Active Topics

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by Pfuh3z View Post
I did however notice that I had some strange "._blablabla" files in the MyDocs folder, and by removing them, my filemanager problem was solved!
I removed them using xterm with the following command:
Code:
rm -r /home/user/MyDocs/._*
I hope it helps!
This is slightly dangerous advice on its own. Anyone doing this should check what's in those folders first before deleting. E.g.:

Code:
ls -alR /home/user/MyDocs/._* | more

Posts: 295 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Manchester, UK
Originally Posted by MohammadAG View Post
It's a bug in the file manager, you have more than 32 files (and folders) in MyDocs, move some stuff into folders till you have <32 files, then restart the file manager.
Edit: bug report here https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=5838 vote for it
i have the same double folders issue. i've moved all the files from the documents folder but still have the same problem?
i haven't tried rebooting my device if it that means anythin?

thanks,
nathan

Posts: 37 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Antwerp, Belgium
Originally Posted by pelago View Post
This is slightly dangerous advice on its own. Anyone doing this should check what's in those folders first before deleting. E.g.:

Code:
ls -alR /home/user/MyDocs/._* | more
I see what you mean, you're right, I should have included *some* warning that blindly putting in 'rm' commands is "kinda" dangerous.
If someone would run the exact code I provided nothing would go wrong (the ._xxxxx files serve no specific use for as far as I know? someone please correct me if I'm wrong though!), but fact of the matter is indeed that if someone would make an error inputting the code I provided, they might mess things up...
Thank you

Dries

-- Loving my N900 and the Maemo community since Feb. 2010!

The Following User Says Thank You to Pfuh3z For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
(the ._xxxxx files serve no specific use for as far as I know?)
Given the variety of different apps that people might have installed, some of which might store data in a folder named like that, I'm not sure this is universally true.

Originally Posted by Helmuth View Post
Hi amazol123,

Fine. It worked, but not because you deleted the "._?" File. It worked simply by accident.

Solution:
You have simply to reduce the number of Files in te MyDocs Directory to 32 or lower.
Follow the Link from pel in this Post: #42
Awesome I deleted some stuff from the my docs folder and just that easy the duplicate folders in the file manager disappeared.

Posts: 40 | Thanked: 86 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Sweden
._* files are "apple double"-files created on non-hfs file systems mounted on a Mac OS system used to store the resource fork of a file, like custom Finder icon and stuff like that. You can safely remove them AFAIK. More info can be found e.g. at http://support.apple.com/kb/TA20578 or just google "apple double".

There's supposedly some environment variable or other setting you can set to tell Mac OS not to create the ._ files, but you have to google for that, I don't remember it by heart.

Last edited by demiurgus; 2010-03-10 at 14:33.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to demiurgus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 36 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bandung, Indonesia
I see what you mean, you're right, I should have included *some* warning that blindly putting in 'rm' commands is "kinda" dangerous.
If someone would run the exact code I provided nothing would go wrong (the ._xxxxx files serve no specific use for as far as I know? someone please correct me if I'm wrong though!), but fact of the matter is indeed that if someone would make an error inputting the code I provided, they might mess things up...
Thank you

Dries
It worked, but not because you deleted the "._?" File. It worked simply by accident.

Solution:
You have simply to reduce the number of Files in te MyDocs Directory to 32 or lower.
Follow the Link from pel in this Post: #42 and that is https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=5838#c42

Source: Helmuth's post

Posts: 1,338 | Thanked: 1,055 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ California, USA / Jordan
Hey all,

I am experiencing a weird problem where the main folders of the MyDocs are showing up twice in the file manager also the ringtones that were not showing up in the media player are now showing up!

Here's screenshots of what's going on:

Media Player:

I am not too worried about it since I am going to do a full flash to the N900 when the PR1.2 comes out, but I am just wondering what could be causing this problem?

Thanks in advance,

BaNdOrA

Last edited by bandora; 2010-03-30 at 06:13.

Posts: 254 | Thanked: 95 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ New Delhi, India
i have seen his a couple of times on my phone too. even a reboot doesn't cure it sometimes.... it goes away on its own too.

Posts: 1,338 | Thanked: 1,055 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ California, USA / Jordan
Originally Posted by navsin View Post
i have seen his a couple of times on my phone too. even a reboot doesn't cure it sometimes.... it goes away on its own too.
Weird.. It did this by itself out of the blue.. I rebooted many times even took out the battery... etc. but still.. I sure hope it disappears by itself.. The duplication doesn't bother me as much as the unnecessary sound files (in this case the ringtones) being included in the Media Player... I use shuffle so sometimes those sounds gets played which is quite annoying.

Tags
audio video, bug, bug 5838, directories, directories shown twice, documents, double directories, double folders, doubled directories, doubled folders, duplicate directories, duplicate folders, file, file manager, folders, folders shown twice, fremantle, items, maemo, maemo 5, manager