Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
Ah nuts and here I thought I was finished with asking my 18 septendecillion questions.

So anyway, does anyone have a vertical XKBD keyboard that could cover the entire left side of the screen or something even close to that?

I was thinking this would be a nice setting for us poor folk who don't have none of them fancy blue teeth keyboards and can't run Dosbox in full screen.

Here is my idea beautifully drawn out in perfect detail.

Please don't make fun of this drawing, it took me over 5 hours to make it look this good.

Yeah, that's right. This is my baseline talent level.

Posts: 1,107 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Germany
You can make any rectangular shape of xkbd you want just by editing the .xkbd files.

A different form/shape doesn't fix the fullscreen xkbd problem though - I have no clue how to fix.

Working on a dosbox launcher now... ETA unknown.

A different form/shape doesn't fix the fullscreen xkbd problem though
Agreed.

But with having the keyboard on the left side, you'll have almost 3 times the free surface area than if you had it on the bottom.

It was just a thought.

I guess that's why I was kind of hoping to see if anyone had a customized XKBD setting that came close to matching this idea therefore I could tweak it a little.

Okay. I'll go away now.

Originally Posted by mkstevo View Post
I thought I downloaded Bochs from the main Bochs site , though I could be wrong there . I have a copy of the install should you want it .

I was trying DosBox on my 770 , with the ( factory installed ) 2006 s/w , the version of DosBox was 0.6xx , the version prior to your most recent release ( sorry I can't be more specific I don't have it loaded any more ) .

I eventually did get DosBox to load my .conf file , this was a slightly modified version of your example provided with the install , altered to provide the required M: drive that the Psion emulator needs in order to run correctly . As I said , launching it was rather hit and miss - with more miss than hit . It may well be my Linux ignorance that caused my problems , I'll be happy to admit that my knowledge of Linux is no more than 0.1%...of nothing !
mkstevo;

Have you compiled Bochs for the N8x0 yet if so can you post it somewhere would save me some time as I was going to try and do it today....

Originally Posted by Smothermunchie View Post
But with having the keyboard on the left side, you'll have almost 3 times the free surface area than if you had it on the bottom.
Having it on a side probably would help in terms of more free space, if it could be made configurable that would be sweet.

For right handed people it should probably be on the right hand side, vice-versa for left handed. Otherwise they will obscure the screen with their own hands :-)

Okay, I just finished my first customized, sidebar keyboard.

Even though the start up isn't at all what one would consider to be friendly, I thought to post here anyway and perhaps receive some feedback.

Pros:
Nice, neutral size appearance
Doesn't overlap the minimized window

Cons:
Can only exit from keyboard, there's no way to minimize and then resize it again
Less keys supported
Not that great if you're right handed
-It's perfect if you're one of those ignorant, left handed folks

So here's how I use it on my Nokia

Start up Dosbox from toolbar
Exit the default keyboard to remove it from the screen (you won't be needing it anymore)
Open up X-Term from toolbar
Maximize the window so X-Term is in full-screen mode.
At the prompt type

xkbd -geometry -1-1 -k /media/mmc2/x.xkbd
(The negative coordinates is not a typo)

Finally, resize X-term and then minimize it so that Dosbox shows back up.

Yikes. That's quite a load to get it going, but I thought I would at least make mention on how I've been using this and to see what you guys think about it.

Here's a screenshot:
Name:  X.jpg
Views: 1074
Size:  26.7 KB

The file is attached at the end of this post. Notice that in the X-Term command above, the x.xkbd file was copied into the internal memory card (mmc2).

Just a few questions to end this post.
ArnimS, can you think of a reason why ADOM 1.1.1 for DOS won't run under Dosbox?
Download site is here:
http://www.adom.de/adom/download.php3

Also, will your T.O.M.E. port work with a minimized screen?
I would love to check it out, but I'm nervous about copying all those files to the internal memory and not knowing if it will work without it being in full screen mode.

Finally, did you ever hear back from Dawnmist?

Okay guys. I'm off to get a little bubbly with a 12 pack of Bud.
I'll check back later this weekend to see if there's any feedback.

Cheers.

x.zip

The Following User Says Thank You to Addison For This Useful Post:
adom is running: not sure exactly what did the trick, but here's what i idd

first i changed dosbox.conf machine type from "tandy" to "vga" then i increased memory from 8 to 16 MB (not sure if that's important)

then i deleted the process file from the crashed adom

rm adom/ADOM_DAT/ADOM.PRC

then I mounted the adom directory to c:

mount c: /media/mmc1/games/dos/adom

then c:
adom

and it runs fine

i suspect the problem was the machinetype = tandy - it probably expects a vga/ega adapter for the text

I also use a high frameskip to prevent dosbox from trying to redraw the screen too often.

cheers

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ArnimS For This Useful Post:
Awesomeness!

Thank you so much for looking into ADOM for me.

Joy!

Real quick, here's my settings for Dosbox.conf
frameskip=0
cyclespeed=888
nosound=true
pcspeaker=false

I haven't changed anything else.

Are these numbers close to what you have?

Also, in almost of the text adventures that I'm running in Dosbox, I keep having issues with the key repeating itself.

For me to only take one step in the game, I have to briefly tap the onscreen XKBD key faster than 1/10th of a second. Be quick like ninja.

Is there any way to reduce or remove a held key repeating itself so fast with either an XKBD or Dosbox option?

Thanks again for your help with ADOM. I'm going to apply your suggestions right now.

Originally Posted by Smothermunchie View Post
Awesomeness!

frameskip=0
Is there any way to reduce or remove a held key repeating itself so fast with either an XKBD or Dosbox option?
For ADOM (or other games without lots of animation) I use

frameskip=4

Never run frameskip 0. At that speed, dosbox is trying to update the screen 60 timems per second, and that's impossible on a N800. All kinds of things will lag and bork at frameskip 0.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ArnimS For This Useful Post:
Oof, sorry for falling off the thread there Smother. I ran into the whole 'n800 frozen at white nokia screen' problem and wound up having to reflash the device a couple times. That made me a little reluctant to sink more time into further experimenting with dosbox.

ArnimS: any thoughts on an OS2008 port and/or the mouse/stylus problem?