Active Topics

Posts: 2,021 | Thanked: 1,060 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Hong Kong
Any spy inside in? lol

The Following User Says Thank You to TMavica For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ibrakalifa View Post
for sure, but i answering my previous comment, so your comment absolutely obsolete, but yes i couldn't agree more
I think the word you're actually looking for is irrelevant not "absolutely obsolete". Actually maybe not, but definitely not obsolete.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nh1402 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
I just say this north european politics are idiots when they get russian even more angry by even more military exercise with **** NATO.
There's the other side of the coin - there wouldn't be any need to increase defense capabilities against Russia if it didn't first show aggression by threats and massing forces on it's borders, launching wars against its neighbors, illegally annexing (or creating puppet states) its neighbors territory and actively trying to subvert western countries. Not reacting would only be seen as sign of weakness and that they can continue unhindered. Last thing North Europeans want is to be forced under russian control/subversion once again. One cold war experience was quite enough and that's far higher priority than doing business, so things have to change quite much before "business as usual" can return. Don't know how much all of it affects Sailfish development, but personally I do have reservations about possible kremlin influence.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to JulmaHerra For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by TMavica View Post
Any spy inside in? lol
Interesting how everybody thinks russian phone should come with a backdoor. Nobody ever have ever seen a russian phone/whatever with backdoor, but is sure that it will be there. Propaganda works

PS And I'm not even saying that ios/android devices phone home on US servers since their start and most people accept it as a proper thing
PPS Just a note, no need for holy war.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lantern For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by lantern View Post
Nobody ever have ever seen a russian phone/whatever with backdoor
O, sancta simplicitas!

Mind you, living in the UK, I would rather be spied on by the Russian government than my own (or American, which is pretty much the same thing).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 435 | Thanked: 684 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Netherlands 020
This phone could be the successor of Lenovo K3 Note.

The Following User Says Thank You to jellyroll For This Useful Post:
Posts: 752 | Thanked: 2,808 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by lantern View Post
Interesting how everybody thinks russian phone should come with a backdoor. Nobody ever have ever seen a russian phone/whatever with backdoor, but is sure that it will be there. Propaganda works

PS And I'm not even saying that ios/android devices phone home on US servers since their start and most people accept it as a proper thing
PPS Just a note, no need for holy war.
Yeah, right... How many russian phones do you know? To me, only YotaPhone is known (even though it was recently sold abroad, IIRC), but this statement is relevant to the whole russian market:

“The FSB will have access [to users’ information]. We don’t have the right to sell phones on the market in any other way – otherwise, the devices could be used by terrorists, criminals,” said Chemezov.
Sure, the statement has since been dismissed as a "poorly translated and taken out of context", but the genie is out of the bottle. What other reaction would anyone expect after revealing such info...

Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Mind you, living in the UK, I would rather be spied on by the Russian government than my own (or American, which is pretty much the same thing).
You are definitely entitled to this opinion; I have it the other way around. I am always astonished by such claims, but I am glad they exist - it is always good to push your government to better privacy protection - on the other hand, people should really read up on the history of the pre-1989 Eastern block and appreciate how lucky they are they didn't (or don't) live there. Being aware of the history of my country, I would definitely be rather spied on by US government than the Russian one. Of course, the history of the Iron Curtain is not very known in the UK or in the US (it is not even broadly known or taught in schools in my country), so the misconceptions are understandable, however, people should be reminded once in a while (hence my post).

EDIT: I'm not trying to say only russian phones are likely to have backdoors - there are other likely contestants (and even more likely contestants). But with any system that contains closed components (SailfishOS included), there is always a chance, even if it hasn't been found yet. And when you do have a backdoor, it's also relevant how and by whom it might be used.

Last edited by nodevel; 2016-06-07 at 14:10.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to nodevel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nodevel View Post
Yeah, right... How many russian phones do you know? To me, only YotaPhone is known (even though it was recently sold abroad, IIRC)
So, did anybody found anything in YotaPhone? Right, nobody did.

About Chemezov - it's politics. He has to say anything supporting the almighty KGB myth.

The Following User Says Thank You to lantern For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
Yeah, right... How many russian phones do you know? To me, only YotaPhone is known (even though it was recently sold abroad, IIRC), but this statement is relevant for the whole russian market:

Sure, the statement has since been dismissed as a "poorly translated and taken out of context", but the genie is out of the bottle. What other reaction would anyone expect after revealing such info...

You are definitely entitled to this opinion; I have it the other way around. I am always astonished by such claims, but I am glad they exist - it is always good to push your government to better privacy protection - on the other hand, people should really read up on the history of the pre-1989 Eastern block and appreciate how lucky they are they didn't (or don't) live there. Being aware of the history of my country, I would definitely be rather spied on by US government than the Russian one. Of course, the history of the Iron Curtain is not very known in the UK or in the US (it is not even broadly known or taught in schools in my country), so the misconceptions are understandable, however, people should be reminded once in a while (hence my post).
I would suggest to not use the phone at all then:
1)NSA we know for sure they have all the access.
2)Multiple HW backdoors found in phones, chips.
3)Parts of Sailfish are closed - thus there might be access to info you do want anyone to access.
4)As we understand there are android based drivers and android parts in OS, they are closed source and we all here do not trust android, but for some reason no one questioned Jolla

Basically want I wanted to say is that it's known for all countries and many manufactures and still as you see certain country name - it has more concerns to you - which is weird.

Moreover there are more talking about Sailfish OS based russin phones than there are actual phones. basically we are just discussing something that probably will never be out.

Last edited by ZogG; 2016-06-07 at 12:25. Reason: typo

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ZogG For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
on the other hand, people should really read up on the history of the pre-1989 Eastern block and appreciate how lucky they are they didn't (or don't) live there. Being aware of the history of my country, I would definitely be rather spied on by US government than the Russian one.
You might like to know that you and I were born in the same country. Provided that you were born before 1993, but based on your comment I assume you were. And yes, I have a very good recollection of the life under the Soviet rule.

I still maintain that being spied on by the government that has no control over me is a lesser evil than being spied on by the government that controls every aspect of my life.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post: