Active Topics

Posts: 28 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Munising, MI
Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
run pb, then close menu

run filemanager, is it still broken?

I have it in the script to disable filemanager during certain operations, if you crash out, it could leave filemanager in a bad state, run pb again to fix it.

I will look for a better solution to this problem
Yup, that fixed it. FM was left in an bad state, and running pb, then hitting cancel, restored FM. Thanks

Ok, this is either a N00b report, or a bug report. You tell me.

I have a N800, with 43-7 update installed. I have had this trouble with no additional apps installed, and with everything you can imagine installed.

I start xterm, go full screen, then type pb
I hit the arrow to close the keyboard.
I use the D pad to drop down to cfdisk.
I hit "ok"
I select /dev/mmcblk0 and hit "ok"
I close the keyboard.
I use the D pad and onscreen keyboard to delete a partition.
I select write, and then I select quit.
I get a screen that says "Processing Filesystem Changes Please be patient!!!".
I terminate xterm after a solid 5 minutes of this message
This is how I was killing File Manager before.

I get the same ting if I use fdisk. I write the changes and exit, and I get a screen that says "Processing Filesystem Changes Please be patient!!!"

So, what do I do?

Posts: 111 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Singapore
ok #1
export PATH?=/root/.bin:$PATH
sh -x /root/.bin/new.sh 2>output

#2 Looking at the first line of the script, it appears you did not select a "source" drive for the clone. If you did something went wrong, I tested on my 800 but with old os, I am udating now. I think something you have installed might be the problem, but I am not sure yet.... Did it even prompt for a selection?

contents of output2:
+ umount /SRC
+ umount /TRG
+ sclone.sh
+ cat /tmp/choice.tmp
+ export SOURCE=
output (sh -x /root/.bin/new.sh 2>output):
+ export PATH=/root/.bin:/root/.bin:/home/user/apps:/usr/bin:/bin
+ parted /dev/mmcblk1 print devices
+ grep -v mtdblock
+ sed s/ /-/

It did prompt me for a source, but not for target. I have installed fuse and ntfs driver (to connect to usb hdd). Could that be a problem?

Last edited by pton; 2008-12-24 at 04:11.

Posts: 275 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Raleigh, NC
I'm getting the same result. I admit I'm in over my head, but I can't help but want to try to learn this.

Originally Posted by WorkingOnWise View Post
Ok, this is either a N00b report, or a bug report. You tell me.

I have a N800, with 43-7 update installed. I have had this trouble with no additional apps installed, and with everything you can imagine installed.

I start xterm, go full screen, then type pb
I hit the arrow to close the keyboard.
I use the D pad to drop down to cfdisk.
I hit "ok"
I select /dev/mmcblk0 and hit "ok"
I close the keyboard.
I use the D pad and onscreen keyboard to delete a partition.
I select write, and then I select quit.
I get a screen that says "Processing Filesystem Changes Please be patient!!!".
I terminate xterm after a solid 5 minutes of this message
This is how I was killing File Manager before.

I get the same ting if I use fdisk. I write the changes and exit, and I get a screen that says "Processing Filesystem Changes Please be patient!!!"

So, what do I do?

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
First of all I want to say thanks to everyone for being patient and helping me resolve these issues. Especially pton, you have been very helpful in providing output I can use to debug what went wrong.

[sbox-DIABLO_ARMEL: ~/MLKDE-3/console-tools/root/.bin] > cat *.sh | wc -l

When you write 4293 lines of code you get typos, I also end up making assumptions based on the output of my hardware which does not always match other peoples devices.

----------------------------------------------------------------

All I can say is bear with me and I will have a very useful tool you can use.

I have some updates, I added a new menu. pbeasy

pbeasy contains 4 options.

1) Partition, select a disk and partition it, the system will reboot

2) Clone, After you partition run this to clone flash to new partition you created. Bootmenu will be installed and system will reboot.

3)Upgrade, to the latest version of bootmenu (for future releases of bootmenu)

4)Bootmenu, This Just installs bootmenu, scans and puts all ext2/3 partitions in bootmenu

----------------------------------------------------------------

As for pb, I have made updates to it as well, please update to the latest version (1.7.8-7) and let me know how it goes.

This should fix the hanging while searching for new unformatted partitions.

Again thanks for all the help and patients, please keep your comments coming.

Links have been updated
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to penguinbait For This Useful Post:
Posts: 275 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Raleigh, NC
Success! If I can get it done anyone should. I did use gparted to partition instead. I look forward to learning more. Thanks!

The Following User Says Thank You to mfortner For This Useful Post:
ahhhhhhhhhhh......
So here I sit, happily tapping out this on my cloned, ext3, dual booting N800!
pbeasy is just the ticket! My tablet pc died tragiclly a few nights ago, brutally thrusting my N800 into the role of primary pc for a while. Now that it's cloned and has some breathing room, I'll be able to get some work done! Great things come out of your neck of the woods Mr. Penguinbait! Yourawesome. Thanks!

The Following User Says Thank You to WorkingOnWise For This Useful Post:
I would say retry install bootmenu, N/A means it doesn't see the cards probably something went wrong with bootmenu install, it did not copy the ext2/3 modules to the initfs, so it cant see the disk. (I am just guessing)
I would try install bootmenu again.
I had the "NA/dysfunctional bootmenu" issue after first try of cloning with pbeasy. After second try and restart I was greeted with a functioning bootmenu and could manually select the 1st SD partition for booting (but the default was booting from flash).

Also, the cloning process paused at 99% and before quitting complained something about /tmp/rval (missing?).

Trying to set new default boot device as SD afterwards using pb is also unsuccessful as the menu only displays one option (/dev/mtdblock4; jffs). Eventually it'd be nice to be able to set the default boot device as well, to save the occasional boot time fiddling with menus.

Anyways, it's a festive season here and now and booting from SD works! Thanks Penguin!

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by Peet View Post
I had the "NA/dysfunctional bootmenu" issue after first try of cloning with pbeasy. After second try and restart I was greeted with a functioning bootmenu and could manually select the 1st SD partition for booting (but the default was booting from flash).

Also, the cloning process paused at 99% and before quitting complained something about /tmp/rval (missing?).

Trying to set new default boot device as SD afterwards using pb is also unsuccessful as the menu only displays one option (/dev/mtdblock4; jffs). Eventually it'd be nice to be able to set the default boot device as well, to save the occasional boot time fiddling with menus.

Anyways, it's a festive season here and now and booting from SD works! Thanks Penguin!
It stays at 99% for a long time when cloning from flash because of the compression ratio of jffs2. If you clone sd to sd you it is more accurate. I will look into the rval error, I am confused why you are not seeing your disk in bootlist. Were you booted to flash or sd when you tried to set your bootmenu default. If you were booted to SD try to boot to flash and set it, let me know if you can see it in the list??

Thanks and Merry Christmas
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

I am confused why you are not seeing your disk in bootlist. Were you booted to flash or sd when you tried to set your bootmenu default. If you were booted to SD try to boot to flash and set it, let me know if you can see it in the list??
After first cloning run it finished fine but I rebooted into bootmenu with non-flash partitions "N/A". After second cloning run I got working boot menu with SD partitions available.

Then, booting (with manual boot time menu selection) to the newly cloned system on SD I tried setting the default (automatic) boot partition to SD but the only option in the pb's boot menu default-setting tool was "/dev/mtdblock4; jffs". i.e. there was no option to set the boot menu to default to booting from SD/ext3.

But it's no biggie since I can again boot from SD by selecting it at boot time.

Tags
bootmenu, bootmenu-installer, install-tools, mgmt-tools