed the scratchbox - and looked at the openobex-packaging repository also...

I'm trying to figure out how to compile for the arm architecture, i saw a tool in the scratchbox - "sb-menu", but i'm still trying to figure out how to use it.

I found that openobex-packaging repository you told me about, is useful for packaging the deb file.

Please forgive my questions, i'm a technical guy, but i mainly work on enterprise architectures, and my linux knowledge is based entirely on Redhat distributions (working on redhat since i think 1996 or 1997), so i'm not quite used with the debian tools.

Thanks a lot for your help...

I drive for work and I need my N900 to be able to synchronize its contacts information with my bluetooth car kit.

I'm willing to pay 100€ for this. Not a joke. Can any developer help me? Any user willing to donate for this?

Did you also update the openobex? the n900 has 1.4 version by default, and hschmitt says that there are some bugs fixed in 1.5.

I'm currently looking a way to compile/package/deploy the openobex 1.5 to my n900.
John,

I did, in fact, update openobex by building from the git source in scratchbox and packaging it up as a deb (see attached). Whether its working or not, I have no idea. I'm not even sure how to test it. I did the same with the latest obexd (also attached). Keep in mind that these are straight from git to the compiler to the phone...no changes have been made. And I haven't tested making calls or receiving calls. The only thing that I know is working is sending files to the device. Please understand that using these on an important phone is a very bad idea.

After updating using these deb's, I am getting different results. Whereas before the one number made it to the wrong list, nothing makes it now. However, there is a plus. After the number made it with the older version, PBAP stopped working all together (the head unit stopped allowing the push of a certain button in the car). Now, even though nothing makes it across, the profile stays active and the car reports that there are no entries.

Finally, also attached is an hcidump that was run after I updated everything. It's interesting that the phone doesn't report the PBAP profile until after I invoke it on the head unit...anyway, I haven't done anything with it today, so no updates.

Drew
Attached Files
File Type: deb openobex_1.5-1_armel.deb (45.9 KB, 108 views)
File Type: deb obexd_0.28-1_armel.deb (87.0 KB, 95 views)
File Type: txt bt1.txt (9.3 KB, 313 views)

Hello Drew,

Thanks for your involvement,
During the time from my last post, i've managed to install and configure the scratchbox as it should.

With the files in openobex-packaging repository i've managed to compile and assemble the openobex1.5. Everything was good till here, only that i cannot install the .deb file i have with the Application Manager from my N900.
I've tried also your package (which i saw that it was debianized by you, and not using the openobex-packaging files), and the same result -> I get at the Problems Tab -> a message "Unable to install "libopenobex1". Incompatible application package.

My package was built with the ARMEL target.

Any ideas why this is not working for me?

Related to your story, when you have built the obexd - did you use the ./bootstrap-configure --with-phonebook=ebook ?

Thanks,

John,

To install the .deb you need to run "dpkg -i whatever_package.deb" as root in the terminal on the phone.

Next, I wasn't sure if I had run the configure script with that switch, so I went ahead and built from scratch again. Now the head unit just sits there saying "Please Wait" instead of reporting "No Entries".

Now, a couple of things need to be mentioned here... First off, openobex1.5 needs to be installed on both the phone and in scratchbox. The reason it needs to be installed in scratchbox is because a lot of obexd's .c files call openobex's headers. If you are running an old openobex in scratchbox, the obexd files will compile with the old headers. Secondly, if you want already packaged debs of openobex, you can search the Debian package index for unstable versions. There are pre-built ARMEL debs there (http://packages.debian.org/search?ke...ll&section=all). I suggest using these packages for both your phone and scratchbox. After that you can rebuild obexd.

Finally, be aware that the new obexd packages automatically install to /usr/libexec rather than /usr/lib/obexd. If you are using the .debs, you will be fine because they automatically update /usr/share/d-bus1/services/obexd.service and /usr/share/d-bus1/services/obex-client.service. However, the obexd.service file is missing the --pbap switch, so you need to change it manually after installing. From that point on, if you make any changes to the obexd source, after running "make" just copy the obexd binary from the "src" directory from where you are building over to /usr/libexec. Or as hschmitt has said in the past, run it directly from the terminal to test it out.

Drew

The Following User Says Thank You to drdrewusaf For This Useful Post:
All,

SUCCESS! My head unit received my entire phonebook this evening. I will explain all of my steps in a moment, but first I will explain current issues/problems.

First, all of the other directories (placed, missed, and incoming calls) are incorrect and are showing the same exact list of numbers. The list it is showing seems to be random. More investigation is required. Second, bluetooth file transmission seems to be broken...it fails almost immediately after selecting the device to send to. In my case, this is a computer running Ubuntu 10.04 x64. I will test this with Win7 x64 later. Third, I opted to NOT use the "--pc-suite" switch (I don't use PC Suite via BT). I'm not sure what effect, if any, it would have.

On to the good stuff! One last thing before we start, I DID NOT EDIT ANYTHING, EVERYTHING THAT IS USED FROM HERE OUT WAS BUILT FROM PRE-EXISTING SOURCE. Here is my step-by-step to success using PBAP (I'm pretty sure this won't work for you SyncML guys, but it's worth a shot?):

1) Download the following .debs and copy them to your phone:
Openobex 1.5-2 libraries: http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool....5-2_armel.deb
Openobex 1.5-2 apps: http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool....5-2_armel.deb
Attached obexd: http://forums.internettablettalk.com...1&d=1278357528

2) Open a root terminal and navigate to the folder you saved the .debs in (where "/path/to/files" is the real path to your downloaded files:
Code:
cd /path/to/files
3) Install the packages. As root run:
Code:
dpkg -i libopenobex1_1.5-2_armel.deb openobex-apps_1.5-2_armel.deb obexd_0.28-0maemo3_armel.deb
4) Reboot, and test. REPORT ALL FINDINGS, this is a group effort, any and all info is good info!!!

To build your own obexd and obex-client, follow these steps:

1) Start Scratchbox, go into the ARMEL target if not already there.

2) Install the .debs from step 1 above. Then, download and install the following .deb:
Openobex 1.5-2 developer library: http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool....5-2_armel.deb

3) Get the latest obexd source from git:
Code:
[sbox-FREMANTLE_ARMEL: ~] >  git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/bluetooth/obexd.git
4) When git is done cloning, change directory into obexd
Code:
[sbox-FREMANTLE_ARMEL: ~] >  cd obexd
5) Auto-configure for your system:
Code:
[sbox-FREMANTLE_ARMEL: ~/obexd] >  ./bootstrap-configure --with-phonebook=ebook
6) Compile!
Code:
[sbox-FREMANTLE_ARMEL: ~/obexd] >  make
7) Copy the obexd and obex-client binaries from the src and client folders respectively, to /usr/libexec/ on your phone.

Questions and comments are welcome, but, again, I didn't do anything special here. It looks as if the experimental/unstable code is working properly (for the most part) right out of the box.

Please, everyone who uses these instructions, report back with your findings!!

If for any reason you want to go back to the original packages (i.e. something you need is broken) you can downgrade both openobex and obexd to their original states, by running the following commands as root:
Code:
apt-get install libopenobex1=1.4-0maemo3+0m5
apt-get install obexd=0.18-0maemo5+0m5
Drew
Attached Files
File Type: txt obex-client.service.txt (72 Bytes, 163 views)
File Type: deb obexd_0.28-0maemo3_armel.deb (94.3 KB, 796 views)

Last edited by drdrewusaf; 2010-07-12 at 17:08.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to drdrewusaf For This Useful Post: