Posts: 282 | Thanked: 69 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Penniless Park, Fla.
Originally Posted by bac522 View Post
There is no logic behind their move. They don't look at the IT market as being viable to the core segment of their business, thus they don't care if they upset their current customer base. Then and even now I suspect the IT is nothing more then a test product to see if there are options that they can eventually incorporate into their cell phones such as using a Linux as a based OS or incorporating VoWLAN or VoIP with cellular voice. I wouldn't be surprised one bit if the N810 was the last of its product line. It clearly doesn't contribute much to the product line since, other then for a one sentence line, there wasn't any further mention in their financials as being a major contributor or significant product for the company; eventually someone at the top will kill the product off.
+1

- that's my feeling as well... compared to the number of phones people buy, the IT line *has* to be small 'taters in Nokia's lineup, and at the whim of a corporate nod could go away at any time...

- but i also understand the angst, anguish, and disappointment echoed in the posts in this thread... ask US Sharp Zaurus SL-5500 owners how they feel (most of us went to OpenZaurus right after purchasing and opening the box of our units to augment and fix the 'official' software)... and btw, the Zaurus is *still* being actively supported by its community...

- we're all experienced consumers here, aren't we? it just makes sense to:

1. research all purchases (read all you can)

2. never buy version 1.0 (expect revisions and updates)

3. expect no support from the manufacturer after purchase (what if maemo.org goes away tomorrow?)

In several years, the non-maemo.org repositories will become *very* important to all of us! we need some *mirrors*!

4. expect to be more productive if it runs Linux (craft your own tools)

5. expect to be able to fix *some* of your own problems if it runs Linux ("Use the Source, Luke")

6. not expect open-source developments to 'scratch your itch' (free, but not free beer)

7. be amazed that a US$200 device can do so much!

- JMHO

Last edited by linux_author; 2008-01-24 at 18:03.

is the zaurus community more active because you can have you own os?
why doesn't the 770 community build a new os from the ground up?

forgive my ignorance, as i am not one of the holy linux speakers as seen elsewhere on this forum

Posts: 5 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Brooklyn,NYC
Originally Posted by sleepkyng View Post
is the zaurus community more active because you can have you own os?
why doesn't the 770 community build a new os from the ground up?

forgive my ignorance, as i am not one of the holy linux speakers as seen elsewhere on this forum
I am very much a newbie to Linux but there are so many Distros out there can we not install another I realize this has been thought of before and I assume its the hardware but is there not another Distro possibility? I am a N770 owner and sad, flash 9 would be fantastic.

Posts: 643 | Thanked: 628 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Seattle (or thereabouts)
You might recognize me as that crazy guy that wants to get Debian running on his N800. Well, I don't have a 770 so I have no way to test it, but there's no reason to think that the same thing won't be possible for the 770. Right now this is in the very early stages (I don't really want to call it beta yet), but I can currently boot Debian off an SD card, and get into X with the touchscreen working. Wifi and usb networking also work. On the TODO list is hardware buttons, power saving (some is working I think), and sound.

Why Debian? They have *recent* versions of libhildon1 and other core maemo stuff in their repositories and an active ARM EABI port. As time goes by, more maemo stuff will show up, I'm sure. I've already gotten a binary version of leafpad for chinook running on it with nothing but a tweak to it's dependencies.

Now, to make this work on the 770, I will need help! Just trying it and helping me troubleshoot it will go a long way towards getting the 770 supported. If no one helps, I don't think there will ever be a working, bootable version for the 770.

Links to Debian stuff:
thread: http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ghlight=debian
wiki page: http://www.internettablettalk.com/wi...p?title=Debian

(And here's a brain dump of other options for 770 owners: -OpenEmbedded has a system for building distros for embedded Linux systems. Poky Linux is built out of this.
-A Debian chroot will also get you some options...but it's kind of a waste when you only have 64MB of RAM.)

-John

The Following User Says Thank You to Johnx For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by bac522 View Post
I wouldn't be surprised one bit if the N810 was the last of its product line.
Eh. A few years ago some people thought that it would all end with the 770 because it wasn't a financial, corporate success.

We're end users, gotta think like end users. It's all right to speculate but in the end, who cares what Nokia's corporate board is thinking right now?

Last edited by Drewvt; 2008-02-06 at 12:38.

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Drewvt View Post
Eh. A few years ago some people thought that it would all end with the 770 because it wasn't a financial, corporate success.

We're end users, gotta think like end users. It's all right to speculate but in the end, who cares what Nokia's corporate board is thinking right now?
I also don't think that the N810 will be the end of the line. Nokia already announced the next tablet (even if it's only a N800 or N810 with WiMAX).
You should keep in mind that internet tablets are not an important market at the moment. But this will be rapidly evolving and Nokia is looking for some strong ground in the post-cellphone era. They are more and more evolving towards an internet company. I think the tablets are an important playground for them.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by Drewvt View Post
. . . and they turned out to be an overwhelming success for Nokia!

The ITs aren't going anywhere soon.

Posts: 98 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Knightdale, NC
Originally Posted by pycage View Post
I also don't think that the N810 will be the end of the line. Nokia already announced the next tablet (even if it's only a N800 or N810 with WiMAX).
You should keep in mind that internet tablets are not an important market at the moment. But this will be rapidly evolving and Nokia is looking for some strong ground in the post-cellphone era. They are more and more evolving towards an internet company. I think the tablets are an important playground for them.
Just speaking for myself, but if you plan on being successful, then you must sell to a broad base. I feel that Nokia is more concerned with fast money rather than long money. By releasing so many devices in such a short span while providing minimal support of the operation system they are basically flooding the market hoping you buy one of their devices, maybe two. This will get a lot of revenue, but if it continues more and more people will see through this practice and become disgruntled. Imagine if Apple kept releasing new Iphones instead of upgrading and supporting the current software - imagine the outcry. Well this is what Nokia is doing. Here we are with 3 different devices in 2 1/2 years, many differnt software versions, some work with some devices and not others. They are now going to release a 4th device soon - what will this device be compatable with? In my opinion I may one day buy an Ipod if they continue to show that they do stand behind their product, they do consider future growth of the product (if Nokia had considered future growth, we wouldn't have so many incompatable OS's out now). I do really like my device, but I feel that Nokia doesn't.

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Nokia is experimenting and following the well-known "release-early, release-often" policy. This includes throwing out new devices with experimental features (webcam, FM-radio, great speakers, light-sensor, GPS, keyboard, ...). But selling to a broad base can be counter-productive. If the products aren't mainstream-ready (we all know that they're not yet ), the mainstream people will remember to avoid the products.
Nokia sells the tablets to power users at the moment, and that's their current target audience for the tablets. Eventually there might also appear NITs in the E series (with PIM and all that stuff for enterprise users).

The Following User Says Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
Posts: 98 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Knightdale, NC
Pycage - Maybe you are right. I just wished that they made the first device powerful enough to handle future releases. Even if it meant a decrease in speed.