Active Topics

Posts: 38 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Colombia
Originally Posted by FRZ View Post
If you are talking about the 2gb memory, and you should be, I had similar issue and what I had to is delete the whole card and repartition.
i did that twice, didnt work... had my external memory removed also.

moreover, i reflashed my n810 and tried again... no luck... what could i be doing wrong? im not that noobish, ive already had penguinbait's kde, debian and even nitdroid running.. but this is just not working for me

Posts: 367 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Brooklyn, NY
Originally Posted by [[ cold ]] View Post
i did that twice, didnt work... had my external memory removed also.

moreover, i reflashed my n810 and tried again... no luck... what could i be doing wrong? im not that noobish, ive already had penguinbait's kde, debian and even nitdroid running.. but this is just not working for me
What are you using for partitioning?

Originally Posted by FRZ View Post
Here is the reply about this from the bootmenu guy himself.
Thank you very very much!!!
I changed ITEM_DEVICE="mmcblk0p3" to ITEM_DEVICE="${INT_CARD}p3" and got ubuntu started.

I have new problems with wireless and keyboard/mouse now.
1. The wireless doesn't work. The menu of network manager says "device not managed"
2. Mouse is hard to use. My English is poor and I don't know how to describe it. For example, I use virtual keyboard to input "|" into the terminal, I click "Shift", and then "|", then lots of "|"s are inputted. And when I click the down arrow button of a scrollbar, it can scrolls to the bottom. Just like autofile button on a joystick.
3. The fn on the hardware keyboard of my n810 doesn't work. I have copied boottime.kmap.gz into /etc.

Last edited by danielking; 2009-03-28 at 07:25.

Originally Posted by TerroneX View Post
It acually made something, I'm now receiving an error:
"No servers were defined in the configuration file and XDMCP was disabled. This can only be a configuration error (well, my mistake I guess )... bla bla timed logins are disabled now"

I keep on pushin ok but I keep cycling on this forever...
I'm still not able to pass the login window with my N800. I tried with tablet-kdm-autologin and kde desktop, no way to auto-login without the keyboard becouse with kde I can at least fill the user name field, I blanked the pw in the shadow file (i left user: but still no joy! this login thing is driving me crazy

Posts: 607 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Finland
2. Mouse is hard to use. My English is poor and I don't know how to describe it. For example, I use virtual keyboard to input "|" into the terminal, I click "Shift", and then "|", then lots of "|"s are inputted. And when I click the down arrow button of a scrollbar, it can scrolls to the bottom. Just like autofile button on a joystick.

Yes, it looks like you have tslib installed from ubuntu repo.

The Mer version should help:
http://repository.mer.tspre.org/pool...mer7_armel.deb

3. The fn on the hardware keyboard of my n810 doesn't work. I have copied boottime.kmap.gz into /etc

Yes, Fn isn't working in Ubuntu..

But it can be fixed with Mer packages.
install evdev, hal, libhal1, xkb-data, etc.. from mer repo.

I have once gotten the Fn to work in ubuntu with Mer packages, but i'm not playing with ubuntu anymore.

I think ubuntu (with the full gnome) is just unusable and useless thing to have. Ubuntu-desktop and ubuntu-netbook-remix are just driving me crazy. I have never really gotten a fully working GNOME environment, never ever.

When i tried to start up gnome, gnome-panel mostly didn't even come up, and once it came, it crashed, the weird thing is that there was nothing unusual in .xsession-errorsv no more ubuntu for me

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to meizirkki For This Useful Post:
Posts: 253 | Thanked: 104 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Midwest, USA
Originally Posted by meizirkki View Post
I think ubuntu (with the full gnome) is just unusable and useless thing to have. Ubuntu-desktop and ubuntu-netbook-remix are just driving me crazy. I have never really gotten a fully working GNOME environment, never ever.

When i tried to start up gnome, gnome-panel mostly didn't even come up, and once it came, it crashed, the weird thing is that there was nothing unusual in .xsession-errorsv no more ubuntu for me
This sounds exactly like the gnome-keyring-daemon/nm-applet problem that I ran into with gnome. I have since quit using gnome, but it seems like my fix was to "right click" the background and a window would eventually pop up which would allow me to create a desktop icon to start gnome-system-monitor. Once I had started this, I simply took a look at whatever process was using the processor. This was usually gnome-keyring-daemon so I would have to kill that process...then gnome would proceed to start normally.

So, for anyone who wants to avoid these problems: DO NOT USE NM-APPLET or gnome-keyring-daemon will go crazy.

Posts: 253 | Thanked: 104 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Midwest, USA
Originally Posted by danielking View Post
I have new problems with wireless and keyboard/mouse now.
1. The wireless doesn't work. The menu of network manager says "device not managed"
Open a terminal and type
$sudo nano /etc/network/interfaces

Next, add "wlan0" to the line that starts with the word "auto" if it isn't already there. Hit "Ctrl-X" and then "Y" to save the file.

@meizirkki, you have been very usefull in this thread nevertheless. I think it is valuable in itself to be able to run desktop Ubuntu on N810, even though I completely agree with you about its performance. Running OS from swap is frustrating, to me at least. Nice to know it is doable though.

What is really nice about this is, now I have bootable working OS for me to fiddle with (I would prefer genuine Debian, but I am not complaining... much). I will try to get rid of most everything desktop-like things, and use those really light alternatives, like icewm, fluxbox and the kind. Even XFCE4 is probably OK (usable) without that *buntu part of Xubuntu-desktop. This should keep me happy for some time!

I installed Icewm, and it takes about 10 seconds to start from login. It is actually perhaps even snappy, in the sence that this word is generally used . It does take minutes to get to login (should get rid of gdm). Haven't got networking and keyboard to function properly yet (scandinavian layout), but will.

Posts: 53 | Thanked: 48 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Montreal, Canada
Originally Posted by meizirkki View Post

First, thanks meizirkki for your constant help to forum members, including myself. I agree with you here that full gnome is unusable but with some sacrifices and adjustments, gnome can be fast and very usable on the n800/n810.

I have installed gnome-core without all the extras . I did not install gdm or nm-applet so i use startx to start gnome . I also opted to replace nautilus with pcmanfm (much lighter/faster) for file management and desktop handling. Gnome takes less than 30 seconds to fully load for me which i find very reasonable for such a full featured DE.

Once loaded (less than 30 sec from startx), gnome is very responsive taking 2 sec to open the file manager and 5 sec to open midori.

Replacing nautilus with pcmanfm made a big difference since nautilus is very memory hungry. http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-rep...in-ubuntu.html

For the issues with touchsceen/keyboard on n800/n810:
As mentioned by meizirkki, download the packages he mentions from the mer repo and downgrade to them. Then through synaptic, select those packages and lock their versions so they don't update automatically (Synaptic-->Package-->Lock). I have the touchscreen and keyboard working perfectly and their relevant packages held back when synaptic is marking upgrades.

I hope this can help people try gnome!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to born2wonder For This Useful Post:

Tags
gnome, kde, ubuntu