Posts: 367 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Brooklyn, NY
Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post
libwebkit requires libicu38, which can be found here:
http://repository.maemo.org/extras-d...emo1_armel.deb

Probably will work with libicu40 in Diablo's extras-devel. Didn't test it.

Btw, be warned that Tear still crashes a lot after some usage, so won't expect too much
Thanks

It seems that I can't type a short message to just say thanks.

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
There's a button for that under every post No need for typing

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 52 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Stockholm, Sweden
Got it working now I'm quite impressed with the speed! A quick apt-get for libicu solved my problems once the webkitpackage was updated. Thanks for this, looks very promising!

Posts: 480 | Thanked: 378 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Chicago-ish
Since I have a feeling I'll be using Tear instead of the default web browser once a few small improvements are made, I've started working on something for it: a task navigator plugin. Forget the one that launches the built-in browser... this one is all tear! Screenshot:

Bundyo: I'd like some help with this, just how the application was developed, no code needed :-P First off, it seems that launching tear again and again will only open one instance of it. Is there some way to externally open another WINDOW? I'd like to duplicate the "open new window" functionality as much as I can... Also, are the favicons for bookmarks saved anywhere? I couldn't find them, so I assume they aren't. Saving them somewhere would allow me to show them next to the title. Lastly, I can't figure out a way to open a bookmark! I tried tear (url), but it just seems to ignore the parameter. Could you add support for this method of launching? Or something else to allow me to do this?

I'm still working on this, don't have it launching anything yet, so it's still very proof-of-concept.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TrueJournals For This Useful Post:
Posts: 607 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Finland
Wow! great!

Posts: 607 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Finland
I installed libicu40... works with no problem. I'm not sure if the crashing problem is gone.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
hmm, i wonder if one could use dbus-switchboard to make tear take over the job of the built in browser (altho i love the scrolling system in the latest webkit build for it).

thats always been a issue with any replacement browser, it cant access any existing stockpile of bookmarks in a seamless fashion.

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by TrueJournals View Post
Since I have a feeling I'll be using Tear instead of the default web browser once a few small improvements are made, I've started working on something for it: a task navigator plugin. Forget the one that launches the built-in browser... this one is all tear! Screenshot:

Bundyo: I'd like some help with this, just how the application was developed, no code needed :-P First off, it seems that launching tear again and again will only open one instance of it. Is there some way to externally open another WINDOW? I'd like to duplicate the "open new window" functionality as much as I can... Also, are the favicons for bookmarks saved anywhere? I couldn't find them, so I assume they aren't. Saving them somewhere would allow me to show them next to the title. Lastly, I can't figure out a way to open a bookmark! I tried tear (url), but it just seems to ignore the parameter. Could you add support for this method of launching? Or something else to allow me to do this?

I'm still working on this, don't have it launching anything yet, so it's still very proof-of-concept.
Really nice plugin . i really should read those python & ruby books

i was able to launch tear twice from the same terminal fine. i think your problem is that you are launching from dbus and dbus only lets you launch a program once.

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Thanks TrueJournals. I'll try to implement the functionality you request, I just hope to have the time I can use all the help i can get.

We discussed with Ignacius about the bookmarks and decided that it will be best to use sqlite for that and have import/export for the xml format and the internal browser format. I'm not saving the favicons yet since the april WebKit didn't have a way to get them (and the current one maybe doesn't ), but external retrieval will be possible anyway. They will go in the sqlite3 db too as blobs.

Posts: 480 | Thanked: 378 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Chicago-ish
Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
Really nice plugin . i really should read those python & ruby books

i was able to launch tear twice from the same terminal fine. i think your problem is that you are launching from dbus and dbus only lets you launch a program once.
D'oh! Seems like you're right! The application task navigator plugin also seems to know something I don't... it won't let me open more than one copy, even though no dbus is involved. Perhaps it uses window manager class names... Anyway, this is written in python if you're wondering ;-)

I'm not saving the favicons yet since the april WebKit didn't have a way to get them (and the current one maybe doesn't ), but external retrieval will be possible anyway. They will go in the sqlite3 db too as blobs.
Sounds good! I'll look into getting those into the menu as soon as they're saved somewhere :-P You've done a great job with this browser. I'd rather see you take your time and get the features done right than done quickly.

On a side note, anyone know how the bookmarks plugin shows the neat two-line title and url thing? I'm not QUITE sure how to do it...

Last edited by TrueJournals; 2008-12-31 at 04:49.