Notices

Posts: 52 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by klinglerware View Post
In terms of added functionality, perhaps the addition of alternative currency rate sources could be explored. For example, other applications use sources like the IMF or the Bank of Canada. I think that the available currencies using the ECB source will be adequate for most people (it is for me), but perhaps offering an alternative may improve coverage for users who need a currency not covered by ECB.

Also, you should consider adding some very basic conversions for situations a traveler may encounter: for example, basic imperial to metric measurement, clothing/shoe size, and temperature. I do realize that other applications exist for measurement conversion, but it would be nice to have the basic conversions a traveler would need all in a single application--if simplicity can be maintained. Again, the beauty of your application is its simplicity--if additional conversion capability introduces too much bloat, then it may not be worth it.
This is a valid point personally it would be good for the app to have a secondary or third location to pull the currency conversation data incase your main site goes down, so the user seamlessy keeps working on that 2nd/3rd site and you can release an update to fix it (which there would be no real rush since the user is happily working).

Also i agree with the converstions for other measurements, if you built in a whole load of standard converstions like the iphone app "converter" you would have a very powerful all-in-one app.

Great work !!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sandybeach For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sandybeach View Post
This is a valid point personally it would be good for the app to have a secondary or third location to pull the currency conversation data incase your main site goes down, so the user seamlessy keeps working on that 2nd/3rd site and you can release an update to fix it (which there would be no real rush since the user is happily working).

Also i agree with the converstions for other measurements, if you built in a whole load of standard converstions like the iphone app "converter" you would have a very powerful all-in-one app.

Great work !!
The version 0.6-1 has already two sources for updating exchange rates. It's currently in Extras-testing.

The version 0.8-3, which I just uploaded to Extras-devel, includes the measurements unit conversions.

The Following User Says Thank You to Sasler For This Useful Post:
Posts: 459 | Thanked: 669 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ The DMV
Originally Posted by Sasler View Post
The version 0.6-1 has already two sources for updating exchange rates. It's currently in Extras-testing.

The version 0.8-3, which I just uploaded to Extras-devel, includes the measurements unit conversions.
0.6-1 is working great for me--I will vote for it on the testing site

I will see if I have some time to play with 0.8-3 this weekend...

The Following User Says Thank You to klinglerware For This Useful Post:
Posts: 344 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Los Angeles
Works well here. Looks like the settings menu has been replaced - is good.

I also like the way you handled additional ("next") currencies. And adding basic unit conversions just swell

The Following User Says Thank You to sorodoros For This Useful Post:
I forgot to mention that the latest version will again restore all settings to defaults, so you will lose the custom currencies. Sorry about that.

I just uploaded version 0.8-4 to Extras-devel. I made some changes/additions to the help files compared to 0.8-3. Also the help files are now context sensitive to the window.

As usual, feedback is appreciated.

The version 0.6-1 in Extras-testing has enough votes now. Thank you for voting.

I still need testers for version 0.8-4 that is in Extras-devel. I would be very grateful for any feedback.

Thanks

As there has been requests to add some currencies that are pegged to the US Dollar, I made a new version (0.8-5). In this version there is a Pegged to the US Dollar toggle button in Currency Edit. With this feature the exchange rates are calculated automatically during update for custom currencies that are pegged to the US Dollar.

Unfortunately the autobuilder in maemo.org seems to be broken now, so I'm not able to upload it to Extars-devel. I will do it as soon as it works again. I will notify when it is successfully uploaded.

I finally was able to upload the latest version as the autobuilder is working again. The latest version in Extras-devel is 0.8-6. Please test it.

Thanks

Posts: 459 | Thanked: 669 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ The DMV
I played around with 0.8-3 a little this weekend. I have to say that I'm pretty impressed by the improvements since the last release. I like how you can save the currencies and unit conversions that you care about the most. The UI is clean and mostly intuitive.

The unit settings page was a little confusing at first, but I got the hang of it just by playing around with it. My sense is that you can probably leave the layout as is and see if the documentation is adequate. But if you are still getting feedback about the settings layout, you should consider adding headers (maybe in smaller font) to delineate the sections on the left-most column on the page.

Categories
Area
Length

Saved Conversions

Fahrenheit-Celsius
Mile per Hour - Kilometre...

I don't think it's necessary, though. As I said, I figured iout the layout just by playing around with it.

One other set of conversions you should consider implementing is clothing and shoe size conversions. I think that the tricky thing with that is that they may not have set conversion factors--I think you would have to rely on conversion tables for those cases.

Otherwise, great job!

The Following User Says Thank You to klinglerware For This Useful Post: